Stupid WalGreens!!!

astanley said:
I think you are only the 3rd or 4th person to notice the buddy icon. When I get a house (read: after I move out of the Boston area), I'll eventually set up my own home photo studio. For now, the pros get it.

11 rolls? Yeah, I would probably be serving 11 concurrent life terms in Cali...

I have had countless negs damaged by dirty processing lines. Dip and dunk is the only way!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Andrew,

I have a roll of 35mm color film that is damaged and wont go through an
automatic processing machine. Do you know anywhere I can send it to
have it done manually.

greg

astanley said:
I think you are only the 3rd or 4th person to notice the buddy icon. When I get a house (read: after I move out of the Boston area), I'll eventually set up my own home photo studio. For now, the pros get it.
What buddy icon? I only saw the poor guy pushing the rock...

11 rolls? Yeah, I would probably be serving 11 concurrent life terms in Cali...

I have had countless negs damaged by dirty processing lines. Dip and dunk is the only way!

Cheers,

-Andrew

It was a shop with the full dark room. I took it that is what you mean by dip n dunk. All I know anymore is I don't know.

river_rat said:
Andrew,

I have a roll of 35mm color film that is damaged and wont go through an
automatic processing machine. Do you know anywhere I can send it to
have it done manually.

greg

Sure, there are many places. I imagine send-away is OK?

Calypso has good industry reviews, http://www.calypsoinc.com/

New Lab is one of the best is SF, check them out: http://www.newlab.com/

Boston Photo Imaging (one of the best and cleanest E6 lines in the US) is where I take most of my bulk work. I don't know if they do mail, but it may be worth the call: http://www.bostonphoto.com/

Personally, I'd suggest New Lab first and Boston Photo second; Boston Photo is where all the local pros take their work.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Richard said:
What buddy icon? I only saw the poor guy pushing the rock...

It was a shop with the full dark room. I took it that is what you mean by dip n dunk. All I know anymore is I don't know.

Yeah, I meant my "avatar", the picture of Sysphus...

Dip and dunk, for film, is different from "manual printing" that you are thinking of (where you move the papers through the different chemicals manually).

Dip and dunk uses a large, light proof tank. A technician opens up your roll of film and attaches it to a large hangar that stretches the film out. The hangar is then "dipped" and "dunked" into each tank (developer, fixer, etc) down the line. The only mechanical contact with your film is at the ends, rather than in a roller machine (those atrocities you see at your local pharmacy) which is constantly in contact with your film. If not kept perfectly clean, scratches, inclusions, and tears can result due to the tension on the film strip.

Dip and dunk also allows for extremely precise control of the developer chemistry, rather than roll machines which are just charged up and recycled on a # of images basis.

Generally speaking, places that use dip and dunk are far more professional and dedicated to good quality. Many will use in-house distillers for their water; they run frequent samples of the chemistry, and many are certified by Kodak's Q-Lab or Fuji's (forget the name of it) lab certifcation program.

All of my film is dipped and dunked, period.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
All of my film is dipped and dunked, period.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back in HS, your yearbook had its own B&W darkroom, and I used to spend nearly every 10th period in there developing film and prints. Nothing like being in total darkness, opening the film, smoothly rolling it onto the wire reels, getting it into the tank, and then lights back on.

The good old days.

Bill Jennings said:
Back in HS, your yearbook had its own B&W darkroom, and I used to spend nearly every 10th period in there developing film and prints. Nothing like being in total darkness, opening the film, smoothly rolling it onto the wire reels, getting it into the tank, and then lights back on.

The good old days.

Yup! I spent my entire freshman and sophmore years in the darkroom, in fact, it's the only class (besides Latin and History) that I consistently passed with high marks.

I miss the smell of fixer and stop bath on my hands after a long period of printing...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Bill Jennings said:

The good old days.
Yeah, I have fond memories of those darkroom days, too. And not just for getting the film/prints done. :p

Ken Ibold said:
Yeah, I have fond memories of those darkroom days, too. And not just for getting the film/prints done. :p

We had a couch in our darkroom, which is where some of us hid ashtrays... others, well, you know where this goes.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
We had a couch in our darkroom, which is where some of us hid ashtrays... others, well, you know where this goes.
Hence the old line, "let's go into the darkroom and see what develops."

Ken Ibold said:
Hence the old line, "let's go into the darkroom and see what develops."

Like I said, the good old days ;)

Back