Susquehanna River Tour

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
I am taking a day off tomorrow in protest of tropical storm hannah that caused me to push back our Nags Head, NC vacation. Honestly, I really just need a break from work but I thought the first reason sounded so much better.

Looking for a ride along (since Mary canceled her vacation days) or another aircraft interested in making the hop. My preliminary plan of attack is as follows.

KILG-N71-KSEG-N13-KWBW Not a long day but fun making stops in "new to me" airports. Who knows, finding something to eat along the way or an excuse to bum a crew car and explore something different.

Heck, any reason to fly works for me!

Oooo.... So Tempting....

Unfortunately, I have a meeting at 2pm... and need to prepare for that too. Maybe next time if you go up the Delaware River side :yes:

KLOM can be on the way and.,.....your raspy voice sounds really bad, you shouldn't spread germs in the office. The doctor says get some sunshine and fresh air!! A few new airports should have you cured in no time at all.

Sorry, I don't do notes.

If you stop by Williamsport, PA, try some ice cream at Sunset Ice Cream shop! This assumes they are still in business.
They were when I left Williamsport in 1972.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Susquehanna River Tour! I'm going on Friday, but not in the air... I'm floatin' down the river in an intertube. Oh Yes I Am!:goofy:

Susquehanna River Tour! I'm going on Friday, but not in the air... I'm floatin' down the river in an intertube. Oh Yes I Am!:goofy:

When you float by Bridgeport NY wave Hi to my nephew, and the kids

Very tempting Gary, but too much happening at work tomorrow :(

My son and I canoed down the Susquehanna from the West Branch at Shawville to Harrisburg in 8 days 2 years ago.

Was an awesome trip -- quite the change in scenery from second growth forest wilderness to farmland to urban over 218 miles.

The upper West Branch is very scenic -- the water is crystal clear due to the lack of life -- acidic enough from mine drainage to prevent algae, insects, or fish from surviving. The acidity is no threat to humans, however. The rapids are frequent and fun -- Class 3 the highest at Moshannon Falls.

The Susquehanna south of Sunbury is VERY wide and the current seems so slow that the trip becomes rather tedious by canoe. At some points it took us 20 minutes to cross the river.

Still, it was a great adventure and we plan on doing it again next year.

If you stop by Williamsport, PA, try some ice cream at Sunset Ice Cream shop! This assumes they are still in business.
ApacheBob

If he stops in Williamsport, PA, he's probably going to give me a call, at least I hope so!

And I'm not sure of any Sunset Ice Cream shop, we always go to Eders up a few miles from the airport on 87.

ApacheBob

Eders is much better and if you get in around lunchtime, we'll take you.

If he stops in Williamsport, PA, he's probably going to give me a call, at least I hope so!

And I'm not sure of any Sunset Ice Cream shop, we always go to Eders up a few miles from the airport on 87.

LOL, up Lycoming creek road between here and the Wise on the other side of the road, next to Eyeland. (walking distance from the plant)

You have a motercycle... I'm suprised it hasn't found that place by now.

Last edited:
LOL, up Lycoming creek road between here and the Wise on the other side of the road, next to Eyeland. (walking distance from the plant)

Ahh, got it.

You have a motercycle... I'm suprised it hasn't found that place by now.

Oh please, you know exactly what my motorcycle finds - air shows! :D

Went to KWBW first and took care of the things I needed to do then headed south for my stop at Bloomsburg. It was so hazy I could not even make out the mountains south along the river. I contacted Wilkes-Barre approach and changed my final destination to KILG. I bumped my way home, happy to be flying but left wanting to complete the river tour.

Ted,
If I was going to stop at IPT, I would have given you a heads up call. Another time.

Maybe another day I'll get er' done.

It is definitely hazy tonight. I just landed about 25 minutes ago and only flew to Wings from Doylestown - with a quick stop at Perkiomen. Very hazy with some convective activity still going on.

Oh - By The Way and I'll post it in it's own thread. WINGS N WHEELS IS CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER.

Back