Switch to Basic Med after Lasik

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by LasikDone, May 9, 2021.

1. LasikDone

LasikDone Guest

I had a medical that required deferral but was approved then had the bright idea to go get Lasik. Since then I've had mild starbursting at night and never reported the Lasik to the FAA (also haven't flown so no violation). Instead of either lying and saying the starbursts have resolved, or trying my luck with reporting the complication to the FAA and seeing what they do, restrictions they add, tests they want etc etc, would it be legal to just switch to BasicMed now and never report it to the FAA? (at least until I decide to get another medical)

2. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast
    Might be legal, but whether it’s wise is another matter....

3. Lindberg

Lindberg Final Approach

Display name:
    Lindberg
    If you never go for another medical certificate from an AME, you will not be required to report the LASIK complications. The vuse Basic Med, you and a state-licensed physician will need to agree that you meet the criteria for fitness under Basic Med. And of course, regardless of which path you choose, you are prohibited from PIC during any period you know you have a condition that interferes with your safe operation of an aircraft.

4. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display name:
    steingar
    Glasses suck, but no starbursts. Good luck to the OP. Sounds like you're done flying at night at the very least.

5. Brad Douglas MD MPH AME

Brad Douglas MD MPH AME Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    Dr Brad
    Go to an Ophthalmologist and get this taken care of - you do not want to have an issue - especially flying at night - could be a simple fix, and then YES report the Lasik on form 8500-7 to the FAA - your AME can do this for your - but the form needs to be signed by an ophthalmologist/optometrist.

Palmpilot likes this.