Surviving a crash!!

Actually I have read this stuff and keep it in the back of my head everytime I fly commercial. I have always wondered however what the brace position acutally does for you.

AdamZ said:
Actually I have read this stuff and keep it in the back of my head everytime I fly commercial. I have always wondered however what the brace position acutally does for you.

I think you're basically putting yourself where you're going to end up anyways. Nobody's strong enough to prevent their head hitting the seat in front of them. If you hit it hard, it'll hurt. If you place it there gently before impact, it'll just get pushed into the seat, which is better than slamming into it.

Chris

cwyckham said:
I think you're basically putting yourself where you're going to end up anyways. Nobody's strong enough to prevent their head hitting the seat in front of them. If you hit it hard, it'll hurt. If you place it there gently before impact, it'll just get pushed into the seat, which is better than slamming into it.

Chris
Right. Momentum will slam the densest part of your body (your head) forward and upward into the seat or bulkhead in front of you. By putting your head there to start, you reduce the whiplash effect.

Likewise, by folding your hands and arms into and across your body, you minimize the likelihood of flailing and breaking your arms. A good idea is to grip your seatbelt in your hands with arms crossed. In the case of disorientation after the crash, you can find the belt buckle by following the belt.

If your feet are pulled in behind your knees, they will not fly forward and break your ankles.

Pilot take note: In the event of a crash or emergency landing, you may have a broken ankle or wrist when you fly the plane all the way down to the ground.

In our small planes, take off your headset so you don't have to remember about it when it is time to get out of the plane. In back seats, put it under the seat. In the front seat, use it to prop the door open.

Secure anything that will become a missile. Take off your glasses and put them where you can get to them when you need them. (I put mine inside my bra.)

Just as we practice other maneuvers, you should practice emergency egress every once in a while. Get into the plane and belted up. Then with eyes closed, hold your breath, and everyone get out and safely away from the plane.

Getting back to the article, do not remove extra clothing if in water. Clothing will help keep you warm. If you are wearing 2 shirts or a shirt and jacket, wrap one around your head and neck to retain warmth. Group up with others and support each other in a quiet fetal pose.

- Aunt Peggy (US Coast Guard Auxiliary)

Last edited:
Back