student pilot-medical question

U

Unregistered

So I am getting ready to start flying and recently filled out my first med express form. On it I left some things off that my instructor said wouldn't be a big deal and he wouldn't put on there. As I get closer to the date of my exam with the doc I am wondering if this was a good idea. Neither one are disqualifying, that I have found at least. Do I need to make a new med express form with a new Email, or inform my doc when I go? Or just leave it alone

Specifically the things I left off are a Pilonidal cyst removal back in January (and the doctors visits for diagnosis, removal and check ups.) And a surgery I had when I was a baby because I didn't have a soft spot at birth. Neither of which left me with any long term effects of any kind. I am kinda worried though that I should have put them on and let the doc decided whether or not they are trivial.

So I am getting ready to start flying and recently filled out my first med express form. On it I left some things off that my instructor said wouldn't be a big deal and he wouldn't put on there.

Oh boy.... where to begin to thump on that instructor... He is providing you some bad advice regarding the medical application.

One thing you never do on a government form (including the 8500-8, which is what MedXpress replicates) is lie. Whether by full on intention, or by omission, getting caught lying on the form will bring down a whole lotta bad things on you, including revocation of all flying privileges.

So, by extension, your instructor is advising you to omit something that the FAA might be wanting to know about you, as advice to lie on an official FAA form.

Not the best of beginnings with this instructor.

As I get closer to the date of my exam with the doc I am wondering if this was a good idea. Neither one are disqualifying, that I have found at least. Do I need to make a new med express form with a new Email, or inform my doc when I go? Or just leave it alone

First, wait for Dr. Bruce Chien to comment on your conditions. Or reach out to him directly via email.

Next, Once Dr. Bruce has weighed in, advising you on the correct way to go about your first medical, I would definitely agree with starting a new MedXpress form with a different email. Provide the correct information, obtain and make available any doctors reports and health files required. And make sure you're working with one of the AME's who fit the following criteria:

1. Is a pilot himself
  2. Is a Senior AME (with a closet full of BTDT T-shirts)
  3. Has the OKC Offices on Speed dial
  4. Knows the Senior examiners by first name.
  5. Prefers to issue the more challenging certificates in office rather than defer
  6. Is not afraid to use said speed dial to reach out to said senior examiner and obtain the said in office issuance.

Specifically the things I left off are a Pilonidal cyst removal back in January (and the doctors visits for diagnosis, removal and check ups.) And a surgery I had when I was a baby because I didn't have a soft spot at birth. Neither of which left me with any long term effects of any kind. I am kinda worried though that I should have put them on and let the doc decided whether or not they are trivial.

Glad you mentioned these. Question 18 starts off with "Have You Ever In Your Life Been Diagnosed With, Had, Or Do You Presently Have Any Of The Following:" I'll defer to Dr. Bruce, but if you had answered "NO" to 18U (Admission to hospital), the baby soft spot situation might cause the bad mojo to happen.

The cyst removal likely goes under the doctor visit list. But you'll need to bring appropriate documentation about the situation. Again, Dr. Bruce can advise on what you need to have and what report is needed from your physician. Done correctly, it becomes a yawn for the AME's and no bad mojo.

Again, reach out to the right AME's including Dr. Bruce for the correct assistance on this.

One thing...

Under no circumstances give your MedExpress code for an AME to pull up your completed application until such time as Dr. Bruce advises you on how to fix this.

One thing, have you actually "completed" the application, or is it still in "draft" mode where you can still edit stuff? If still draft, then this is a "nothinburger", fix your omissions and go forth and sin no more. If you've "submitted" the application, then you'll need to start a new one, provided you've not have an AME pull the file.

There are some things that shouldn't be put on the medical form.
Obviously you don't want leave out any obvious medical or legal issues.

but documenting that you once passed out in the 4th grade from holding your breath is just dumb.

I am sure there are quite few other examples.

I have submitted the form, but nobody has pulled it up. It has been bugging me since I filled it out that I didn't put them on there so I wanted to get another opinion before going to the doc. I will go ahead and start a new one asap. I am still waiting on any advice from Dr. Bruce though before I proceed further.

There are some things that shouldn't be put on the medical form.
Obviously you don't want leave out any obvious medical or legal issues.

but documenting that you once passed out in the 4th grade from holding your breath is just dumb.
The FAA does not believe it's the applicant's place to decide that something is important or not -- as they see it, that's the job of the aviation medical professionals conducting the examination and reviewing the work. As such, the FAA will hold you accountable if you leave out something they later discover and decide was significant. If you have any doubts, put it in, or at least ask the AME about it (and document the answer in your records) before you leave it out. If you put in something that's not significant, the worst that happens is they ignore it. But if you leave out something, that can cost you your certificate.

If I fill out another form on med express will it not throw a red flag because of the matching SSN? I don't want to be disqualified trying to fix my screw up...

If I fill out another form on med express will it not throw a red flag because of the matching SSN? I don't want to be disqualified trying to fix my screw up...

Shouldn't. I believe your old application will age out of the system, but I don't know how long that takes.

Nope. FAA can't see them at all unless an AME downloads it... "I do raise my right hand, that this application corresponds to that man there....." has never happened.

60 days, it's gone.

You can create another one from a different email address, at any time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back