Super Cub wearing tire chains?

TomInOregonCity

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tom In Oregon CIty
I just saw a photo of a super cub with big fat tires, sitting at the side of a grass field, in some broken snow (not much of it), with what looked like brand new tire chains on the wheels -- the kind that only cover the rubber, and don't touch the rims. I've never seen that before, and I've never even read of someone doing that. The fellow that showed me the picture said he took the shot. Spoof, or real? I can't imagine why unpowered wheels would be chained up on any vehicle, let alone a airplane. Comments?

Wouldn't the uneven behavior of the brakes mean the tail wheel would lose it's ability to keep the plane going straight? Like I said, I've never seen that done before. Any video references to see that in action?

I doubt that anyone would actually put chains on, but they do make tundra tires with ice grips.

I doubt that anyone would actually put chains on, but they do make tundra tires with ice grips.
I did see a photo, and the fellow who had it on his phone said he took it personally. Old fart, like me, so I don't think it was a prank. But... thanks for your input, for sure. My guess is that the pilot was just doing something on his own, and hadn't really tested the hypothesis. The fellow who took the picture is not a pilot, and he and another friend of his sort of ganged up on me when I suggested that was a bad idea, because of the softness of the tires, the nose-over tendency if the chains actually gripped quickly when brakes were applied, and the absence of any other photos, or any marketing of chains for aircraft.

But I'm still open to be convinced otherwise, given a bit of proof.

I have been on a few runways where I wished I had tire chains...

Once did a ground loop in a Navajo in Kotzebue while landing, plane swapped ends and I fire walled the throttles to stop.

Another time in Kiana I landed and by the time I got stopped the plane was sitting near the center line (if there had been one) but 90 degrees to the runway.

And in Kivalina the wind was 90 degree cross wind. As soon as I touched down the plane weather vaned 45 degrees into the wind, sliding on the ice. I used throttle and rudder to stay on the runway. Same for take off, 45 degree into the wind and sliding until off the ground.

Ah, the good ol' days....

Village of Kivalina on a rare nice summer day. Runway above the village.

1697557437801.png

(photo from internet)

I have been on a few runways where I wished I had tire chains...

Once did a ground loop in a Navajo in Kotzebue while landing, plane swapped ends and I fire walled the throttles to stop.

Another time in Kiana I landed and by the time I got stopped the plane was sitting near the center line (if there had been one) but 90 degrees to the runway.

And in Kivalina the wind was 90 degree cross wind. As soon as I touched down the plane weather vaned 45 degrees into the wind, sliding on the ice. I used throttle and rudder to stay on the runway. Same for take off, 45 degree into the wind and sliding until off the ground.

Ah, the good ol' days....

Village of Kivalina on a rare nice summer day. Runway above the village.

View attachment 121558

(photo from internet)
Show off! LOL! Not your first weather rodeo, clearly! Nice of the town to dedicate such a wide open space for a runway. Thanks for the stories! But still no tire chains, alas. I can't help thinking the outcome might not have been as good WITH chains....

I just saw a photo of a super cub with big fat tires, sitting at the side of a grass field, in some broken snow (not much of it), with what looked like brand new tire chains on the wheels -- the kind that only cover the rubber, and don't touch the rims. I've never seen that before, and I've never even read of someone doing that. The fellow that showed me the picture said he took the shot. Spoof, or real? I can't imagine why unpowered wheels would be chained up on any vehicle, let alone an airplane. Comments?
I think he was just clowning around with the Cub. Chains on trailer tires are required on some vehicles in some states. Like semi trucks. I think they are called drag chains

I just saw a photo of a super cub with big fat tires, sitting at the side of a grass field, in some broken snow (not much of it), with what looked like brand new tire chains on the wheels -- the kind that only cover the rubber, and don't touch the rims. I've never seen that before, and I've never even read of someone doing that. The fellow that showed me the picture said he took the shot. Spoof, or real? I can't imagine why unpowered wheels would be chained up on any vehicle, let alone a airplane. Comments?
Need some extra grip to stay on the treadmill when there's been a snow fall.

Back