Suggestions for November in New England (VT)

Rigged4Flight

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Rigged4Flight
Suggestions for October in New England (VT)

I'm going to be taking October off, and assuming I can make a serious dent in a heavy list of honey do's, winter preparation and stuff (stack the wood, top off the hay loft, repair the barn, etc) I'm planning on taking some intro flights at a few training centers around VT and NH.

Does anyone have any aviation-related suggestions/ideas/warnings? I'm not planning on taking any serious training, as I will be leaving for another year at the end of October. I'm really looking to just scratch the itch for a bit, and make as many contacts in the area as I can so that when I am able to train for real I can make some educated decisions and hit the ground running.

But it doesn't have to all be work. Any great destinations in the area for small planes would be awesome, assuming I can pay an instructor for his time/plane at the same time and make it worthwhile as an intro flight to boot.

Not sure how much of this my wife will be able to participate in. We maxed out her vacation time with my mid-tour leave, so any time off she takes will be on our dime.

edit: October.. not November. [I should not post when tired]

Last edited:
I am getting my PPL out of KLEB. This is the airport in Lebanon NH.

Not sure how interesting it is there compared to anywhere else, but my instructor Dan is great. They have a Cessna 150 or 172 to train with.

We are kind of in the middle of nowhere, so not a lot of choice, but they seem to be fine. Here s the link to there site:

http://www.flylean.com/index.htm

I called down to Parlin field in Newport New Hampshire, and the person I talked with was very nice. He said they don't have a school, but they do have 5 or 6 instructors that fly out of there. Might be able to make a connection.

Sorry, in the world of GA, that's about all I know. Just getting into it myself.

Thanks for the suggestion! Seems like no matter what direction I look, flight training is always about an hour away.

I'll make sure to check out KLEB while I'm home.

I am getting my PPL out of KLEB. This is the airport in Lebanon NH.

Not sure how interesting it is there compared to anywhere else, but my instructor Dan is great. They have a Cessna 150 or 172 to train with.

We are kind of in the middle of nowhere, so not a lot of choice, but they seem to be fine. Here s the link to there site:

http://www.flylean.com/index.htm

I called down to Parlin field in Newport New Hampshire, and the person I talked with was very nice. He said they don't have a school, but they do have 5 or 6 instructors that fly out of there. Might be able to make a connection.

Sorry, in the world of GA, that's about all I know. Just getting into it myself.

I have 4.8 hours in Skydive New England's Twin Otter you probably see flying around Lebanon.

Re: Suggestions for October in New England (VT)

:idea: Go to Key West :yesnod:
Haha! We just spent way too much money on a vacation to Italy and Greece this year. We both want nothing more than time together at home now. :yesnod:

Well ... except for little side trips for the airplane stuff. A guy has to have a hobby, right? :redface:

The Vermont flight academy in Burlington VT (BTV). They have a J3 cub (lot of fun), some 150's, 152's, 172's, a glass DA40 and a citabria with aerobatic training. You could also go into basin harbor for lunch, they have a 3000 ft grass runway with a nice restaurant. If you wanted to fly a little farther you could go to glens falls ny which also has an airport restaurant or over to the Adirondacks or Mt. Washington. In the summer they also do seaplane training on lake Champlain with the j3 cub and pa12.

Waitsfield-Warren is a great field, near Stowe. Montpelier is also nice, used to have a good restaurant. Burlington is good, but not overwhelmed with services. Basin harbor is a beautiful grass strip with some great restaurants at the resort.

The Vermont flight academy in Burlington VT (BTV). They have a J3 cub (lot of fun), some 150's, 152's, 172's, a glass DA40 and a citabria with aerobatic training. You could also go into basin harbor for lunch, they have a 3000 ft grass runway with a nice restaurant. If you wanted to fly a little farther you could go to glens falls ny which also has an airport restaurant or over to the Adirondacks or Mt. Washington. In the summer they also do seaplane training on lake Champlain with the j3 cub and pa12.
I've corresponded with VFA a couple of times, and they are definitely on my list to visit. I would love to go up in a Cub! And back country strips would be awesome to visit. Burlington is just so stinkin' far away from the house, it's pretty much a full day to get there and back. But they are on the list. :yesnod:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Waitsfield-Warren is a great field, near Stowe. Montpelier is also nice, used to have a good restaurant. Burlington is good, but not overwhelmed with services. Basin harbor is a beautiful grass strip with some great restaurants at the resort.
I have a pilot friend at Stowe. I'll have to see if he's back from his own world travels when I'm in the area.

Basin Harbor is beginning to move to the top of my list. :)

Any pilots in the New England area flying soon? I'm looking for a lift from Mass. to Maine, VT, or NH as part of my project to hitchhike on planes to all 50 States. (Visit JetHiking.com for more info).

Back