SW-Ohio/MI/IN/Everyone Gathering

Sorry, but I have already cancelled the plane, weather :yikes:
A 99s meeting next Sunday, but available Saturday.

Great town! I always loved the name, and I remember it being very clean, classic main street Americana styled town.

You should check out troy! And the locals call say it Pick-a-way (not that anyone cares thou) lol

-VanDy

You should check out troy! And the locals call say it Pick-a-way (not that anyone cares thou) lol -VanDy

Been there, another nice place, but it doesn't stick in my mind as much as Piqua for some reason. A good first impression, I guess?

I'm a Buckeye, although we're down in Atlanta now. I've been following this thread just to see all the other Buckeyes come out. It makes me homesick!

I'm not a "local" although I've lived here 15 years. I say "pick-wah," but I've heard a lot of people say "Pick-a-way". We're famous for a couple of things, most recently for a series of children's books called "Captain Underpants" by Dav Pilkey. According to what I understand, he's actually never been here, he just picked Piqua as the location of his stories because we used to have a big underwear factory here.

It's also the home of Hartzell Propeller, which is why I'm on this forum. I'm a Tech Rep there, and help out mechanics, pilots, and shops with any maintenance issues they might be having.

While we don't have a restaurant at our airport (I17), I'd be more than happy to arrange a tour of the Hartzell Propeller factory if you guys wanted to fly in here sometime. If you wanted to come in on a Saturday or Sunday the shop will be mostly idle, but I could get us in there and you could see how propellers are made, and we could figure out a place to eat afterwords.

Just a suggestion, as it looks like the Muncie thing is going to (literally) be a washout.

I'm out. Next weekend is already bad.

We're definitely out for Sunday. Forecast probability of SLD :eeek: at 1000' to 3000' between here and there, so even IFR isn't going to happen.

Sigh... Bailing also. Just a little bit more work than I wanted to do for lunch out after working overnight and having to work again tonight. :( Next weekend is also filled with another commitment in St. Louis. There's always next time! I wish yesterday had been better schedule-wise for more people. :(

Yea I am going to bail also. The aircraft I have access to is not IFR right now so I guess we need to find another date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That sounds fun! I could help with ground transport and there is 'Buffalo Jacks' not too far in Covington that has a good wild game selection, buffalo, elk, alligator rattle snake and regular food too.

I'm not a "local" although I've lived here 15 years. I say "pick-wah," but I've heard a lot of people say "Pick-a-way". We're famous for a couple of things, most recently for a series of children's books called "Captain Underpants" by Dav Pilkey. According to what I understand, he's actually never been here, he just picked Piqua as the location of his stories because we used to have a big underwear factory here.

It's also the home of Hartzell Propeller, which is why I'm on this forum. I'm a Tech Rep there, and help out mechanics, pilots, and shops with any maintenance issues they might be having.

While we don't have a restaurant at our airport (I17), I'd be more than happy to arrange a tour of the Hartzell Propeller factory if you guys wanted to fly in here sometime. If you wanted to come in on a Saturday or Sunday the shop will be mostly idle, but I could get us in there and you could see how propellers are made, and we could figure out a place to eat afterwords.

Just a suggestion, as it looks like the Muncie thing is going to (literally) be a washout.

-VanDy

Ironically, this would have been doable IFR from KVLL... no forecast icing below the flight levels along the route until late in the afternoon, and in fact the higher you go the better. West of KFWA it gets dicey by mid-afternoon though. We could actually have a meetup of IR pilots somewhere in OH today... anyone?

Well it appears that I have just secured a Cirrus, so I might just be going now. Could be a little late but is anyone else thinking of getting out

6y5a7y6u.jpg

Looks like we are the only ones here ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KMIE 131715Z 30008KT 1 3/4SM HZ OVC005 05/02 A2991 RMK AO2 CIG 003V010

You guys enjoy lunch and be careful. We will see you on the next get together.

