Student SP Seeking Instructor

1600vw

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
H.A.S.
Central IL. Student Sport Pilot looking for instructor. If this is you please contact me.

H.A.S.

I am looking for a Sport Pilot Instructor not wanting to train at a field with a tower or in controlled airspace.

If you look at that list, anyone around my area are doing training in controlled airspace. I will never fly in this airspace. I fly outside all major airports.
What I have found, there are two different SP out there.

One wants to fly his single seater Hi-Drag Low powered airplane around thier own field or runway just to get into the air and away from mother earth. These men and women fly planes in the price range of around $4000.00 - $8000.00 give or take a few bucks.

Then you have those whom go out and spend $60,000 - $130,000 for a new LSA to travel around from state to state.

Now to me the ladder is not SP. The first is a SP, the ladder is a SP wanting to fly as a PP but at a cheaper cost.

Now beat on me all you want, this is the way I see it. If you see it different I would like to look from your goggles, they must be beer goggles.

I go into this because this is how instructors or CFI what have you treat SP. As someone whom wants to travel from state to state.

What about the man in the PPC, Fat Ultralight or for those whom will say no such animal, Hi-Drag low powered bird. One that wieghs twice what the pilot weighs. An airplane that goes nowhere but around the patch.

These men need training and not from a controlled towered airport nor from a GA style bird. That training does these men no good at all.

This is the training I seek. I do not want to train in a GA bird. I want to train in a bird like I fly, Hi-Drag low powered airplane. Something that goes under 70 mph.

H.A.S.

Last edited:
I have a feeling the type of flying I want to do really is not out there. Its ultralights or these fast moving small GA style planes. The man or woman with the Hi-Drag low powered airplane either flies as an outlaw or does not fly at all.
Time to sell my plane.

H.A.S.

I have a feeling the type of flying I want to do really is not out there. Its ultralights or these fast moving small GA style planes. The man or woman with the Hi-Drag low powered airplane either flies as an outlaw or does not fly at all.
Time to sell my plane.

H.A.S.

Dude. Lighten up.

There are about a bazillion (approximately) pilots out there who are content to just putz around in the air for the sake of putzing around in the air. If you can't learn in exactly the kind of place you want to learn in, well, learn anyhow. Then, fly the way you want to fly.

What kind of airplane do you have?

Dude. Lighten up.

There are about a bazillion (approximately) pilots out there who are content to just putz around in the air for the sake of putzing around in the air. If you can't learn in exactly the kind of place you want to learn in, well, learn anyhow. Then, fly the way you want to fly.

What kind of airplane do you have?

Sorry I did not mean to sound so harsh.

I fly a Single-Seat Low Wing Tail Dragger. Avenger with a hummel 1/2 vw. She wieghs in at around 450 without pilot. Flies around 60-70 ASI. I fly for about 45 mins to one hr at a time. I can not sit in that little bird any longer.

I never fly farther then a few miles. If I fly 15 mins I am happy for the day. I have put her up for sale for I do not like breaking the law by not being certified to fly this bird. I would like to fly to a couple small fields for breakfast and such without worrying about ramp check or something. These fields are within my 10 mile radius of my little field. This is about the farthest I like to travel from home field.

This is my style or type of flying. I fly with a group and we all fly this way. All of us need the training I speak of. There are those whom will not post like I am for fear of bringing attention too themselfs. They just go about doing what they have done for years.

I am trying to correct this for all of us. I know I have drawn attention to myself for doing it, but someone needs to step up and be an advocate or spokesperson for these men and women whom are like myself.

All the training we have found for SP ouside of class c airspace is a 2 hr drive, then we train in a plane that flies over 100 and has a steering wheel you push and pull. None of us fly our birds this way nor do we reach speeds anywhere close to those speeds.

Becuase of this, only a few even try to get training. This needs to change.

Again I do not mean to sound harsh, just trying to follow the rules. It says right in the rules, SP trains in the type of plane one flies. I have not found this.

H.A.S.

Sounds like what you really need is an ultralight instructor (there are 2place ultralights) and not a sport pilot.

As for your comment "controlled airspace", almost everything in the US is controlled. Perhaps what you're thinking of is flying low in only E and G airspace where there's no tower and no communications required.

H.A.S. - I think I understand what you're saying and commend you for looking for training options. Perhaps you can find a flight instructor teaching in something like a Champ, Cub or Luscombe. The folks who operate those sorts of planes are (in my limited experience) much more likely to appreciate flying the same way you do. Of course, that kind of set up can be a little more difficult to find - most aren't big-time operators with an internet presence; more likely they just happen to be CFIs who teach occasionally or do a lot of tailwheel endorsements for the private pilot types.

