J

Get & maintained a 1st class from the beginning. If your goal is eventual airline piloting, you need to know early on that you qualify for a 1st class medical and not spend thousands on advanced ratings only to find out you have a disqualifying condition.

You only need a third class for all the training and checkrides for the certificates and ratings you mentioned. 61.23(a)(3)(iii)

@midlifeflyer has it right.

If you hear something like "You need a 2nd class for Commercial", they are talking about "exercising commercial privileges" (that is, actually working), not for training for the rating or taking the checkride or getting the certificate, which you can do with just a 3rd. Same for training for the CFI certificate and instrument rating.

Disclaimer: My questions here might be too obvious, but I plead with y'all to have patience with me since I'm naïve with the issue.

I am puzzled about what class medical I need to get since on the FAA website, it states that 3rd class medical is generally for private pilots. In my case, I will be enrolling in a Part 141 school over four years and I will advance from PPL to Instrument, Commercial, Multi-engine and finally CFI.

My question is that will a third class medical suffice for my flight training over the course of 4 years or do I need something like a 2nd class in order to train for Instrument and Commercial...?

Thanks in advance for the clarifications!

If your end goal is CFI, then all you need is a 3rd class. After getting your 3rd class once, then you can switch to basic med.

You only need a 3rd class for the FAA. Your school might require more.

However, you don't want to take all that training and then not be able to qualify for a 1st class medical (assuming you want to fly commercially). Get at least the initial 1st class now. Assuming you're under 40, a 1st class medical is good for 12 months, then reverts to a 3rd class for the next 4 years, for a total of 5 years. You can use that 1st/3rd medical for all your training, but if you want to work as a pilot, you'll need a 1st or 2nd class all the time, depending on the job.

If you have ANYTHING in your history that even hints at being questionable, get a consult from an AME before you do a medical or ask here anonymously. A consult is a paid engagement where you talk with the doctor about your medical history and they tell you what the medical qualification path is, if there is one. By getting the consult first, you will know what your situation is before the exam. Two common things that come up are past DUIs and ADD or depression medication. Both can trigger a very burdensome and expensive process ($$$$) to keep and maintain a medical. If that's you, you might decide to forego professional flying and just fly as a Sport Pilot. The flying is more restrictive, but you still get to get up in the air and fly.

If your end goal is CFI, then all you need is a 3rd class. After getting your 3rd class once, then you can switch to basic med.

Basic Med does not work for any professional and commercial flying endeavors. Nor does the 3rd class either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Basic Med does not work for any professional and commercial flying endeavors. Nor does the 3rd class either.

That's why he said "if your end goal is CFI" not "if your end goal is the airlines"

You didn't specify, but if by chance you are using GI Bill benefits, the VA will require a 2nd class medical for all the training up to ATP, which they will require a 1st class medical.

I believe the reason is that the whole idea behind the GI Bill is to fund training towards a career, and if you can't get the appropriate medical, you can't fly as a career.

Except instructing. Unless things have changed with recent confusing moves by the FAA.

Last edited:
As always, probably the best advice is to get the med that matches your highest possible aspirations. No doubt there are programs that will let you rack up the hours and advanced certificates on a 3rd class, knowing full well you probably won't get the med for a job at the higher end.

Back