SW-Ohio/MI/IN/Everyone Gathering

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
As we discovered in the other thread, it turns out that there are a number of PoAers in the SW-Ohio area. We're now based at I67 - Cincinnati West.

It would be a lot of fun to get together. We have been to Grimes (I74) once for lunch, but didn't find it to be all that great. Maybe we ordered the wrong thing.

It's probably fairly unlikely we'd be able to do something before New Years, simply because of family, work, plane and car work I need to get done, and preparing for the upcoming trip to Belize. So probably something after January 1st would be better.

Since I'm new to the area, I'm not very good for suggestions. So, thoughts?

Let us know. We are based at PMH- Portsmouth. We have been to I74 twice and both times were good but not great. Nice to get together with other pilots and their families.

Wayne,
I was just at PMH yesterday for breakfast. The best thing at Grimes is the pie, and that there are other things to see there as in the air museum and reconstruction project of a B17.

I have also heard good things about 38D up north.

I used to stop at a Denny's next to Bucyrus but that was a long time ago so I am not certain it is still there.

I19 is a short drive to The National Museum of the USAF at Wright Patterson AFB if you want to rent a car. Great collection of airplanes.

Have also heard good things about Rick boatyard.

Cheers

If you guys and gals wanted to do I19 I could shuttle folks in my van. I only live about20 minutes from Xenia and 15 minutes from Moraine.

KPCW now has a museum and diner open on the field.

What ever you all want to do is OK with me. I think I have been to all those places and they are all OK. Just looking to get out and meet some people from here.

This month is probably not going to work for me. I have a Wedding this Saturday. Picking up a kid from college the 15th and will be having knee Sx before the end of the year. Not sure how long it will take before I can crawl in and out of the Arrow after the surgery. Matt, might ask you to take her up a couple times to keep the moisture out of the oil for me while I am recovering.

Seems that if we keep this thread open (i have subscribed to it) any of us can simply state where we are heading for the following Saturday and see who else might like to show as well.

I was thinking I could even take the spare grille to the hanger and if some of you wanted to fly into MGY I could do burgers and dogs at the hanger. Probably best to wait till spring for that but it could be fun.

All sounds good. I have not been to the Dayton AF Museum since I was 7. That would be fun Tim, as well as grilling out. We look forward to meeting some more of you guys.

If you guys and gals wanted to do I19 I could shuttle folks in my van. I only live about20 minutes from Xenia and 15 minutes from Moraine.

I could also help shuttle if its near the dayton/xenia/urbana area, im only about 20 minute drive from all of them.

Matt, might ask you to take her up a couple times to keep the moisture out of the oil for me while I am recovering.
I'm sure I can help you out with that :thumbsup:. You might have to twist my arm:no:

Seems that if we keep this thread open (i have subscribed to it) any of us can simply state where we are heading for the following Saturday and see who else might like to show as well.
Sounds like a great Idea.

I was thinking I could even take the spare grille to the hanger and if some of you wanted to fly into MGY I could do burgers and dogs at the hanger. Probably best to wait till spring for that but it could be fun.
Don't seem like we are going to get many more nice days. Oh well it is Ohio.

TZR has a decent on-field barbecue joint. At least those who eat those kinds of things tell me it's good. No museum, though.

That would be good spot for a meet up. But I can't fly there. I suppose I could taxi down to the FBO and meet you all.

The breakfast at the restaurant at the airport in Columbus Indiana is also good.

LOL... +1 for Rick's Boatyard. Easy flight to include people based in IL! :yes:

Hi from Cinci KLUK and I'm interested All of the ideas sound good.

LOL... +1 for Rick's Boatyard. Easy flight to include people based in IL! :yes:

Party-crasher!!

FYI, pretty sure the Denny's at Bucyrus is gone. And it's a few miles into town. (Unless I'm thinking of another Ohio airport just like it.)

It was 20years ago when I was there last and was right across the street from the field. Wouldn't be surprised if it was gone.

Thought i'd bump this up to keep it fresh in everyones head!

Weekends are pretty busy until January for most of us...just a guess. Looking forward to it though. Appreciate the reminder.

I'm in, Columbus, IN is a good meal facility at KBAK as mentioned above. Pick a Sunday in January as far as date goes?

Ok Gang, The surgery on my knee is next Friday 12/21. Cards and money welcome (pilots always need money). I am hoping for a speedy recovery so I can crawl into and out of the airplane soon. My son is a bit bummed as he is driving home from Norfolk, (Lt JG in the Navy) and first thing he asked was if we were going flying. I had to tell him about the knee surgery and the likelihood that it wouldn't happen.

As soon as the knee is better I will be posting up some trips for anyone that is interested.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, as I expect my (at least) monthly travel to/from Columbus to continue for the foreseeable future.

Beautiful day today for flying here in Ohio.

I await a time and place for the meet.

Cheers

I'd love to do a nice winter cross country, and have been itching to visit the museum. It will probably have to be a short notice thing due to weather, say monitor the weather and if a weekend day looks clear in the NE, go. We would just have to keep monitoring this thread in that case

Ok, So I just wanted to try and set a date and see how it works.

How about Sunday January 13th?

Now where?

Popular choices......

1.) Muncie (MIE)
2.) Urbana (I74)
3.) Bolton (TZR)
4.) Portsmoth (PMH)

We might (no guarantees) be able to go.

I'd rather pick someplace that's not I74 simply because my wife and I went there already, and it'd be more fun for us to discover another airport.

Not sure if my knee will let me crawl in the arrow by that date or not but I will put it on the calendar.

Matt, are you renting something to go, you are welcome to tag along with me if I go. If the Arrow has been sitting I would like to have it flown.

We might (no guarantees) be able to go.

I'd rather pick someplace that's not I74 simply because my wife and I went there already, and it'd be more fun for us to discover another airport.
Fair enough. We got a few weeks to try and sort it out. Someone has to get this ball rolling though. :D

As far as I am concerned if we only managed to get two or three airplanes there it would be a great thing. A large gathering would overwhelm most of the smaller restaurants.

Not sure if my knee will let me crawl in the arrow by that date or not but I will put it on the calendar.

Matt, are you renting something to go, you are welcome to tag along with me if I go. If the Arrow has been sitting I would like to have it flown.

Most likely I will get the schoolin airplane, but if you need some help with yours we can get it done.

As far as I am concerned if we only managed to get two or three airplanes there it would be a great thing. A large gathering would overwhelm most of the smaller restaurants.
Thats the point! ha the look on there face is priceless when 30 planes roll up. :yikes:

Can't make the 13th. :(

Rehearsal all day, and then flying to Arkansas in the evening most likely.

Back