Looks like we are the only ones here ha.
Awww... sorry to hear. :( Hope it was a fun flight though.
KMIE 131715Z 30008KT 1 3/4SM HZ OVC005 05/02 A2991 RMK AO2 CIG 003V010
Yes that sounds like it would have been doable IFR... from the east. The SLD wasn't very far away though. I'm kinda glad I stayed close to home, if things had gone south sooner than forecast I would have spent all day driving home. I'll catch the next one hopefully.

I thought some of us were looking toward next weekend? Either Saturday or Sunday works for me.

For now weather is looking good and cold. Sunday 1/20/13 sounds great for MIE.

I will need to check with my better half to make sure I am not scheduled for anything else, but Sat or Sun should work for me. Sat is always better for me but I understand that Sun is best for most.

Last edited:
I have the presidential blessing so I just need to know which day and decent weather.

I can't make it this weekend (heading to Detroit for the big autoshow) but am interested in future weekends.

Looks good Sunday with a dry cold front moving through. As long as winds are under 25 kts, I am okay.

I'm in too, but last I checked the weather, Sunday looked "mostly cloudy" here, which after a cold front usually means low MVFR clouds (read ice). Around the lakes, there is usually no such thing as a "dry cold front". :rolleyes:

This could still be a go if they're not too low. B)

Edit: now it also says "blustery". :(

I'm thinking Saturday before the front moves through has a better chance of being flyable.

Last edited:
Im planning on going to urbana on saturday if the weather is decent. There is a rc swap meet going on from 9-1 in the museum hangar.

Ok, we have one going to Urbanna on Saturday, I am open to either Urbanna or Muncie. Is anyone else planning on a trip for this weekend?

I'd rather do Muncie. Urbana is too close to Columbus.

I almost purchased an Arrow that was blue and yellow. Please notice the gray with scarlet stripe on the aircraft I did purchase.

Hmmmm I digress

I am suggesting lunch Saturday a Muncie, y'all speak up.

Last edited:
Well Tim, right now saturday is looking sunny and windy. Sunday is partly cloudy and cold.

If we go Saturday, I will need to ride with you, if we go Sunday I have a plane.
I almost purchased an Arrow that was blue and yellow. Please notice the gray with scarlet stripe on the aircraft I did purchase.

Hmmmm I digress

I am suggesting lunch Saturday a Muncie, y'all speak up.

IDK she went last weekend. If I get the training plane yes. I will give her a lesson on the way.

Jeannette is a maybe. Send me some numbers in pm so I can do w&b just so we know.

Well Tim, right now saturday is looking sunny and windy. Sunday is partly cloudy and cold.

If we go Saturday, I will need to ride with you, if we go Sunday I have a plane.
Now that the wx situation is becoming clearer, I vote for Sunday too. Saturday is looking REALLY windy, as in 60-80 kt winds at 3000. If any of that mixes down to the surface it's going to be bad news for spam cans, and moderate to severe turbulence is pretty much a given.

Last edited:
Hmm I am not seeing much of an improvement in winds till late Sunday like after 1600 local.

The weather gods are not cooperating are they?

Last edited:
25G35 Sat with warmer temps. Sun less wind and much colder. Ready to brush up on our xw flying? Sun is probably best, but either day works for me.

Hmm I am not seeing much of an improvement in winds till late Sunday like after 1600 local.

The weather gods are not cooperating are they?
What are you using for a forecast winds source? I am using ADDS winds images, specifically at 3000 MSL. At 12Z Sunday I see 20-30 kt N winds over east central IN, 20-30 kt from WNW over OH, and 30-40 kt from NW over SE MI. By 18Z (1300 local) those winds decrease to under 15 kt everywhere except over SE MI where they are still 15-20 kt. Surface winds are shown >20 kts generally from the W at 12Z, diminishing to under 15 by 18Z.

It won't be a smooth ride, but it looks a lot better than Saturday. The main concern (at least coming from MI) will be low clouds, which given the cold temps will probably be full of ice. This looks like a trip to do VFR, or not at all.

I had just glanced at a local forecast for surface winds and hadn't had a chance to check the ADDS till a few minutes ago. I see what you are seeing.

Back