Survival Bags

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Does anyone pack/carry a survival bag for their longer flights?

Troy Whistman (TangoWhiskey) introduced this idea to me when we did an Angel Flight mission together. His was a small dry bag that contained his 406 MHz PLB, water, food, first aid kit, knife, and other items that would be needed/wanted if he had an off airport landing and had to wait a while for assistance.

I'm thinking of doing one of my own. Especially after we've had our first bit of Texas winter weather (cold wet and would be miserable outdoors). I look at it like insurance: You hope you never need it, but you're sure glad you have it when you do need it.

I have one that I used on the trip to Alaska,keep it stored in the condo,untill I fly long cross country's .just more insurance on those long flights.

My thoughts are:

a. if it ain't strapped to your body then it's merely camping gear and won't help you if you truly "go down" in the wilderness and survive the incident.

b. there are many places where I have driven (especially when I lived in NW AR) where, if I ran off the road, then it'd be days (if not weeks) before someone found me. I don't carry one when I'm driving...why would I when I'm flying?

My thoughts are:

a. if it ain't strapped to your body then it's merely camping gear and won't help you if you truly "go down" in the wilderness and survive the incident.

b. there are many places where I have driven (especially when I lived in NW AR) where, if I ran off the road, then it'd be days (if not weeks) before someone found me. I don't carry one when I'm driving...why would I when I'm flying?

Didn't you know you're supposed to carry your weight in gadgets and gear in your plane on every flight?!?!

I keep the basics in my flight bag on every flight. Powerbars, water, leatherman, chemlights, signal mirror, lighter, mylar blanket, small first aid kit, whistle...

I had a small kit velcroed to he door of my Maule...wasn't strapped to me, but gave the best chances of making it out the door with me otherwise.

wasn't it David who said "as long I have a 6 pack of condoms in my pocket, I'm ready for anything"?

I had a small kit velcroed to he door of my Maule...wasn't strapped to me, but gave the best chances of making it out the door with me otherwise.

I can see that as being the best alternative.

I do know people who fly with a "survival vest" that's stuffed with this and that and the other. I've just never been able to bring myself to look that geeky or be that encumbered. One guy I know has a vest that weighs in at over 30# and he wears it every time he flies. I try hard not to pick on him. :)

[now back to your regularly scheduled program]

My survival gear consists of a 2"x3" plastic card.

Yep, I usually have a couple day's water, a sleeping bag, first aid kit, and some food. Along with the other McGyver tools usually on my person (lighter, knife, etc).

I also wear footwear suitable for marching out.

Not necessarily "official Survival Kit" type of stuff, but, all stuff that I could use to possibly enhance my time.

Troy Whistman (TangoWhiskey) introduced this idea to me when we did an Angel Flight mission together. His was a small dry bag that contained his 406 MHz PLB, water, food, first aid kit, knife, and other items that would be needed/wanted if he had an off airport landing and had to wait a while for assistance.

I'm thinking of doing one of my own. Especially after we've had our first bit of Texas winter weather (cold wet and would be miserable outdoors). I look at it like insurance: You hope you never need it, but you're sure glad you have it when you do need it.

Yes I do.

I'm all for safety, but there's a cost/benefit analysis: What is the likelihood of the kit helping you, versus the convenience and extra weight (i.e. less fuel on board)? How often has someone in the region of the country I fly (i.e. lower 48, east of the rockies) end up surviving a crash only to perish waiting for assistance? With the obvious exception of takeoffs and landings, most of my time is spent at higher altitudes under ATC contact, so if something did happen, I'd likely have time to choose a landing spot near people, and I'd have a chance to notify ATC. Under certain circumstances there is a chance I could go down in a remote area without the opportunity to alert others, but the chance is small.

If I did a lot of flying in sparsely populated areas, my answer would be different. FWIW, I do have manually inflatable PFDs for ops over water. Most of the water I fly over has plenty of boat traffic so I'm not too concerned about floating for days waiting for help.

I typically fly with the following basics in my flight bag.
Hand held radio, protein snack bars, water/Gatorade, knife, lighter, baggie of dryer lint for fire starter and a few small LED flashlights.

