Sub lost contact over Titanic

Which is why we need a loser pay legal system.
I'd think that way, except...

Plenty of times people want to sue for perfectly legitimate reasons, but can't afford to pay their attorney's hourly rate. So the lawyer takes the case on contingency; you win, they get a cut. I'm pretty sure that would come to a screeching halt, meaning if you don't have the cash to finance the whole suit -- well, sucks to be you. Conversely, if you're flagrantyly screwing poor people, well, just keep right on doing it. They can't do anything about it.

I think what we really need is a system that doesn't criminalize a richly deserved punch in the nose. There are problems with that as well, though.

I'd think that way, except...

Plenty of times people want to sue for perfectly legitimate reasons, but can't afford to pay their attorney's hourly rate. So the lawyer takes the case on contingency; you win, they get a cut. I'm pretty sure that would come to a screeching halt, meaning if you don't have the cash to finance the whole suit -- well, sucks to be you. Conversely, if you're flagrantyly screwing poor people, well, just keep right on doing it. They can't do anything about it.

I think what we really need is a system that doesn't criminalize a richly deserved punch in the nose. There are problems with that as well, though.

True, and I didn't say it was a perfect system. But the person that sticks a screwdriver in their eye should not be able to make themselves and their family independently wealthy at the manufactures expense, but instead should learn to be more careful.

Maybe the root cause is that awards like that are decided by people not able to get out of the jury selection system.

But joking aside, making lawsuits not possible because we think juries are incompetent isn't a great plan. Or, in other words, a democratic society is far from perfect, but way better than the alternative - society entirely run by corporations. Sometimes it might only be barely better, but it's still better.

Back