Symptoms of high g force

jstro

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John S
Is being somewhat slow-witted after a few high-g maneuvers recognized as a symptom of high g? It's not mentioned in the documents I've read about it. I ask this because I'm learning aerobatics and my g-tolerance is pretty low. In addition to feeling a little sick, my head gets that woozy feeling and it lasts for hours after the flight. Taking a nap helps though. But what concerns me is that I feel like I'm a bit slow witted after running through some high g maneuvers. I don't get any of the high g vision symptoms nor do I feel like I'm about to pass out, but it seems difficult for me to think through things. For example, I was 8 miles SW when I called the tower and they said to report a 2 mile right base for runway 9. It took me an unusually long time to visualize all this and get myself oriented.

I would think that reduced blood flow to the brain might produce this kind of symptom, but it's not mentioned like I said. This particular day I didn't help myself either -- I was dehydrated and skipped my morning meal, which is definitely bad. I'll try to be better about that in the future. Physically I'm carrying 30 extra pounds but I get regular exercise, both aerobic and strength training.

Thanks for your help.

For me it was always that I would get sleepy around 2 hours after flying and nap in and out. Enjoyable naps though. Never really had a tolerance issue, so can't help you there.

Mild dehydration has certainly exacerbated the effects of G in me previously.

Extra 300L training.

Thanks OzPilot, and thanks Dr. Bruce. I was hoping you'd chime in. So chalking this up to typical g-force response of a newbie aerobatic pilot is reasonable, or do you think a visit to an AME is in order? Nothing has been out of order in any of my physicals so far (blood work good, heart/lungs good, blood pressure good). The other thing is I'm a Midwestern flatlander I never do any flying at 8000 feet except when doing aerobatics so maybe a bit of hypoxia might have something to do with it. So I'm inclined to think I'm just being a hypochondriac. Or maybe I really am getting slow-witted as I get older :)

LOL, yep that's pretty normal until your body acclimates to it.

For example, I was 8 miles SW when I called the tower and they said to report a 2 mile right base for runway 9. It took me an unusually long time to visualize all this and get myself oriented.

I'm thinking it's not the G's, but that you're just braindead after a session of aerobatics. Some call this "braindeath", and happens quite a bit to folks learning aerobatics, since it involves new sensations, intense concentration, and for some, stress and a bit of fear. Experienced aerobatic instructors know when to knock it off for a flight, because students can get to the point of doing really stupid things because their brain is so overloaded. Even for experienced aerobatic pilots, there's typically a point after which a practice session has diminishing returns, and it's time to end the flight. For me it's about 25 minutes of hard practice. Decompress for a bit after a flight, and I'd bet your 'mental acuity' would be back to normal.

I'm thinking it's not the G's, but that you're just braindead after a session of aerobatics. Some call this "braindeath", and happens quite a bit to folks learning aerobatics, since it involves new sensations, intense concentration, and for some, stress and a bit of fear. Experienced aerobatic instructors know when to knock it off for a flight, because students can get to the point of doing really stupid things because their brain is so overloaded. Even for experienced aerobatic pilots, there's typically a point after which a practice session has diminishing returns, and it's time to end the flight. For me it's about 25 minutes of hard practice. Decompress for a bit after a flight, and I'd bet your 'mental acuity' would be back to normal.

Yep, it's what happens when you come off an adrenaline load.

The same thing happens to new student pilots or even experienced pilots learning something new without the G's. Take on enough stress and your brain will get tired and by the end will be rather slow.

No trip to the AME. You are no longer "young" and you have to build a tolerance....or learn your limits. Aircraft can be stressed to +6 Gs but it's not a common human that can remain functional at 1,200 pounds.

I have a nickname that I have vowed never to disclose due to my marginal performance in the centrifuge. But that was in a far off galaxy a looooonnng time ago.

Your experience sounds pretty normal as everyone else has stated. Even at the beginning of the season it still takes a while to build up G tolerance as well as getting acclimated. Flying acro well and doing figures safely are hard enough, and doing a good G strain and maintaining your situational awareness are physically and mentally fatiguing. Sounds like a pretty normal response. You should fine everything gets slower and easier with more time in the plane.

Yup, totally normal. If you don't get sick, you'll get stupid. The good news is, you'll acclimate to it just like anything else. Just remember to take it easy and leave yourself with enough brain power & fuel in the tanks to get back safe.

Hydration and for most having some food in their belly helps with the woozy feelings. Agree with everyone new aerobatic pilots need to adjust to doing almost everything in basic training you were wired not to do.

A drink of water before the flight isn't hydration. You'll need to drink your 64 oz per day or more for several days to get to the point of being normally hydrated.

have fun!

Adequate hydration means ****in clear to straw colored urine out of a full bladder every few hours.

Not exactly compatible with long range fuel tanks unless you bring a portajohn with you.

Back