SUO (Rosebud, SD)

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Why does SUO have a 3 letter ID without a corresponding ICAO identifier. It appears to be the only such airport in the United States....

SUO is its IATA code. Looks like S21 is its FAA identifier. It has no ICAO ID listed. That's a new one to me.

Last edited:
SUO is its IATA code. Looks like S21 is its FAA identifier. It has no ICAO ID listed. That's a new one to me.

What's weird is that it looks like as of the most recent FADDS data, some has changed:

ICAO: N/A
IATA: SUO
FAA: SUO

It also appears that this has recently changed as well, as SUO was Sunriver, Oregon, FAA ID: S21

Now, SUO is Rosebud, SD, with SUO as the FAA ID and still no ICAO. Sunriver is now S21 for both the IATA and the FAA ID, with no ICAO (obviously).

I wonder if it has something to do with being on soverign soil or something.

Last edited:

It also appears that this has recently changed as well, as SUO was Sunriver, Oregon, FAA ID: S21

Now, SUO is Rosebud, SD, with SUO as the FAA ID and still no ICAO. Sunriver is now S21 for both the IATA and the FAA ID, with no ICAO (obviously).

Sunriver has been S21 since at least 2008...

Also, I just looked it up on airnav, and unlike any other airport I've looked up there, if you look up SUO it shows up, but KSUO does not. So Nick, I think your last guess may be correct.

Why does SUO have a 3 letter ID without a corresponding ICAO identifier.

Perhaps because nobody requested assignment of an international identifier. I think a better question is why does this airport have a 3-letter identifier?

S21 is Sunriver Airport in Oregon. SUO is the FAA identifier for Rosebud Sioux Tribal Airport in South Dakota.

What's weird is that it looks like as of the most recent FADDS data, some has changed:

ICAO: N/A
IATA: SUO
FAA: SUO

The October 1997 Klamath Falls sectional shows S21 as the identifier for Sunriver Airport.

The August 1996 Omaha sectional shows no airport at the location of the present Rosebud Sioux Tribal Airport. It shows the now abandoned airport northeast of Mission as Mission Sioux Airport, identifier 0V6.

Last edited:
Planning to go there ?

FWIW, SUO is a new airport and recently replaced Mission Sioux (0V6) airport. I'm not sure if it's a timing thing or not.

Last edited:
Back