Sunday arrival at OSH

jkgoblue

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John K.
This will be my third year flying to AirVenture and it's looking like a late afternoon Sunday arrival. I've flown in early Sunday morning during splashkosh which was very quiet and smooth. Last year I arrived Monday after the show but there was a long delay in opening the airport. I had to hold over Rush Lake for a while and once I got cleared, it was a mess turning base to 36L. There was a DC-3 coming in, planes ahead trying to squeeze in and there was no room for me. There was some much chatter on the frequency that I couldn't get a word in to ask for instruction! I maintained around 900 ft announced I was going around made right traffic and joined 36R.

That was a little scary to be honest but I was happy I made the right decision and got down safely. Looking at the different runway approaches I was glad they were landing 36 that day. I'd hate to go around on runway 27 or 9 since they don't want you over the field. (maybe on go arounds they would..)

My question for all you experienced veterans is what kind of congestion can I expect for late Sunday? What it be worse that Monday after the show?

Thanks

Sunday shouldn't be that bad. I've done the weekday get-in-after-the-show thing and it is indeed nuts. We plan to fly in during the weekend. If we really can't make it, I'll turn the flight into a two-day trip before I try that again.

So no, Sunday shouldn't be that bad. Note the qualifier there, since one can never tell what traffic will be around Oshkosh with any certainty. Last couple of years I haven't been anywhere near anyone.

fwiw

from

http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/120426_massarrivals.html

On Sunday, July 22, as many as 75 Piper Cubs are scheduled to arrive together at 6:30 a.m. as a part of the 75th anniversary celebration of the Cub this year[that should take a while]. All told, more than 200 Cubs are expected to attend.

Also Sunday, up to 40 Van's RVs are scheduled to arrive beginning at 1:30 p.m.

Those not flying in the mass arrivals should note that this schedule is subject to change, and may be affected by the weather.

Airventure Cup Racers scheduled to arrive Sunday at 3:00 pm

I'll be arriving sometime after 2:30-3:00PM on Sunday. Hoping to get the runway 27 approach as I've always gotten in the past. The weather is looking to be sunny/partly cloudy with very mild SSW winds on Sunday, very nice VFR flying, in the 10 day forecasts.

Good heads up on the cub arrivals. I've been told that they will be flying as slow as 60 kts too! :yikes: and landing as slow as 30 kts. There's no special low speed arrival proceedure despite EAA knowing about this. :confused: if you get behind a group of them, better be prepared for some really slow flight!

I'm hoping that by late in the day they will have all arrived.

Good heads up on the cub arrivals. I've been told that they will be flying as slow as 60 kts too! :yikes: and landing as slow as 30 kts. There's no special low speed arrival proceedure despite EAA knowing about this. :confused: if you get behind a group of them, better be prepared for some really slow flight!

I'm hoping that by late in the day they will have all arrived.

Got behind a Pawnee my first time there and stalled the aircraft. Be careful.

BTW: If you DO have to go around on RWY 27, it's RIGHT hand traffic. Never, never, NEVER do left hand traffic for Rwy 27.

BTW: If you DO have to go around on RWY 27, it's RIGHT hand traffic. Never, never, NEVER do left hand traffic for Rwy 27.

I was told to go around on final for 27 once due to traffic not clearing the runway in front of me quickly enough, and a fast turbine twin coming straight in from over the lake right behind me after I turned base to final. Just stay over the runway centerline during the go-around and the tower will try to get you turned back into the downwind leg if traffic permits. They got me turned back downwind about midfield.

Well Alon and I would like to get there today but seems like Western PA is socked in with low ceilings. Could get as far as state college but then it turns to junk. I think its just ground fog and mist but don't want to chance it so here we sit .......for now.

The Van's Aircraft arrival is this afternoon, along with a 40 RV ship fly over. It will be busy this afternoon. Be careful, read the NOTAM.

Last edited:
Well Alon and I would like to get there today but seems like Western PA is socked in with low ceilings. Could get as far as state college but then it turns to junk. I think its just ground fog and mist but don't want to chance it so here we sit .......for now.

Heard from Steingar that you decided to come commercial. Don't worry, not all hope is lost. You still might score a ride into OSH. :)

Forgot to post this... My arrival Sunday from outside Ripon to 27 in a Lancair 360. Apologies for the length...it was all I could do to upload from an iPad.

