Stupid OSH Question....

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
Got me a dumb question. I am going to do my first triathlon this weekend in Door County (north east of Green Bay), and was planning to fly up. As it happens the route of flight from Madison pretty much takes me directly over KOSH. So I decided to look at the NOTAM, and there is absolutely no mention of transitioning over the airport.

Any suggestions? I'd probably fly over OSH at least 5500 which should take me over most of the arrival traffic.

Pete

This weekend you should be fine, but I'd stay at 7500 until I was past Appleton. Oshkosh is only a class D airport.

Are you flying back Sunday or Monday?

Monday, the airshow are goes from the surface to 12,000' MSL 1430-1830 CDT within a 5 NM radius of the airport.

Otherwise, starting Friday, I wouldn't go anywhere near OSH unless I was over 8,000' (but above 10,000' would probably be better).

As Ken says, it's a zoo. Going around is a good idea.

Best of luck in the marathon. Be sure to post back here how it goes.

Not a marathon I am not that crazy....this is merely a 1500m swim 40k bike and a 10k run....I'll probably go around or go real high (7.5 or 9.5) if I go up over OSH, and I plan to come back on sun so I won't have to worry about the airshow.

I was just figuring being over the airport would be the least traffic as most folks would be down low to land....

Pete

Congrats on doing the triathlon! My wife had her first taste of it earlier this summer and then competed in a half-triathlon again last weekend. She is apparently hooked. Once I'm finished with this 16 hr/day job, the goal is for me to get back into good enough shape to compete in a few triathlons myself.

As far as OSH, if you can get through the area EARLY AM or late PM, you have a better chance of making a smooth transition. If you're in the middle of the day, I would go as high as practical for you/your plane. Sure 99.9% of the planes in the area are simply landing/departing OSH, but there will be a few bouncing around up higher to get an aerial view of the events.

I was just figuring being over the airport would be the least traffic as most folks would be down low to land....
Pete[/quote]

You are absolutly right if that the route you choose. When I'm on F.F. on cross country trips I tipically stay high and can't remember the last time I was not give a celarance through class B airports.

Pete

You are absolutly right if that the route you choose. When I'm on F.F. on cross country trips I tipically stay high and can't remember the last time I was not give a celarance through class B airports.
Well, I wouldn't count on flight following anywhere near OSH next week, and, as far as Class B clearance at ORD, the nearest class B, don't make Bruce have to come out and have a talk with you! LOL!

Well, I wouldn't count on flight following anywhere near OSH next week, and, as far as Class B clearance at ORD, the nearest class B, don't make Bruce have to come out and have a talk with you! LOL!

Heck I don't think ORD would let me in on an IFR plan, but I did figure out how to get them to talk to you on FF. Remain outside of their airsapce, but through one of their approach corridors. Trust me they DO want to be in communication with you. BTDT. :D

:blueplane:

Heck I don't think ORD would let me in on an IFR plan, but I did figure out how to get them to talk to you on FF. Remain outside of their airsapce, but through one of their approach corridors. Trust me they DO want to be in communication with you. BTDT. :D

:blueplane:
Or do what EdFred did one evening. Leave Rockford and tell them you're going right over the top at 11,500.

I've managed to go through O'Hare's airspace twice while VFR, both times around midnight, coming from the east.

And even when I'm IFR you're right, they usually skirt me around the edge, maybe bumping up against it once or twice.

Or do what EdFred did one evening. Leave Rockford and tell them you're going right over the top at 11,500.

I've managed to go through O'Hare's airspace twice while VFR, both times around midnight, coming from the east.

And even when I'm IFR you're right, they usually skirt me around the edge, maybe bumping up against it once or twice.

Bruce and I flew IFR one night at around 8 PM and they vectored us right over O'Hare at 4000 feet. I pointed that out to Bruce and he asked for verification, "That is towards O'Hare?" Good ol' C90 said, "Yeah. What about it?" :dunno:

Last edited:
The Tri is done, and I didn't drown :)

I did end up going right over OSH on the way up at 7500 and 8500 on the way back. Looks like the good weather is filling up the parking in a hurry.

The first to pics were taken Saturday at about 1:00pm and the other two were taken around 3:00 pm on Sunday. Amazing what difference 26 hours can make.

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_0291_small.JPG
    IMG_0291_small.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0292_small.JPG
    IMG_0292_small.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0297_small.JPG
    IMG_0297_small.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0298_small.JPG
    IMG_0298_small.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Was having troubles with the attachment function....

Should be there now...

Pete

Great pictures! Thank you! We wanted to go to Oshkosh, but the $money$ held us back. It is a long haul from Georgia. We had a great time at Sun-n-Fun.

Back