For my trip out to Dubuque IA and Rapid City SD I decided to purchase a prepackaged kit from Sportys. It contained the following:
First aid kit
12 Pouches of water
Water purification tablets
Two 2400 calorie food bars
Light stick
Flashlight
Nylon Cord
Orange survival tent
Emergency blankets
Waterproof matches
Ponchos
Whistle/Compass
Gloves
AM/FM Radio with Batteries
Camper’s Stove
Utility Knife

Damn you Mike.
I was just going to bring up all you need is nylons, rubbers, chocolate bars, gold coins and a .45 ACP. For either crashing or a trip to Vegas.

Mike,

You need to contact Levy. IIRC he's one who wears a survival vest.

My thoughts are:

Living in Colorado, albeit the very urban area of Denver, I still travel in the hills. Not only do I have an emergency bag in the airplane, there's also one in the car. Having spent the night on the floor of a hotel (in ski clothes) when the tunnel back to Denver was closed, you learn very fast what will make your life more tolerable.

In fact I have 4 bags - 2 for winter, 2 for rest of the year. I've had to use the winter car bag twice. Haven't use the airplane bags in 15 years and hope to never need to.

There are any number of threads here on POA about this topic as well as online, I won't rehash here other than to add these items (in all the bags)

8 spare AA batteries - I check every 6 months, replace when needed
4 spare D cell batteries (Mag lite and camping strobe)
$10 in quarters

Car, winter - shovel, cat litter (traction for the tires), chains (Colorado has started enforcing the "appropriate tires" rule for cars as well as trucks)

I always have an extra water bowl, leash and collar in the car.

I always fly with water and coats in the plane, and a small first aid kit... but most of my flights are $100 hamburgers.

Since the weather outside is still reminding me winter is coming on, I'm going to add gloves and a watch cap to my list. Waiting is more tolerable if your fingers and ears are warm.

Does anyone pack/carry a survival bag for their longer flights? ...
Yes, but I'm not sure the criterion should be "longer" flights. If you fly over an area where you do not show on ATC radar, there is no cell coverage on the ground, and the nearest road with any traffic or nearest habitation is farther than you can walk if you are injured, then you will be a happy person with a good kit even if the flight plan was an hour.

My kit is heavy on medical stuff, including burn treatments, and includes paracord and a sheet of Tyvek for a shelter plus tools that will help me build a fire. I also carry a PLB. I put the kit together in contemplation of flying in northern Canada where the NRST Airport distance is frequently a three-digit number. No food; I am fat enough to survive for a few days. I think "survival" fishing kits and snare kits are for the delusional.

Gear your survival kit to that which is most likely to kill you.
Ie; it's not food. At least, that is rare. Not saying don't carry food, just that is usually one of our (mistaken) priorities. (Loving food myself, I understand where the sentiment arises from)

Most people who survive a crash without injuries* die of exposure. And in our neck of the woods, a close second is dehydration.
So clothing/shelter/fire items are high on the list.**
Also water. I like to carry multiple small bottles of water scattered about the cabin. I figure a one gallon jug is more likely to end up with me losing all my water if it is damaged, than 8 pint bottles (not to mention become a lethal projectile).
*I probably need a better first aid kit with some compression bandages, tape to make splints etc.
**I carry several large trash bags. They are awesome at protecting a person from wind and precip. They can trap warm air against your skin better than anything.

Yep, we've carried various survival kits over the years. When we flew in Wisconsin and Iowa all winter, it was much more oriented toward cold weather survival. Now, out on the island it's more oriented toward hot weather survival, meaning we carry several gallons of water.

We also carry:

- A Leatherman multi-tool
- Tool kit with all tools necessary to remove upper and lower cowls, and all spark plugs.
- 406 MHZ PIRB
- Flashlights
- Handheld radio
- Jackets/blanket

Here's the article I wrote on survival kits for another site:
There are seven C’s to preparing a survival kit: Combustion, Communication, Consumption, Container, Cordage, Cover, and Cutting. These principles of preparedness apply to any situation from “what do I put in my pockets before I leave the house?” to “what do I stock in my tornado shelter?” In every situation these seven things should be considered. But before we begin to explore each of these, there are two “C’s” you can’t put in a kit. They have to be part of you always.

