Sun N Fun Camping

flykelley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
flykelley
Hi Gang
Well myself and a couple of other pilots from Michigan want to fly to down to Sun N Fun and camp onsite. We do the Oshkosh camping but never camping at Sun N Fun. A couple of questions for those that have camped at Sun N Fun.

1- Is the camp store well stocked or is a grocery store close by like Oshkosh?

2- Does the camp ground have any shade and electricty?

3-Is there a shuttle bus from the camp grounds to area stores?

Im sure that I will have more questions later, thanks for your replys.

Regards Mike

Hi Gang
Well myself and a couple of other pilots from Michigan want to fly to down to Sun N Fun and camp onsite. We do the Oshkosh camping but never camping at Sun N Fun. A couple of questions for those that have camped at Sun N Fun.

Regards Mike

You might want to start at sun-n-fun.org - some of these questions are answered there along with things like what kind of sign you should have in the window of your aircraft when you arrive http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn/Lodging/onsiteCamping/aircraftCampers.aspx

There is no electricity per the web site.

Hi Gang

I flew to SNF with a few friends last year. We were going to camp, but it rained substantially in the days prior to the show. We ended up getting a hotel. We ended up parking the plane (and would have been camping) to the West of the approach end of Rwy 9. It was pretty soggy, required about 2300RPM just to taxi.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lal&o...238,-82.036178&spn=0.007295,0.009516&t=h&z=17

If this is where you end up camping... There are no facilities, but is only a 5 minute walk to get to water or porta-potty. Here is a link to a map that shows campgrounds and facilities for LAL/SNF. http://www.sun-n-fun.org/_pdf/maps/08campgroundmap.pdf

-Nathan

I should also mention that if you will end up needing a wx or fuel diversion in Southern Georgia, to land at BHC, Baxley.

We landed there (unplanned) because of TStorms and were treated to wonderful hospitality as well as hamburgers, hotdogs, sides, and desserts. The FBO manager (I believe her name is Lil) has been doing this during SNF for years.

Hi Gang

Regards Mike

Several of the camp stores were closed last year. The one near the food court was open and had the usual stuff - beer, peanut butter, bread, soft drinks, bug spray, etc.

The campground does have shade. Electricity is available at the shower facilities, but otherwise, bring batteries, or a generator (and camp in one of the generator permitted areas.)

I'm not aware of a shuttle service off-site, but I've never looked for one either. And there aren't any stores within walking distance.

What are you flying?
Depending on what you fly may have a significant impact on where you camp on the field. For example, Vintage aircraft park right next to the entrance to the the activities on the east side of the field. GA aircraft parking and camping is at the west end of the field.

What are you flying?
Depending on what you fly may have a significant impact on where you camp on the field. For example, Vintage aircraft park right next to the entrance to the the activities on the east side of the field. GA aircraft parking and camping is at the west end of the field.
Hi John
I will be flying a mid 80s piper archer. We have also resevered a Rv that will be dropped off at the campground.

Regards Mike

Hi John
I will be flying a mid 80s piper archer. We have also resevered a Rv that will be dropped off at the campground.
Regards Mike

I haven't been to SNF for about eight years.
Not much changes though.
The grocery shopping and eating is a couple miles to the east.
Everything around the airport is industrial.
The camp store has basics. The food court is really your source for meals if you do not have ground transportation.
If you want shade, you can park your airplane in the transient area and camp under the trees in the campgrounds.
Beware of the fire ants! The ground is sandy, so choose your area to pitch your tent wisely.

Back