Student Pilot Steals Plane in Vegas - Anyone Have ATC Audio?

I thought it was another ATP Inc pilot on the ground that talked him down, not ATC.

I recall the pilot who took the plane was a pedo that finally got caught.

If memory serves and that's why the guy was debating killing himself, if it wouldn't have been for the destruction of the aircraft, anything the aircraft hit, or the bad press for GA, I'd have just told the dude to pile it in. Not much of a soft spot for those people

Found it

Also has links to the audio

Re: Controller Talks Down Man who stole Plane from KVGT
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
Quote from: adanto6840 on May 06, 2015, 11:01:40 AM
Anyone plan to put this one together perhaps?

It is now. Spanned an hour and a half! That took some time. The friend he's talking to (comes on frequency landing about 1am local time) is hard to hear at times, but I left all the dialogue in. This audio is time compressed.

I don't think it's a controller; it's another pilot (the affected guy's friend) who talks him down. Might be an FBO owner or something, as the suicidal pilot stole one of his friend's Seminoles for this "adventure".

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51480710/KVGT-May-02-2015-0800Z-0930Z suicidal talk down.mp3

The inbound pilot ("Tony", the friend that talks him down) is apparently a pilot at ATP, as the inbound aircraft at the beginning of the audio belongs to ATP:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000256161.html

The pilot in the air stole this aircraft:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000298607.html

I believe he was a student or instructor at ATP, as he references John Amico making his life hell for the past month and a half.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-amico/23/8a2/53b

wow what a mess. And yes, glad he didn't auger that thing into a hotel on the strip. And I agree...hate to see a plane go to waste but as a father with 3 boys...I have nothing for guys like this.

Last edited:
Dude just step in front of a moving train or hop off a bridge or put a bullet in your, and only your, head. These guys don't even have enough courage to kill themselves alone.

Why is it that suicidal people feel the need to hurt others on their way out? Thank ____ this guy didn't do that.

In other news.

manwalksonmoon--smallstepforman.jpg

Last edited:
In other news.

manwalksonmoon--smallstepforman.jpg

Oh the memory... that is I had a Inquire paper route, it was the morning paper, so yes I was up and out way before school started... I remember this as one hot and humid day...

Use to pick my papers up in front of a Wa Wa market which was good for a chocolate milk and a blueberry tasty-cake pie... the cornerstone of any nutritious American breakfast..

I thought it was another ATP Inc pilot on the ground that talked him down, not ATC.

I recall the pilot who took the plane was a pedo that finally got caught.

If memory serves and that's why the guy was debating killing himself, if it wouldn't have been for the destruction of the aircraft, anything the aircraft hit, or the bad press for GA, I'd have just told the dude to pile it in. Not much of a soft spot for those people

This is months old news.
Yes it was ATC that talked him down, but he personally knew the pilot.
It was not a student but a qualified multi instructor from ATP that had been released from the company but took one of their twins for a final ride.

This is months old news.
Yes it was ATC that talked him down, but he personally knew the pilot.
It was not a student but a qualified multi instructor from ATP that had been released from the company but took one of their twins for a final ride.

From the audio it sure sounds like it was another ATP Inc pilot who was talking to him.

Ether way..

I didn't know it was old news - i saw the flying article and it was dated recently saying they just took him into custody. And yes, there's no way the guy on the horn talking to him is a controller...that is a controlled field but I doubt they have anyone in the tower at 1am or whatever it was that this guy was flying around. I didn't check the book - but seems like that's the case.

Back