Sun and Fun Weather

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
Looks like the weather is going to hold up pretty nicely this year for SnF. I hope the turnout is good this year!

Yeah, needed some serious planning and timing mojo to get through that line of weather today.
I waited it out in Williston, FL. Someone was in a hurry and wanted to get through with unfortunate results :( Rumors say inflight breakup. Sad.

https://www.wuft.org/news/2017/04/04/one-dead-in-tuesday-morning-plane-crash-in-williston/
It was a Virus, going north from Sebring to S.C., he should have been nowhere near that stuff in that bird. We got bounced around pretty good for short time, but made it through the gap near hevvn that atc was routing everyone through this morning.

We got bounced around pretty good for short time, but made it through the gap near hevvn that atc was routing everyone through this morning.

For a few hours in the afternoon that line of TS was solid with no way around it. It never (still hasn't) really opened up, but there was a gap of "only" light to mod precip, with strong but smooth winds. There were three planes that made it through (that were talking to Jax) around 6PM but then it closed again.
Beer required, now.

I left Atlanta yesterday before the storms hit, so I really wasn't paying attention to the weather today until several of us working the show remarked how attendance seemed light. I then started watching the arrivals and realized how slow it was. I finally looked at the radar and saw that nobody from the north was going to have any luck getting here today.

Well that was fun! And I got a lot of sun too!

I was the second plane to take off after they opened the runway, missed being the first by a few seconds. Darn :)

How is the weather up north now? Is the weekend going to be nice to fly?

There is a big thunderstorm coming through...sorry for all of the campers out there!! It should last maybe about 1 hour

Wednesday was HOT - somewhere in the 90s but much hotter out on the pavement. Today (Thurs) I predict will be cooler initially but once all that moisture from the morning Tstorm starts to cook off it will be unbearably humid. But hey - you won't need any snow chains so there's that.

Wednesday was HOT - somewhere in the 90s but much hotter out on the pavement. Today (Thurs) I predict will be cooler initially but once all that moisture from the morning Tstorm starts to cook off it will be unbearably humid. But hey - you won't need any snow chains so there's that.

Cool and dry for the rest of the week after the Cold Front passes.

Cheers

For a few hours in the afternoon that line of TS was solid with no way around it. It never (still hasn't) really opened up, but there was a gap of "only" light to mod precip, with strong but smooth winds. There were three planes that made it through (that were talking to Jax) around 6PM but then it closed again.
Beer required, now.

We made it through about 1:30, ATC did a great job helping about five of us through from GNV when a break opened up for about 40 minutes.

A delightful flying day today here in Florida

It blocked us out. I was leading a group of four aircraft with my Smith Mini Plane as lead, HA! No way to get enough weather window to even launch from NW Illinois. We flight planed at three 150 mile legs a day with landing at Lakeland the morning of the third day. Had to give it up late Tues. With a small biplane, cramped as hell, 16 gallons of fuel and nothing for aircraft attitude, it was strictly VFR or nothing.

Back