The two internal “C’s” are Confidence and Conditioning. Confidence is gained through practicing skills and planning. In any situation it’s better to be fit; in a survival situation life may depend on it. One should practice using survival gear. If the item is perishable get two (or three) to have one for practice. Refolding a space blanket is hard but they are cheap so get a few and practice shelters and water collection and even cutting one up to make signals.

Below are the seven “C’s” in a survival kit in alphabetical order. They apply to every day carry (EDC), bug out bags (BOG), get home bags (GHB), remote shelters, and even a home tornado shelter. Each kit should contain multiple methods for each “C.”

Combustion: A lighter, Ferro rod and/or magnesium stick all work with varying degrees of practice. Friction, sun and electrical are other viable means. Again, practice at home on a bright sunny day with a cool drink in hand and comfortable shoes and then again on a rainy winter day and/or night. The kit should contain something to catch a spark such as cotton balls or char cloth. These items have to stay dry to work.

Communication: Communication items include cell phone, whistle, flashlight (with good batteries), flares, and a dye marker if at sea. Every kit should have a signal mirror. As the cost comes down include a personal locating beacon for emergency use.

Consumption: Used to denote the ability to get food. Either the hunter or gatherer method works. The simple bandana can be used for gathering berries, bugs, and snails. Hunting tools include a fishing kit, snare wire, and surgical tubing to make a sling shot, bow, or pole spear. The fishing kit should have braided fishing line, hooks of various sizes, at least one lure, sinkers and a float. Braided fishing line doubles as sewing thread. Natural cork is a good float and cork char makes a good small wound cover against infection. The fishing kit is a convenient place to keep sewing needles.

Container: Used to denote the ability to collect water. The basic container is a cup. Other containers include plastic bags, coated nylon pouches and aluminum foil or a space blanket. These can be used to line a hollowed out area to collect rain. One has to consider whether the container needs to be portable in these instances. The stainless steel water bottle serves several purposes in that it holds allot of water, is portable, and can be used to boil water. In addition to a container, water filtering and treatment are in this category. Water filters are more efficient than boiling and easier to use when on the move. Filters come in all sizes from the straw type for an individual to the reverse osmosis water purification units used in desalinization plants. A good filter will take everything bad out of water including taste. For water treatment, two drops a chlorine bleach will disinfect one quart of clear water.

Cordage: One can never have enough rope. The best and most popular is parachute cord or 550 cord. Always burn the ends when cut to prevent fraying. Also, snare wire can be used as cordage and fishing line is just cordage in the desert. Preserve your cordage by using natural cordage when possible.

Cover: The Mylar space blanket is the go to item for emergency cover. It packs small and light. However, it is flimsy. Because of that, it should be used as a temporary solution until better cover can be found or made. In larger kits, a wool blanket, canvas or plastic tarps and even tents are preferred.

Cutting: Finally we get to what everybody considers the big survival item-the knife. Knives range from the Classic Swiss Army Knife to a single locking blade to a multi-tool to a fixed blade sheath knife to machetes and axes. Creek Stewart’s article for the ArtofManliness is the best I’ve read on knife selection. The kit should include a good sharpener so the cutting blade will remain sharp and safe.

Finally and not a "C," each person should have a separate first aid kit. Mine contains quick clot, 3-4x4 gauze pads, 3” wide roll of gauze, 2” wide roll of gauze, bacitracin and iodine packets, rubber gloves, and a role of medical tape. I also have several Band-Aids and every item is in a waterproof bag. Again, I'm an emergency medical technician and take annual training, your kit should reflect your skills.

Depends where and what conditions. I always have enough food and drink with me that rationed will provide for me a couple days easy. I may carry up to full camping/hunting gear, it all depends, but no, I have no standard 'ditch bag' for planes like I do boats.

Back