It might help if we had some idea where you're located - I know of two such instructors who might be able to help you, if you're nearby.

How many?

An independent CFI should be able to help. As noted, a Cub or other small 2-place tail-dragger ought to be usable. Are you up-to-date on the ground lessons--and only need flight lessons and sign-offs? In other words, can you already pass the written test?

All the training we have found for SP ouside of class c airspace is a 2 hr drive, then we train in a plane that flies over 100 and has a steering wheel you push and pull. None of us fly our birds this way nor do we reach speeds anywhere close to those speeds.

Becuase of this, only a few even try to get training. This needs to change.

Again I do not mean to sound harsh, just trying to follow the rules. It says right in the rules, SP trains in the type of plane one flies. I have not found this.

H.A.S.

The only real issue I see here is:

§ 61.327 Are there specific endorsement requirements to operate a light-sport aircraft based on VH ?
(a) Except as specified in paragraph (c) of this section, if you hold a sport pilot certificate and you seek to operate a light-sport aircraft that is an airplane with a VH less than or equal to 87 knots CAS you must—
(1) Receive and log ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in an airplane that has a VH less than or equal to 87 knots CAS; and
(2) Receive a logbook endorsement from the authorized instructor who provided the training specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section certifying that you are proficient in the operation of light-sport aircraft that is an airplane with a VH less than or equal to 87 knots CAS.

Training in a faster airplane or in class C shouldn't be a real deal breaker as long as you can get the above required endorsement at some point in (or after) the process. The main objective is to get the plastic card, right? You may even find that it is not as bad as you imagine.​

And, while training is training, and it may not be as much fun as flying on your own, it still beats the heck out of a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I even got about 8 hours of dual in a freaking big assed Cessna 150 (yoke, flaps, tailwheel on the wrong end, etc. etc. etc.) a couple years ago. Somehow I survived. And even had a good time. It's still flying.​

You will find that Stick vs Yoke is a 110% non issue if you were to try both. (I assume you are using a stick and not weight shift?)​

I would like to thank you for your imput on this. You are right I need the endorsement signed.

I went to Oshokosh and received my Student Sport Pilot certificate. Now I need to further this training, and in the proccess I have some friends whom are trying to follow what I am doing.

Since we all fly taildraggers, does this training have to be in a taildragger and if not what will it take to legally fly our planes. That whats all this is about being legal.

Thanks again for your advice. We need all the help we can get.

H.A.S.

I would like to thank you for your imput on this. You are right I need the endorsement signed.

I went to Oshokosh and received my Student Sport Pilot certificate. Now I need to further this training, and in the proccess I have some friends whom are trying to follow what I am doing.

Since we all fly taildraggers, does this training have to be in a taildragger and if not what will it take to legally fly our planes. That whats all this is about being legal.

Thanks again for your advice. We need all the help we can get.

H.A.S.

You can get your S.P. ticket with a nosewheel (if that's all there is in the area) and add a tailwheel endorsement somewhere along the way - assuming you already can handle the airplane in three point and wheel landings I'm not thinking a lot of "dual" would be required for the endorsement (or the less than whatever knots endorsement).

In an ideal situation, you could find an instructor who would be willing to sign you off to solo in your own airplane. But that would be difficult. And you have the issue that some instructors may be less than excited about having a student who has done some "off the books" flying.

Get the plastic card. Get the logbook endorsements. You are then good to go.

How many?

An independent CFI should be able to help. As noted, a Cub or other small 2-place tail-dragger ought to be usable. Are you up-to-date on the ground lessons--and only need flight lessons and sign-offs? In other words, can you already pass the written test?

There are 3 of us with a couple watching what we are doing from the side lines.

As for ground training. I have subscribed and read things like American Flyers private Pilot learning Guide.
I understand this is for a PP but I pickup a lot from it.

As for controlled airspace, I understand all airspace is controlled, but some we must or I must never enter and that space I avoid.

With my little bird I should never be in airspace where I will be speaking to a tower.

As for the comment about the type of flying we do is more like an ultralight, that is correct. There are those of us whom do not feel safe in a ultralight, because of this we are forced to fly a little bigger bird. One that falls between ultralight and LSA. The way we fly these birds are the same as an ultralight for they carry 5 to 8 gallons of fuel, are slow and draggy. In one of these you are not going anywhere.

Again thank you everyone for the imput and understanding.

H.A.S.

There are 3 of us with a couple watching what we are doing from the side lines.

As for ground training. I have subscribed and read things like American Flyers private Pilot learning Guide.
I understand this is for a PP but I pickup a lot from it.

