Stymied stu/colleague

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by bbchien, Oct 30, 2013.

1. bbchien

bbchien Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    I have a former colleague (a neurologist) who is stymied at the local flight school. He is at 30 hours and has not soloed. Looking at his logbook, 30 hours over a year. Not much progress. Doesn't fly enough.

He's in solo medical practice and can't get away but for weekends, but the weather has been sucky and the local flight school is competitive to get in on a weekend.

I think the right thing for this fellow is to close the office for a week and go away, e.g "Get out of Dodge". It has to be to AZ or FL- someplace where EVERY day the winter weather is clear and a million. I know he can do a week away because he has managed it twice in the past five years. But just twice!

Any one have experience with say, Classic Air, in Phoenix, or Arizona Flight or have a suggestion? We are NOT looking for PVT ASEL in a week. We are looking to make or break "solo". He either can, or he cannot. I am unable to close for a week also....because on that basis he can't afford me, and the problem is he HAS TO GET OUT OF DODGE!

2. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    I would recommend Fla, weather this time of year is great and there are a ton of flight schools. I would check a few out over the phone first.

3. Kiddo's Driver

Kiddo's Driver Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    The other question is where is he? Does he have an extra room? Get a CFI to take a plane to him for a week.

I need to get my CFI. I have the perfect training aircraft. I have a job that allows me to work from anywhere there is a high speed internet connection and schedule flexibility.

Surely there are CFIs out there that can do this. The hard part is finding one that is finding one you trust. (I've seen too many posts about CFIs getting paid up front and then never being heard from again.)

Jim

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. Sac Arrow

Sac Arrow Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bro do you even lift
    I guess the bigger question is should this guy be flying after he gets his ticket, as little as he is able to fly?

5. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    30 hours per year is more than a lot of pilots get.

6. Everskyward

Everskyward Experimenter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everskyward
    I'm pretty sure one of the problems is that where he lives, the weather is not that great in the winter.

7. tlglenn

tlglenn Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ted
    If he wants to come to Tucson I would suggest http://kellysaviation.com/

Kelly was my instructor for my instrument and commercial ratings. She's a former high school teacher who found her calling as a CFI.

8. Kiddo's Driver

Kiddo's Driver Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    Possibly, but it is really the "If I'm going to take a week off to fly, then the weather HAS to be good!"

The other issue he is having is that he cannot get an Instructor & Plane on the weekend. There appears to be too much competition. Surely there is a way to work around these issues. If the doc has a room or two to spare, then you have the possibility of an instructor & a student doing a long cross country up there and staying for the weekend. The instructor can work with the doc all day and squeeze in the other student if the chance comes up. The plane gets more than the FBO's minimum required hours. Doc gets his instruction/solo. A student gets his long cross country and a weekend in fabulous XXXXX.

Jim

9. Brad Z

Brad Z Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad Z
    Is it possible for him to carve out two mornings a week, schedule-wise? I know there's a risk of weather busting the time, but if he could shift his practice's hours to start at 10am two days a week and stay open later, he could get the lessons in then. Of course he might have an issue with staff flexibility.

Otherwise, there are plenty of options in FL. I imagine he could even work with a PIC instructor like CFI Levy who specializes in accelerated instruction and develop some goals. You just need to find somewhere that has an agreement with them to use their planes.

10. Sac Arrow

Sac Arrow Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bro do you even lift
    Yeah but I'm just thinking that 30 hours in a year of training will likely translate to 10 hours a year thereafter.

11. bbchien

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    Thank you for that SPECIFIC recommendation :) :) :) :mad2:

12. Z06_Mir

Z06_Mir Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Radna
    Send you a PM with a link :)

13. bbchien

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    Thank you, Z06_Mir :)

14. Henning

Henning Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning
    Sent you a PM, have just the guy for him, could potentially finish him up in a week, he's pretty good. Low (relatively for these days) cost 172s as well with plenty of availability of both instructor and planes.

15. bbchien

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bruce C
    ...and thx, Henning.

16. Henning

Henning Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning
    No worries, Ira's really good.

17. asgcpa

asgcpa En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    CPA
    Tail wheels in winter haven. They seen pretty nice and have a good rep.

18. asgcpa

asgcpa En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    CPA
    Or have Jason Unger's crew finish him up here. Did it with a few students. Just the weather sucks here as you know. They will combine flight with Redbird FMX training.

19. asgcpa

asgcpa En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    CPA
    Bruce, my sister is a doctor. She is considering tail wheels as they will customize a program over several weekends.

20. SkyHog

SkyHog Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everything Offends Me
    I recommended a CFI in Albuquerque for Scott Keyes. Scott came out and spend a few weeks just flying every day and finished up. I would imagine the same CFI could do it for him to get him to solo in a week. ABQ is usually fantastic this time of year, and will not have IMC unless something crazy happens.

Let me know of Tucson is decided against, and I'll send you the referral/flight school. They're good people, and he would learn to fly at a fairly busy Class C with plenty of non-busy airspace around as well, with the addition of learning a lot of procedures related to restricted airspace and military routes...in other words, a little bit of everything.