Student pilot...or not..

cleared4theoption

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
So, if you have done your solo and have a current medical...but you have passed the 90 days...are you still a "Student Pilot" or are you not until you re-solo?

You are 'Student Pilot' until the form you are holding is expired.

Henning is right, but of course it would not be valid to fly with unless proper and current endorsements are in your log book.

Henning is right, but of course it would not be valid to fly with unless proper and current endorsements are in your log book.
Understood...and believe me, it has been two years since my solo...even if it was legal, and I could find a place dumb enough to rent me a plane...no way in h-e double hockey sticks would I try to get up there and fly by myself. :nonod:

Just a follow up. Trying to understand the regs...
Basically once I get my medical and student pilot certificate, it never expires(the student pilot cert...not the medical..I know for me it expires in 60 months)...but in order to exercise solo privledges, I have to have a CFI endorsement within the last 90 days and a current medical...is that about right?
I found some conflicting info online that seems to suggest that a Student Pilot Cert expires after 2 years...couldn't find any reference to that in the regs:dunno:

§ 61.19 Duration of pilot and instructor certificates.

(a) General. The holder of a certificate with an expiration date may not, after that date, exercise the privileges of that certificate.
(b) Student pilot certificate.
(1) For student pilots who have not reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.
(2) For student pilots who have reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 24 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.
(3) For student pilots seeking a glider rating, balloon rating, or a sport pilot certificate, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date issued, regardless of the person's age.
(c) Other pilot certificates. A pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under this part is issued without a specific expiration date. The holder of a pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license may exercise the privileges of that certificate only while that person's foreign pilot license is effective.

Okay cool.. I am assuming that if I was 35 when I got the cert...and I will turn 40 before about 10 months before the 60 months, It will basically expire on my birthday when I turn 40, since then I will fall under (2) of that reg, and it will have been more than 24 months.

Okay cool.. I am assuming that if I was 35 when I got the cert...and I will turn 40 before about 10 months before the 60 months, It will basically expire on my birthday when I turn 40, since then I will fall under (2) of that reg, and it will have been more than 24 months.

As I understand it, if you turn forty and your Student Pilot certificate has reached the last day of the month, 24 months after date of issuance, it is no longer valid.

No big deal. The Student Medical is easy to get another as long as you're healthy. It will be a small hoop among all of the hoops you will have to jump through for your PPL. Just go do whatever you have to do and keep working on it 'til your done. The longer you stay away, the more hours it will take to beat off the rust. Been there, done that.

As I understand it, if you turn forty and your Student Pilot certificate has reached the last day of the month, 24 months after date of issuance, it is no longer valid.

No big deal. The Student Medical is easy to get another as long as you're healthy. It will be a small hoop among all of the hoops you will have to jump through for your PPL. Just go do whatever you have to do and keep working on it 'til your done. The longer you stay away, the more hours it will take to beat off the rust. Been there, done that.
It's been two years and I am really itching to get back...your post brings me to another question which I will put in a different thread...

Nope, it goes by your age at issue, if you go the day before your 40th B-day, you will have the next medical another 60 months. Your student pilot cert expires with the medical.

Nope, it goes by your age at issue, if you go the day before your 40th B-day, you will have the next medical another 60 months. Your student pilot cert expires with the medical.
So it would make sense, going forward to actually re-up my medical the day before my 40th birthday...then it's good until I'm 45...instead of waiting until the 60th month (when I'm 41) then I would have to do it again when I'm 43, and again when I'm 45. That takes an extra trip to the doc out of the equation.

So it would make sense, going forward to actually re-up my medical the day before my 40th birthday...then it's good until I'm 45...instead of waiting until the 60th month (when I'm 41) then I would have to do it again when I'm 43, and again when I'm 45. That takes an extra trip to the doc out of the equation.

I'm in this same boat this year and yes. But you might not want to cut it that close. A month or so before seems reasonable.

See, you're getting the hang of how this all works already.;)

Read the rules, play the game, use them to best advantage. If you look closely at the rules, they really aren't highly restrictive with many allowances written into them and this is not just with medical issues.

The FAA actually tells you point blank, "If there is a rule you need to break to assure the safe conclusion to a flight you have complete authority to break any and every rule you deem necessary." right there in FAR 91.3.

See, you're getting the hang of how this all works already.;)

Read the rules, play the game, use them to best advantage. If you look closely at the rules, they really aren't highly restrictive with many allowances written into them and this is not just with medical issues.

The FAA actually tells you point blank, "If there is a rule you need to break to assure the safe conclusion to a flight you have complete authority to break any and every rule you deem necessary." right there in FAR 91.3.

Does this mean he needs to renew his medical while in flight?:rofl:

Back