As for controlled airspace, I understand all airspace is controlled, but some we must or I must never enter and that space I avoid.

With my little bird I should never be in airspace where I will be speaking to a tower.

As for the comment about the type of flying we do is more like an ultralight, that is correct. There are those of us whom do not feel safe in a ultralight, because of this we are forced to fly a little bigger bird. One that falls between ultralight and LSA. The way we fly these birds are the same as an ultralight for they carry 5 to 8 gallons of fuel, are slow and draggy. In one of these you are not going anywhere.

Again thank you everyone for the imput and understanding.

H.A.S.
H.A.S.,

I've been dealing with some students down in San Antonio with a very similar situation. Your best option as far as I can tell is to come somewhere like they are doing having studied up and passed the written, and try to get it knocked out in a Cub or similar bird. There's a small, but extant market for someone doing instruction in Quicksilvers and similar aircraft, but there are real issues for those instructors as well.

Ryan

H.A.S.,

I've been dealing with some students down in San Antonio with a very similar situation. Your best option as far as I can tell is to come somewhere like they are doing having studied up and passed the written, and try to get it knocked out in a Cub or similar bird. There's a small, but extant market for someone doing instruction in Quicksilvers and similar aircraft, but there are real issues for those instructors as well.

Ryan

Ryan I have family in Austin whom have been asking me to visit. I might have to do this and do my training while there.
But again this does not help my friends, kinda thinking of myself. Maybe this is not the way to go. I want to be able to help others in the area with this training or finding training. To many only " think of themselfs" I do not want to be one of them.

Thinking out load here....lol

Have you ever heard of a man whom goes by the name of Mercury Charlie? I have not seen him in years.

H.A.S.

What we need is instructors welling to train those men and women whom have been flying for years in quicksilver and "fat Ultralights", I know no such thing but it is what it is.

For these men and women whom know how to fly and have been doing it for years, these men and women need someone willing to get them current up to speed so to speak.

Now if you are a newbie or never flown you need to go to a instructor of a different sort....Does this make sense....

Example: We do not need someone to explain to us the forces acting on a plane, What to do in a stall, AoA, how to do wheel landings, how to do 3 point landings....ect This is the stuff Newbies need to learn and learn well. I am not saying we do not need to be drilled on this stuff, we just don't need the training.....I hope I am explaining myself..

We need someone to come to our place, drill us on what I just said, then watch us fly our birds. Then after these flights we get our endorsment only to fly this style of bird.

If someone has been flying the type of bird I speek of for years, I would think the "Saftey" of doing this traing should be very good, for these are not "Newbies" to flying just men and women whom need some help getting there i's dotted and T's crossed when it comes to getting there SP Certificate. They have logged or flown hundreds of hours and made hundreds of landings.

I hope I did not drag this out or Blab to much...

H.A.S.

Is your airplane licensed experimental with an airworthiness cert and an N number? If not the airplane is illegal to fly anyway. Don

Is your airplane licensed experimental with an airworthiness cert and an N number? If not the airplane is illegal to fly anyway. Don

You bet, I would not have it any other way. All of us have our birds legal, we just need help with our endorsements.

Well one man flies a quicksilver that meets 103 rule, but he would like to also get this SP certificate, just to fly this bird. He knows its not needed.

We all are just trying to get current and play according to the rules.

Again Thanks to everyone for the understanding and help here.

H.A.S.

HAS - it's all about economics. There's probably a good market for an enterprising guy to do this, but it'd likely be one or two places in the country where you end up in a bed and breakfast type of deal and try to finish up in a week.

Ryan

Then you have those whom go out and spend $60,000 - $130,000 for a new LSA to travel around from state to state.

Now to me the ladder is not SP. The first is a SP, the ladder is a SP wanting to fly as a PP but at a cheaper cost.

Now beat on me all you want, this is the way I see it. If you see it different I would like to look from your goggles, they must be beer goggles.

Just so you know... SP does not require a medical, PP does. Many LSA pilots are SP because that's the most they can legally be.

HAS - it's all about economics. There's probably a good market for an enterprising guy to do this, but it'd likely be one or two places in the country where you end up in a bed and breakfast type of deal and try to finish up in a week.

Ryan

Ryan I believe you are correct.

H.A.S.

Just so you know... SP does not require a medical, PP does. Many LSA pilots are SP because that's the most they can legally be.
Maybe so, but I've seen a number of sport pilots, and a lot of them genuinely aren't going for bigger and faster and enjoy their little birds and figure it saves them a lot of hassle they don't need. I'm talking reasonably healthy guys, too from what I can see.

Ryan

Back