Swamp Cirrus

I'm glad he survived without injury to fly another day. Whether he gets insured again in another Cirrus... ? This should be a good story.

Does it really make sense to call that the "Landing" phase?

I'm glad he survived without injury to fly another day. Whether he gets insured again in another Cirrus... ? (/quote]

Well, the report said "engine problem".. how should that change his insurance?

so you forcibly land in a swamp. How do you avoid the gators?

Bring along a few Sooners?

(Sorry, I could not resist)

That plane is in remarkably good condition considering the events. Does chute deployment itself render the aircraft unrepairable?

That plane is in remarkably good condition considering the events. Does chute deployment itself render the aircraft unrepairable?

Some get repaired but most don't. One Cirrus that chuted down was sufficiently intact to be flown back to a repair station from where it has ended up. If I recall correctly, that was the one that was mistakenly fueled with Jet A.

Would be cool if you could steer it with the rudder pedals. :) Wrong kind of chute for that...

Ilan Reich, who parachuted down into the Hudson claims that he steered away from some big fuel farm on the ground by using power and rudder while under canopy.

Of course, you're supposed to kill the engine, electrical and fuel and sit back and enjoy the ride but I guess with these non-standard procedures, there's always some improvisation possible.

I've been under the impression that the chute risers are inlayed in the spine of the fuselage so if it deploys, that's it for the airframe.

Some get repaired but most don't. One Cirrus that chuted down was sufficiently intact to be flown back to a repair station from where it has ended up. If I recall correctly, that was the one that was mistakenly fueled with Jet A.

The one from Addison that lost the aileron post-maintenance was taken back by Cirrus and restored to fly again.

I've been under the impression that the chute risers are inlayed in the spine of the fuselage so if it deploys, that's it for the airframe.

The straps are under the outermost skin on the roof to the rear sides, where they peel fore to aft on deployment. It must possible to refinish it, because there are some that were restored to flight.

Ilan Reich, who parachuted down into the Hudson claims that he steered away from some big fuel farm on the ground by using power and rudder while under canopy.

Yep - No reason you can't use those to pick your landing spot, unless the lack of one or the other working was the reason you pulled the chute to begin with!

The one from Addison that lost the aileron post-maintenance was taken back by Cirrus and restored to fly again.

Yup - But I think that was more of a marketing gimmick than anything. It's cost-prohibitive to rebuild 'em, which is why the insurance companies generally decide not to. You not only have to re-do the top part of the plane where the chute came out, you also have to re-build the landing gear, as it has probably collapsed like it's designed to.

Yep - No reason you can't use those to pick your landing spot, unless the lack of one or the other working was the reason you pulled the chute to begin with!

Yup - But I think that was more of a marketing gimmick than anything. It's cost-prohibitive to rebuild 'em, which is why the insurance companies generally decide not to. You not only have to re-do the top part of the plane where the chute came out, you also have to re-build the landing gear, as it has probably collapsed like it's designed to.

How big a deal can either one of those be when compared to the replacement cost of the airframe?

How big a deal can either one of those be when compared to the replacement cost of the airframe?

It's a throw-away plastic airplane... :D

I just figured if you popped the chute, they would just replace the fuselage and reattach the old wings.

Back