Student Pilot Adding Oil

Perhaos you can quote the section you think covers adding oil to the engine?

It is not specified as previously stated. For that reason, I can understand why someone would go to the FSDO to get a ruling, care of the minutae

FWIW- I added oil and fuel as a student when required. I have even done so unsupervised. I agree that it's reeee-dik-a-lous to even go through these lenghts to ensure the letter of the law is followed, but it is what it is....a regulated hobby industry.

I agree, it's extremely non-sensical. However, I'm sure we could all point out many of those in the FARs. What I have yet so see here, besides borderline mockery, is a concrete interpretation or evidence showing that our analysis is incorrect, however ridiculous it may seem to us non-bureaucrats.

If you're really that worried about it give your student a logbook endorsement authorizing them to put oil in the airplane.

They are learning how to be a pilot. Putting oil into and servicing the airplane is a pretty well accepted requirement to be a pilot.

:rolleyes2:

It is not specified as previously stated.
Then it isn't in Part 43 as you previously said. Thank you for agreeing to that. As I said earlier, it is servicing, not maintenance (see the FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual on your plane for an example of the FAA agreeing to that), so Part 43 isn't applicable, and there are no regulations governing who may service a plane operated under Part 91. So, the letter of the law says that it's OK for someone not a mechanic or even a pilot to add oil.

Taking the most permissive route, if the regs don't say you cannot, then you may. There is nothing stopping my mother-in-law from adding oil and she has done nothing in a GA airplane except sit in the back of a C-172 with me at the controls.

The PIC still must CHECK the oil, therefore the universe is preserved from insanity.

The PIC still must CHECK the oil, therefore the universe is preserved from insanity.
Actually, the PIC can delegate that task to a properly trained crewmember, but remains responsible if that delegee screws it up.

Taking the most permissive route, if the regs don't say you cannot, then you may. There is nothing stopping my mother-in-law from adding oil and she has done nothing in a GA airplane except sit in the back of a C-172 with me at the controls.
Better to beg for forgiveness than permission. :D

I just did it last week before my last flight. No big deal. The PIC is resposible for the aircraft being airworthy. If the student is doing a solo, in this capacity, sounds legit to me. Oh, checkride tomorrow. I'll let you all know what happens. Weather looks like crap, but I'll at least get the oral out of the way.

Do you really want to go there???

Do you really want the FAA regulating your mother-in-law???

:no:

The pussification of [pilots of] america continues...;)

Back