• MauiJim

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Revo

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 47 77.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One thing that Scheyden has in their favor is a lifetime warranty on the Frames. Mostly everyone else has only one year. Might be worth the cash for that.

Len Lanetti said:
Re: Transition Lenses

Do they make them in plastic lens yet? If not, for some Rx the glass can be thick and heavy.

I don't know if the "technology" has gotten better but for me the transition lenses were either too dark or not dark enough.
Len

Len,

Yes, the "Transition" brand lenses are plastic and can be indexed to make them very, very light even if one has a strong prescription. The technology has improved and can be used satisfactorily indoors and outdoors. However, they do not respond well behind a windscreen -- too little UV light. Also, they aren't intended to be used in severely bright sun, at the beach or in snow. Add the clip-ons for beach/snow and behind a windscreen.

Last edited:
Gary Sortor said:
Yes, the "Transition" brand lenses are plastic and can be indexed to make them very, very light even if one has a strong prescription. The technology has improved and can be used satisfactorily indoors and outdoors.

Gary,

Thanks for the update....next Rx due after the summer...I'll look into them.

Len

I used to have a pair of Serengeti's. I really liked them until they broke and I got a pair of Rx Oakleys. Minutes with the Iridium Gold lenses. Second pair is the A wire with Rx. I LOVE these things. The iridium lenses cut the glare like no other pair of sunglasses I have ever worn. they are NOT cheap. 200$ for the glasses and 200$+ for the Rx, but I swear by them.

I thought the Serengetis were good until I tried the Oakleys.

Those of you that are IFR rated will understand about when you are climbing though an OVC layer and it starts to get bright then POOF you're in the clear. The sudden glare of sunshine was not an issue, and when you're in that 'bright' IMC, there is no glare, no pain, and lots of sharpness and clarity.

And riding my little Rebel home and its getting towards sunset and the sun is right on top of the mountains and right in my eyes, I can still see.

I forgot to mention Oakleys customer service dept.
My minutes 'fell' off my head onto the concrete floor at Home Depot and the hinge broke. Sent them back, they replaced them for free.

for those of you that may need Rx's, I have beenvery pleased with the job they do. they were able to do the prism for me, however, they cannot do bi focals.

Dee

Back