Student pilot lands on two cars

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I think this is at X39. Reports state it was a student pilot on his 2nd solo, age 60, and the lost control during landing.

http://www.baynews9.com/article/new...ort:-Plane-lands-on-two-cars-in-Wesley-Chapel

attachment.php

Attachments

• plane-on-cars-10280000_rdax_676x456.jpg
    plane-on-cars-10280000_rdax_676x456.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 334
I hope he's OK. That's a tough break. Cars and airplanes are more easily repaired than bodies, and bodies more easily repaired than egos.

Poor guy. Everyone makes dumb mistakes as a student pilot, but it must suck to be the dude whose dumb mistakes result in property damage and photos on the internet.
Blow to the ego indeed.

Poor bastard, my 2nd solo gave me a little 'pucker factor' moment too.. but I kept it in the air :hairraise:

Poor guy. Everyone makes dumb mistakes as a student pilot, but it must suck to be the dude whose dumb mistakes result in property damage and photos on the internet.
Blow to the ego indeed.

I've made all my dumb flying mistakes post-checkride.

It is obvious that the problem here is the student was a 60 year old. This never could have happened to a younger student.

I know, I myself, had a hard time avoiding parked cars when I was doing my first few solos. I don't know what it is, the older you get, the closer to the runway those idiots want to park their cars.

People over 80 have to be especially careful. :)

John

Last edited:
I know, I myself, had a hard time avoiding parked cars when I was doing my first few solos. I don't know what it is, the older you get, the closer to the runway those idiots want to park their cars.
I am going to have my second solo this Saturday, but it's unlikely that I'll reach any cars due to a failure to maintain directional control. It's the advantage of flying from a big airfield: I can easily spear a Pilatus, a 737, a C-17, or an Osprey, but hardly a car.
-- P

Was one of them his instructor's ride?

That would be poetic I guess.

That error must be humiliating. I can only hope (and practice) that I never screw up like that (or worse).

Well as long as nobody was seriously injured, such is.

It is obvious that the problem here is the student was a 60 year old. This never could have happened to a younger student.

People over 80 can have to be especially careful. :)

John
If the pilot was over 80 and his age was the problem, the cars would have run him over not the other way around. At least that's the way it would be if he was from Florida.

Doesn't make me feel too comfy.
Get used to lots of incidents in FL that are aviation related. There is lots of flying in that state and lots of it is training. Some of the airspace is very congested too. Especially east of you from about midway across the state to the Miama/FTL/Ft. Pierce area. Not too mention there is military traffic around too.

Get used to lots of incidents in FL that are aviation related. There is lots of flying in that state and lots of it is training. Some of the airspace is very congested too. Especially east of you from about midway across the state to the Miama/FTL/Ft. Pierce area. Not too mention there is military traffic around too.

Funny you mention that, one of my X-coutnry flights was to Kendal/Tamiami (KTMB) taking me right accross the Everglades and near Miami clas B.. was pretty darn supprised at how much traffic there is in the middle of the alley where there is virtually nothing but marsh!

Funny you mention that, one of my X-coutnry flights was to Kendal/Tamiami (KTMB) taking me right accross the Everglades and near Miami clas B.. was pretty darn supprised at how much traffic there is in the middle of the alley where there is virtually nothing but marsh!
Yep. That is the south Florida XC by-way ;)

My sister lived in Lantana and I would often fly from Sarasota over to her place and cut through that area. If it was VFR I would climb up to 7.5 or 9.5k to cross to stay above of all the VFR traffic that was doing their XCs. More often than not I was IFR and that helped a lot.

Another place for lots of traffic is on the coast. Keep your eyes peeled for all the sightseers.

But all in all FL is some great flying. I was heading up to Albany, GA once and you could see all the convection and junk on the east coast, yet I was in smooth VMC. The midwest is not like that at all. When there are thunderstorms here they are huge and you just stay on the ground.

Flying from Lauderdale to Amelia Island I got on top of a broken layer at 8500 feet. Through the holes in the clouds I saw more airplanes than I have anywhere other than Oshkosh. They were almost as thick as the mosquitos.

Thank god for flight following, getting very familiar with Ft. Myers dep/apch lol

Back