suggestions on a few places for XCs

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hi all

I'm doing a dual XC soon and likely many more to follow.

For anyone local to VA/MD - any recommendations of places to go? Hopefully with a restaurant then back home again.

Has anyone here been to CHO - thoughts?

Beth

Lancaster PA has a good restaurant convenient to the ramp, and lots of good visual checkpoints along the way as well.
Georgetown Delaware offers good food.
Williamsburg, VA (JGG) is very good as well and a good medium challenging airstrip.
Tangier Island is also a fun trip.

Once you get your private, celebrate with someone special at Nicks in Hagerstown - fine dining at the airport. You'll need too much time and spend too much $$ for me to recommend it for a X/C training flight.

I'm with Tim on JGG (Williamsburg). But it is a lot more fun when you can sit outside to eat. Today would have been perfect. :D
Kaye

Well Elizabeth, if you go to LNS let me know i'll fly down to meet you. just let me know what day and time,in fact let me know where you go if not LNS maybe i'll fly there.
Dave G

Williamsburg is nice. If you're thinking CHO, you might also consider SHD - I think there's a restaurant there. If you're with instructor, you might head over to W99 and get a little experience flying in/around the mountians, as I recall the folks there were pretty nice, but I don't recall a restaurant on the field.

Yes, there's a very nice little restaurant at SHD. Other good lunch stops include Cambridge MD (CGE), Frederick MD (FDK -- watch yourself, as the pattern can be a real zoo), and Georgetown DE (GED). If you don't mind the ADIZ, Gaithersburg MD (GAI) also has a very nice restaurant.

Well other than Richmond that only other place I have been in your area is KSHD. That was a nice strip in a very picturesque area with nice facilities on the field. Fuel was $$$$ but everything else was nice.

thanks all!

Ron, I'm inside the ADIZ - with few exceptions my flying has started/ended inside the ADIZ.

GAI is a good suggestion too - I've been there, but only to drive (and fly from as a pax)

GED - good crab cakes.

You have to get out of that ADIZ. I know what living near the Beltway does to you, and the ADIZ is like an aerial Beltway.

If you want to extend a bit, try Millville, KMIV, 2 restaurants, tho I've only been to one, plenty of concrete to practice your landings. Not quite the same without Millville Radio providing advisories, but you'd have a nice trip across the DE Bay.

CXY Harrisburg is a fun airport to fly to as well, and it takes you through some pretty scenery.
I don't know what there is to do on the field since I've never actually stopped there, but it is really close to downtown Harrisburg.

woodstock said:
thanks all!

Ron, I'm inside the ADIZ - with few exceptions my flying has started/ended inside the ADIZ.

GAI is a good suggestion too - I've been there, but only to drive (and fly from as a pax)

Check your distances. GAI may not be far enough to qualify for the required XC experience.

Some very nice restaurants (not airport diners) KTSO Carroll Co, OH The Bluebird (down the short trail through the woods, check hours), KBTP Butler Co, PA, The Runway Restaurant, and KFKL Venango Co, Franklin PA Italian Dining.

All are very good

GG

woodstock said:
I'll check into SHD too.

I make the SHD run frequently, not to eat at the restaurant, but I love flying down the valley.

York, PA (THV) has a nice little restaurant on the field, and a small pilot shop as well. Nontowered.

Come to IPT! It's a bit far but you need to do a long xc too! The resturaunt on feild is ok, the view is a lot better then the food. It's on the second floor of the terminal building and the view is the airport, river, then mountian behind. However if you give me a call, I'll pick you up and we can go someplace with better food but not such a great view.

Missa

Missa - thanks - I'll do that. (not sure when, but I'll do it!)

Kaye, that sounds pretty too. I'll take a look at both. CHO has a tower and I have very little tower experience which is why I figured that would be a good one. (I don't know if SHD has one...)

woodstock said:

Kaye, that sounds pretty too. I'll take a look at both. CHO has a tower and I have very little tower experience which is why I figured that would be a good one. (I don't know if SHD has one...)

KSHD does not have a tower but it does have airline service.

woodstock said:

IPT has a tower. A VERY underutlised tower from what I am use to so it's a good tower to learn with. Comming from PTK (2nd busiest airport in MI after DTW) it was comparitvely easy to talk with them. The only thing to watch out for is when US Air is comming in behind you... they don't like going around and it's the only time I've felt rushed to get off the runway.

Missa

Plus IPT has that great ridgeline looming over it. Very scenic, but don't foul up your approach in IMC!!!!!!

Pretty country up there, too.

If you're thinking about 'dromes with FSS and food, check out Altoona. They have a nice restaurant overlooking the field, FSS is also next door, as it is at IPT. Maybe you could arrange a visit. Grab a car and go visit the scenic Horseshoe Curve on the Pennsy (it's a railroad curve, train folks go nuts there. YMMV.)

flyersfan31 said:
Plus IPT has that great ridgeline looming over it. Very scenic, but don't foul up your approach in IMC!!!!!!

Pretty country up there, too.

If you're thinking about 'dromes with FSS and food, check out Altoona. They have a nice restaurant overlooking the field, FSS is also next door, as it is at IPT. Maybe you could arrange a visit. Grab a car and go visit the scenic Horseshoe Curve on the Pennsy (it's a railroad curve, train folks go nuts there. YMMV.)

Hey now! The real reason for IPT is the company... Altoona dosen't have me! :D

W29, Bay Bridge is within walking distance to Hemingways with a nice view of the Chesapeake Bay and a shorter walk to the "gourmet" Citgo. Yes a gas station with a gourmet restaurant/upscale food and wine store attached. I don't think its 50 NM from you though, but still a neat place to stop.

Last edited:
1) yes, with enough notice and if I have no other pressing plans I'll do lunch with any PoAer (but I'm not cancling a vacation or somthing just 'cause you may be thinking of comming)

2) Groups are always welcome and with enough notice, on a work day. I can probally arrange for a plant tour too.

3) I don't own a motorcycle yet, but ya'all can come over and hang the drywall in my kitchen! :yes:

Missa :goofy:

Last edited:
Missa said:
1) yes, with enough notice and if I have no other pressing plans (I'm not cancling vacation just 'cause you may be thinking of comming)

2) Groups are always welcome and with enough notice, on a work day. I can probally arrange for a plant tour.

3) I don't own a motorcycle yet, but ya'all can come over and hang the drywall in my kitchen! :yes:

You don't want ME to hang drywall of do any home improvement project. I am good at touring Lyc. plants. I actually own one of your products, so I am uniquely qualified for a tour. :)

The long runway at IPT is 6474'. That's going to be a long drive from Pittsburg, Anthony.

N2212R said:
The long runway at IPT is 6474'. That's going to be a long drive from Pittsburg, Anthony.

Nah, MDT was a former Buff base and its got 10K ft of runway which just may work this time of year. Shorter drive than Pittsburgh. Gotta check density altitude that day and make the go/no go call. :goofy:

Back