Swollen Eyes

U

Unregistered

Today I went to the urgent care clinic because my eyes were swollen almost shut.

Turns out a new sunscreen that I used which burned when I applied it (on Tuesday) had a delayed allergic affect.

The doctor said delayed allergic reactions are normal, told me to take some Benadryl (which I have never had before), and sent me home.

The medicine is over the counter, but makes me very drowsy, so I looked on the FAA site to see how long I would be grounded.

This is from the FAA site and is meant for AMEs. Just wanted to share in case any of you take Benadryl when you are "puffy":

Do Not Fly.

Airmen should not fly while using any of the medications in the Do Not Issue section above or using any of the medications or classes/groups of medications listed below.

All of these medications below may cause sedation (drowsiness) or impair cognitive function, seriously degrading pilot performance. This impairment can occur even when the individual feels alert and is apparently functioning normally - in other words, the airman can be "unaware of impair."

For aviation safety, airmen should not fly following the last dose of any of the medications below until a period of time has elapsed equal to:

5-times the maximum pharmocologic half life of the medication; or

5-times the maximum hour dose interval if pharmacologic half-life information is not available. For example, there is a 30-hour wait time for a medication that is taken every 4 to 6 hours (5 times 6)

Sleep aids. All the currently available sleep aids, both prescription and over-the-counter (OTC), can cause impairment of mental processes and reaction times, even when the individual feels fully awake.

Wait times for currently available prescription sleep aids

Diphenhydramine (e.g., Benadryl). Many OTC sleep aids contain diphenhydramine as the active ingredient. The wait time after diphenhydramine is 60 hours (based on maximum pharmacologic half life)

. . . so basically, I can't fly for 3 days after my last dose (to be safe). I only started today, so there goes any chance of weekend flying.

Grab a CFI or a safety buddy. Explain why and go for that hamburger.
Serious question, not a dig, because I don't know the answer - assuming you're planning to do the manipulation of the controls, is this a good idea?

If you're grounded because of, say, kidney stones there's obviously no reason to think that your performance will be impaired unless you're physically in discomfort. In which case you'll know it, and can pass control to your safety buddy (who is legally PIC).

If you're grounded because you're taking a medication that might impair judgement / skill, seems more problematic.

What happens to you and / or your (legally PIC) safety buddy if something gets bent while you're the one manipulating the controls?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back