Student Pilot and Basic Med

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
TL/DR; Can a student pilot holding a valid BasicMed be allowed to solo and eventually take his practical exam?
=======================

I have been approached by a student pilot who holds a valid Basic Medical to help him become a private pilot. This is my first encounter with a student who is using Basic Med instead of a typical FAA Medical Certificate

In his logbook he does have his expired 3rd class medical (issued within the allowed look back time frame) and his Basic Med paperwork.

To date, I have provided a few lessons and he is one or two flights away from me conducting the supervised solo.

To apply some personal CYA, I am trying to find a "black letter" bit of information that says he can not only go on to do his solo flights, but also can eventually proceed to his practical exam when ready.

So far, all I have found is the Basic Med FAQ and question Q.17

Q17: Do student pilots need to hold a medical certificate when they go for their private pilot checkride?

A: Individuals who are new to aviation will need to get one medical certificate if they want to fly under BasicMed. After that, they can fly under BasicMed forever, as long as they fly a BasicMed-compliant aircraft and never fly for compensation or hire. Most student pilots will still hold their first medical certificate when they apply for their private pilot certificate.
I think this answers my question definitively, but want to make certain this is all I need in case I get called into the principal's office by a DPE or FSDO Inspector. If there is something more definitive, I want to add a copy of it to the records I am keeping on this student.

@Brad Z ... I know you have been a good knowledge source for things Basic Med. Any help?

61.89(d) refers you to 61.23(c)(3).

61.23(c)(3)(i)(C) says it can be a BasicMed exam.

Yes. He's good to go, provided that last medical was valid on July 15, 2006, or some point after (and hasn't since applied for another and denied after the fact, or the last medical was withdrawn after it was issued)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back