Stuck screws

I am not sure I would use it on a plane though.

I love those tools. After the owner drives the anchor nut off the structure I get to replace it and repair the structure.

The last one I did was a Cessna fuel tank panel screws into the spar. yep you guessed it. they ruined the spar. repair was to remove the wing and send it out to get the spar replaced. $13k plus the removal and reinstall charges and 6 weeks down time. On a 150 that will nearly total the aircraft.

I love those tools I'm an A&P.

Speed handle, #2 apex bit and valve grinding compound. If it feels tight, break it loose first by turning it in slightly. I'm on the road all of the time pulling panels on some pretty poorly kept aircraft. I never carry a drill, impact, or easy -out. The compound creates such a good grip I have broken the apex tip before the screw broke loose.

Speed handle, #2 apex bit and valve grinding compound. If it feels tight, break it loose first by turning it in slightly. I'm on the road all of the time pulling panels on some pretty poorly kept aircraft. I never carry a drill, impact, or easy -out. The compound creates such a good grip I have broken the apex tip before the screw broke loose.

Your first try is your best chance at getting it out.

but when you add anti seze to the screw when you put it in there is no problem getting it out next year.

I love those tools. After the owner drives the anchor nut off the structure I get to replace it and repair the structure.

The last one I did was a Cessna fuel tank panel screws into the spar. yep you guessed it. they ruined the spar. repair was to remove the wing and send it out to get the spar replaced. $13k plus the removal and reinstall charges and 6 weeks down time. On a 150 that will nearly total the aircraft.

I love those tools I'm an A&P.

Blame the tool.

Bite me:wink2:

FWIW the really crappy part is that the screws are on the underside of a Cherokee 140 wing. The upside is getting to lay down on the job:lol:
Gas tank screws? BTDT.

I have had success by cutting a slot in the stripped phillips head and using a flat screwdriver.
Also a lefthanded drill bit, it will either remove the screw or drill off the head, then you can remove the screw from the inside with vicegrips, once the tank is outta the way. (screw it out, not through)

Stainless screws, and some anti sieze when going back together.

I use a little aero kroil. Let it sit a min or so, and 9 times out of 10 they come loose.

Back