Stuck

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
I am effectively stuck at home for the day I think.
Missouri had 14+ inches of snow last night. NO plows out yet.
I have a 4wd truck, got stuck 3 times in the first mile, had to back up all the way back to my house to try and stay in my own tracks.
FUN, FUN.

I am effectively stuck at home for the day I think.
Missouri had 14+ inches of snow last night.

Well, bright side, you're back home safe, lights and heat are on, so have fun!

I know what you mean Mark. We have the heater on now. Its sposed to drop down to 68 today. ACK.

I really do feel for ya'll stuck in cold, wet weather. Right now it's 72 degrees on the way to a high of 77. Sunny, warm, and a little humid.

EDIT: Well...it was sunny coming in to work this morning. Quite cloudy outside now.

Last edited:
Day 2 of the weather here in sunny OKC. the streets are a mess, the turnpikes are shut down, schools are closed, etc. I arrived at work 30 minutes late and my desk is already covered with orders from body shops stretching from west Tex. to Mo. & Ark. Y'all drive careful out there, please!!

Yesterday was a record 62*(100 years) in Portland, Maine. But we can kiss that off in view of your stormy WX heading to the East coast this weekend.

HR

Mark:

Only "essential" personnel were to report to the Callaway Plant today (glad I'm no longer an "essential").

And apparently folks east of us got dumped with an ice storm, taking out at least 400,000 customers. Cold, cold, cold!

Jim

Neither Leslie nor I went to work today. The college is closed, and only about 15% of the people from her office made it in. It just doesn't seem prudent to risk driving on icy roads to make it in to work, when I can connect from home quite well.

Of course, I did hope that, since the college is closed, I could drive 3 miles to take my AGI exam this afternoon, but no one is ansering the phone at the testing location, either! :( Can't blame them, though!

This is the snowstorm we had here in Albuquerque the night before last, but we only got a dusting. Boy it sure is cold here now though, we're dropping into the teens at night.

I moved away from New Hampshire to avoid the cold. Stupid weather. :D

I feel for ya Mark, but I bet your dog's loving it.

Hmm 81F, am wearing shorts, heard it was bad up north yesterday and today, i feel for you all. I'll make sure I hoist a Mai Tai later for you when I head out to dinner

;)

I'm prepared for winter...

49618342-M.jpg

49618366-M.jpg

50052561-M-1.jpg

BRING IT ON! :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

Update:
Finally got to the plant. Now because of the snow load we have a problem with the roof. Had to evacuate the few people that were here and are waiting for the engineers to come and tell us what we have to do to make the place safe again.
Going to be a LONG night here.

i never understood why anyone north of texas built a flat roof on a building...

I imagine it would be by far more costly to build a factory without a flat roof. It just needs to be engineered to support the increased load from snow.

We got a fair amount of ice Tuesday night, about a 1/8-1/4 inch coating on everything. They forecasted 3-5 inches that night, then 1-3 last night, neither of which happened.

It's mostly behind us; did get pretty cold last night for Texas. Low was mid 20s which calls for supplemental heat they way our places are built. We got about an inch of snow. Some places saw accumulation; bridges and viaducts could have iced.

Back in the mid 50s today.

I sure don't envy those of you that are north of here <g.

Best,

Dave

I know what you mean Mark. We have the heater on now. Its sposed to drop down to 68 today. ACK.
Enuf of that.
You are officially warned to stay out of commiserating snow and cold threads. :D

I'm stranded, too, although I think I could get out if I had to. We got 3-4 inches where I am in the city but it's very heavy and water saturated. I know because I just 'bout killed myself shoveling it. (Remember I get my new, new washer delivered again tomorrow. Hadta make it so they could get it in. *sigh*)

They got 14-16" in some areas on the north and northwest of the city.