Original plan was flying into FLD, but OSH lured us in so we changed plans. We had reviewed the NOTAM already, but did a more thorough review once we decided we were landing there.

Our arrival Saturday evening around 6PM was a cake-walk. We were all by ourselves all the way from Fisk inbound. Landed 27.

There was another 182 behind us at Ripon, he decided he was too close behind us (we assume) and peeled off northbound. He was easily back there far enough in trail that he could have just flown the 90 knot speed and landed behind us.

I got there earlier than I expected on Sunday. Left Wichita Falls at 7:00am and landed on runway 27 about 12:15pm. There was a little bit of traffic on the Fisk arrival when I got there, but it was pretty sparse still, and had no issues at all. I'm back home now, and got out of Osh today well before the big storm hit.

I got there earlier than I expected on Sunday. Left Wichita Falls at 7:00am and landed on runway 27 about 12:15pm. There was a little bit of traffic on the Fisk arrival when I got there, but it was pretty sparse still, and had no issues at all. I'm back home now, and got out of Osh today well before the big storm hit.

It was good meeting you at the HOPS party. And congrats!

Forgot to post this... My arrival Sunday from outside Ripon to 27 in a Lancair 360. Apologies for the length...it was all I could do to upload from an iPad.

Original plan was flying into FLD, but OSH lured us in so we changed plans. We had reviewed the NOTAM already, but did a more thorough review once we decided we were landing there.

Nice video. What's up with the turn coordinator?!? Sometimes it seems stable, other times it was bouncing all over the place even though the plane seemed level. Partial panel would be tough with it doing that.

Nice video. What's up with the turn coordinator?!? Sometimes it seems stable, other times it was bouncing all over the place even though the plane seemed level. Partial panel would be tough with it doing that.

Looks like a bearing going bad. It'll fail soon.

Glad you made it out of Urbana. All those Cubs together made quite a sight.

My initial arrival was IFR (RNAV (GPS) 9) but I flew the Fisk arrival about four times more during the show and came in on the Warbird arrival once.

I watched the last few minutes of your video and I was on the edge of my seat. How exciting and what a helpful co-pilot you had. Great CRM.

Our arrival Saturday evening around 6PM was a cake-walk. We were all by ourselves all the way from Fisk inbound. Landed 27.

My first arrival of the year on Friday night before the show was kind of weird. It seems the traffic load was light enough that the Fisk controllers weren't there, and one woman was working both OSH tower frequencies and Fisk Approach, and just asking about any aircraft inbound from Ripon to Fisk every couple of minutes.

Well, as I approached Ripon in the Mooney, I waited until the planes in front of me had called in and then I called in, and she asked if I could make it to the airport in 10 minutes. "I can do better than that," I replied. So, she gave me back "Proceed direct to the airport, cleared to land 36L." In doing so, I passed a pair of Cessnas and a Cherokee, and it turned out later that one of the Cessnas was Mike "flyer" from PoA, and the Cherokee was a buddy of his!

It sure was weird being all ready for the Fisk arrival and then getting a pass on it...

My first arrival of the year on Friday night before the show was kind of weird. It seems the traffic load was light enough that the Fisk controllers weren't there, and one woman was working both OSH tower frequencies and Fisk Approach, and just asking about any aircraft inbound from Ripon to Fisk every couple of minutes.

Well, as I approached Ripon in the Mooney, I waited until the planes in front of me had called in and then I called in, and she asked if I could make it to the airport in 10 minutes. "I can do better than that," I replied. So, she gave me back "Proceed direct to the airport, cleared to land 36L." In doing so, I passed a pair of Cessnas and a Cherokee, and it turned out later that one of the Cessnas was Mike "flyer" from PoA, and the Cherokee was a buddy of his!

It sure was weird being all ready for the Fisk arrival and then getting a pass on it...

Friday evening was a easy approach. I pretty much flew the entire arrival per the notam and didnt hear a thing when i passed fisk, so I flew towards runway 9 for easy access to the N40, plus the wind was favoring 9. I finally made contact with the lady in the tower and was cleared for runway 9 and landed 10 mins till 8pm closing time.

Kent, I still beat you to the N40 by one plane :D

Back