Switching to a new type

jcepiano

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jcepiano
Do you have any particular strategies you use when learning a new type of aircraft? I'm thinking of getting checked out on a C150 Aerobat after flying C172R's quite a bit. Any advice?

Just the obvious.

Read the POH (have them email it to you if possible) memorize your speeds, capacities and weights.

Use a picture of the panel and work on your flows.

Do a good amount of work in the stall series, Dutch rolls and engine failures. Id image you'll also be doing some spin training in that plane.

Get the speeds down, also get the stall characteristics down,and enjoy the new experience.

Do you have any particular strategies you use when learning a new type of aircraft? I'm thinking of getting checked out on a C150 Aerobat after flying C172R's quite a bit. Any advice?

I usually ask about the big shiny knobs and switches first then work outwards from there.

Write your own checklist for the new aircraft.

A C150 won't give you much trouble. Roughly, 5 knots slower approach and stall speeds, no left/right fuel selector, only two sumps on the wings, and the tach is in a different place.

Rule #1 when going to a 150 from a 172:
If you are chunky, loose weight first. The 150 is a tight fit!

Otherwise, A Cessna is a Cessna. Most of the V-speeds remain constant for all single-engine aircraft.

You DID say Aerobat. Good! Another problem with the early 150's (-ought and -A models) is that they have BENCH seats that are NOT adjustable. (Also takes some getting used to).

The -150 also has a lower cruise speed and the flaps ARE like barn doors, if you extend them beyond 30*.
They also have a lethargic rate of climb (but a higher service ceiling than the 172) and two fewer seats. The OLD models also have a pull handle to activate the starter rather than the key. They transmit engine vibration, so if you plan on doing LONG cross-countries, visit the John before you fly (BTDT)

Back