While I was getting started, one of my trendy upscale neighbors was walking down the sidewalk with her son while she pushed the baby and a shovel in the stroller. She was stopping to make a path on the sidewalk down the whole block while her little boy would make snow angels. :hairraise:

What is with these young people these days? :rolleyes:

I'm stranded, too, although I think I could get out if I had to. We got 3-4 inches where I am in the city but it's very heavy and water saturated. I know because I just 'bout killed myself shoveling it. (Remember I get my new, new washer delivered again tomorrow. Hadta make it so they could get it in. *sigh*)

Mike,

All the snow plows are over at Meigs.... :eek:

I'm prepared for winter...

49618342-M.jpg

49618366-M.jpg

BRING IT ON! :)

Cheers,

-Andrew

You need the two-wheel drive version of the bike. Studs or no, I think you'd have trouble in the 16" of heavy stuff. Besides, it would only be a matter of time before you got plowed under by some maroon in an ultra-safe Hummer.

The wife bribed the son to shovel the walk and drive & only cost me $10.00. I love the way she bribes the kids with my money. Gotta admit I would have probably paid more though. All 20 of the drivers that showed up today managed to make all their deliveries without any bent metal. Whew! From the early guesses, it's going to be very busy for the next month or so.

Mike,

All the snow plows are over at Meigs.... :eek:

They might be ...still blocking the taxiway to keep us from landing.

Chicago Mares learned not to mess with snow services after Jane Byrne beat the machine when Bilandic screwed up the cleanup after a big snow. I think my side street and alley have already been plowed.

Harpoon IPA -- gotta love it, Andrew (from one Andrew to another!)

WX is windy here, some rain coming, nothing like the midwest. Not flying weather anyway.

Good luck all.

You need more beer!

Yeah, more beer is probably a good idea... we've got 5G of Winter Warmer in secondary, an Oatmeal Stout in primary, and a killer Quadrupel in the wings...

<homer>Mmm, beer.</homer>

Cheers,

-Andrew

You need the two-wheel drive version of the bike. Studs or no, I think you'd have trouble in the 16" of heavy stuff. Besides, it would only be a matter of time before you got plowed under by some maroon in an ultra-safe Hummer.

Oh, that's the mountain bike - road bike only comes out when the roads are clear. I've got a set of studded cyclocross tires, but they are too sketchy on dry pavement to be worth it just for some occasional ice...

Studs don't help in deep snow. Only ice, and they make rollers on rock a bit hairy :hairraise:

Cheers,

-Andrew

We are completely stuck in PIA. 14", with a 2" underlayment of ice. Spent four hours with a 5 hp snowblower today, got dug out. But the City still has not sent a single plow into the neighborhoods. Got stuck 40 yards from my common-drive.

The clearance of the 4WD 500 is just not quite enough.

Walked 1.0 miles to the main road, hitched to the hospital. Got a ride home with a hospital administrator- to the 1.0 mile point. There were 4 cars stuck in my road, making it totally impassable. One hour each way.

This may be, on a small scale, the snowstorm that undoes our city council. (Anybody remember Chicago Mayor Mike Bilandic?).

Harpoon IPA -- gotta love it, Andrew (from one Andrew to another!)

WX is windy here, some rain coming, nothing like the midwest. Not flying weather anyway.

Good luck all.

Andrew - (hi!)

I drink a fair amount of Harpoon - my cycling buddy and good friend is a senior beer geek over there. So, out of honor and duty, I drink a large amount of his product just to keep my eye on his work :D

Cheers,

-Andrew

even here, Tony! My poorly-sloped hangar roof skeert the ____ out of me a few years ago when it got 1"+ of clear ice on it during a storm _ I recall doing some arithmetic to figure out the load and it was not anything like planned! (after I put the a/c on the ramp)
ps we saw 'light flurries' for a brief while yesterday...today I flew 3.3 in severely clear and cold skies.

We got a fair amount of ice Tuesday night, about a 1/8-1/4 inch coating on everything. They forecasted 3-5 inches that night, then 1-3 last night, neither of which happened.

The EAST was predicted to get the mid West headaches. Maine has had winds, heavy rain, even some thunder; but no snow.

HR

Back