"Super" Sport Cub

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this one yet - The new Super Sport Cub LSA from CubCrafters. What other LSA has a 180hp engine, 2,100 fpm climb rate, and a takeoff roll of under 100 feet. Sound like fun - Whee!!!

Did you place your order yet?

"Yahooooo!"

I'm wondering how they kept it down to the LSA limit of 120 knots in level flight at sea level on a standard day with maximum continuous power. They probably set a low continuous RPM limit, or something like that.

I'm wondering how they kept it down to the LSA limit of 120 knots in level flight at sea level on a standard day with maximum continuous power. They probably set a low continuous RPM limit, or something like that.

Their new engine is certified for 180hp for 5 minutes at takeoff, and only 80hp max continuous. Something tells me a lot of people are going to push it a little harder than that. ;)

Of course, the Cub isn't exactly the sleekest airplane around. I don't think a regular 180hp Super Cub is going to do better than 120 knots unless it's got a cruise prop, but who the hell puts a cruise prop on a Super Cub?

hell you can buy a totally refurb'd Super Cub for that, and have the real thing.

But it won't qualify for LSA. At least not the 180 hp super Cub.
The market here is the senior TW pilot who is losing his medical. Seriously. anyone really think he's only gonna put 420 pounds into it?

The market here is the senior TW pilot who is losing his medical. Seriously. anyone really think he's only gonna put 420 pounds into it?
And anybody who thinks he's going to fall out of the sky if he does?

And does anyone think he's really gonna throttle back to 44% power after 5 minutes?

And does anyone think he's really gonna throttle back to 44% power after 5 minutes?

Back in the '70s the auto companies figured out that they could pass the emission tests (which were done on a chassis dynamometer under specific conditions) and not screw up fuel economy / driveability by triggering emission controls only under a narrow set of conditions that correspond to the actual testing. One company (Chrysler IIRC) even went so far as to use a hood switch to activate emission controls only when the hood was open (testing was run with the hood open).

They met the letter of the law - the cars would meet the standards when in the laboratory.

The EPA was less than pleased and decided to rectify the problem.

We (the auto companies) are still paying for that...

I can only hope these bone-heads don't screw up the LSA thing and make it that much more difficult for everyone else in the future. :mad3:

When most other LSA aircraft are marketed at $100K to $115K, and this one is $165K, are they really competitive? It depends on what you want.

This LSA is marketed with a "single seat" with a two seat option.

By reducing the "max continous HP" to 80HP from 180HP for climb, they can extend the TBO to 2400 hours and avgas consumption to about 5.5gph. That will give them the range they need on the limited quanity they can carry to keep the Max GW down to LSA limits.

Those that "push the power" will have a higher fuel flow rate and not have the advertised range and maybe not the TBO. They also may be flying closer to Vne in level flight.

It is an ECI engine, remember the last round of ADs on ECI cylinders? They have a lot to overcome.

When most other LSA aircraft are marketed at $100K to $115K, and this one is $165K, are they really competitive?

Looks to me like they are creating a specialty product and marketing to rich old guys who can't pass the medical, as Dr. Bruce pointed out. If guys are willing to spend the cash, more power to them. Didn't cubcrafters make their mark doing "high end" cub and super cub restorations?

Maybe its because I'm a big guy, but the Just Aircraft Highlander LSA, with an almost 700lb useful load, is much more appealing to me.

Back