Sunglasses?

bjohnson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Driver
I currently wear an old pair of Oakley sunglasses when I fly. After 1.5hrs or so of flight they start to become painful. I wear a Bose X headset. The arms on the sunglasses are think and the headset pushes them into my head. The thick arms also cause the headset to not seal as well as I would like. What sunglasses do my fellow pilots wear and where did you buy them?

I've tried them all I think. Give Randolph Engineering a shot. They are designed by pilots for pilots. B)

I had the same problem until I found some lightweight tinted safety glasses with thin templates at http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/ .

Inexpensive but provide the protection I want. I use a pair of grey Elvex RX300 cheaters. Low impact on the flying budget when I need to replace them.

Brent, I had the same problem with my Oakley's. I now use a cheap pair that my eye doctor gave me for nothing after LASIK surgery. I also keep a cheap pair of AO's in my flight bag. Both have flat temple pieces.

David Clark makes eyeglass seals called Stop Gap (scroll down) - foam pads you put around each side.

One pilot shop was selling a line of flying sunglasses that had strings for the earpieces. I thought those were Oakleys.

Ray Ban prescription. I have a fat head and can wear them all day and still be comfortable.

I got a pair of Randolph Engineering Aviator Sunglasses for Christmas and love them!! They fit nicely under my headset.

I've got a pair of AO FG-58s, they're not expensive and work great.

I got a pair of Sheyden's for XMas. The lenses keep popping out of my Oakleys. Of course, it hasn't been sunny enough out yet to need them!

Brent, I like my weather watchers that King sells. Good light weight and never any pain.

Oakley Radar's with Ice Polarized in bright sun; Dark Gray in darker conditions. I've been an Oakley zealot for 5 years and I've yet to find anything else that really compares...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back