Stuck in special issuance review while flying on EASA (European) license

putski

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
putski
Dear hive mind, I filed for special issuance with the FAA last August after a cardiac event (heart attack) 18 months ago. Now I, as so many others, seem to be stuck in "review". However, I also have EASA (European) pilot licenses & accompanying medical. Like my FAA medical, my European medical was cancelled immediately after the event. However, my European medical was reinstated last June, when my cardiologist declared me fit to fly. Now I know that Europeans can apply with the FSDO to convert their EASA license to a FAA license and be allowed to fly in the USA in I think about 2 weeks time. They are then issued a restricted FAA license that's based on, and only valid in conjunction with, their European license and European medical. Has anyone tried this route to reduce the long wait times and get flying in the USA sooner? Would a FSDO do this or would they punt it for the FAA medical division to make up their mind first? This would be for private & class III medical but I think would also apply to commercial & class II medical. Meanwhile I'll go back to training for my upcoming 1/2 marathon run.

Dear hive mind, I filed for special issuance with the FAA last August after a cardiac event (heart attack) 18 months ago. Now I, as so many others, seem to be stuck in "review". However, I also have EASA (European) pilot licenses & accompanying medical. Like my FAA medical, my European medical was cancelled immediately after the event. However, my European medical was reinstated last June, when my cardiologist declared me fit to fly. Now I know that Europeans can apply with the FSDO to convert their EASA license to a FAA license and be allowed to fly in the USA in I think about 2 weeks time. They are then issued a restricted FAA license that's based on, and only valid in conjunction with, their European license and European medical. Has anyone tried this route to reduce the long wait times and get flying in the USA sooner? Would a FSDO do this or would they punt it for the FAA medical division to make up their mind first? This would be for private & class III medical but I think would also apply to commercial & class II medical. Meanwhile I'll go back to training for my upcoming 1/2 marathon run.
Wait a minute. Are you telling me that an ACTUAL physician who was ACTUALLY involved in your healthcare was the one who approved you to return to flying and it wasn’t some piece of garbage government employee that hasn’t practiced medicine in years?

Correct. My treating cardiologist wrote "On the basis of the normal cardiac SPECT scintigram I concluded on June 12th 2023 that the pilot is fit to flying." Subsequently my EASA AME issued me a new medical, valid for one year with excercise treadmill yearly (normal and expected given the cardiac event).

I submitted my package with all reports including a clean (no perfusion defects) nuke test to the FAA on August 1. The FAA asked for additional information last December. No reports or tests, just a questionaire. The same treating cardiologist answered the questions and I submitted that 12/29.
Other than no symptoms, condition better than peers, family history and no comorbidities:
FAA: Ongoing treatment/surveillance plan and prognosis
Cardiologist: On the basis of current EASA regulations, the pilot is required to a yearly exercise test in order to maintain his license to fly. The prognosis is good.
and...
FAA: Has the applicant been released from all restrictions and may resume full activities without limitations? If any limitations, please explain
Cardiologist: Yes, there are no cardiological restrictions.
and...
FAA: What is the risk of recurrence, restenosis, complications, or sudden incapacitation?
Cardiologist: On the basis of the available data the risk of recurrence, restenosis, complications, or sudden incapacitation is low.

So here I am. My continued piloting is deemed not to be a risk to civilization and if I'd re-register my US based aircraft in Europe (which I could do) then me piloting in the US would also be legal.

I respect our aviation regulatory system and obviously the FAA needs to be allowed to form its own opinion. But given the situation I sometimes feel I'm only waiting for red tape. Hence the question, what would happen if I simply apply for a US license on the basis of my foreign license.

Correct. My treating cardiologist wrote "On the basis of the normal cardiac SPECT scintigram I concluded on June 12th 2023 that the pilot is fit to flying." Subsequently my EASA AME issued me a new medical, valid for one year with excercise treadmill yearly (normal and expected given the cardiac event).

I submitted my package with all reports including a clean (no perfusion defects) nuke test to the FAA on August 1. The FAA asked for additional information last December. No reports or tests, just a questionaire. The same treating cardiologist answered the questions and I submitted that 12/29.
Other than no symptoms, condition better than peers, family history and no comorbidities:
FAA: Ongoing treatment/surveillance plan and prognosis
Cardiologist: On the basis of current EASA regulations, the pilot is required to a yearly exercise test in order to maintain his license to fly. The prognosis is good.
and...
FAA: Has the applicant been released from all restrictions and may resume full activities without limitations? If any limitations, please explain
Cardiologist: Yes, there are no cardiological restrictions.
and...
FAA: What is the risk of recurrence, restenosis, complications, or sudden incapacitation?
Cardiologist: On the basis of the available data the risk of recurrence, restenosis, complications, or sudden incapacitation is low.

So here I am. My continued piloting is deemed not to be a risk to civilization and if I'd re-register my US based aircraft in Europe (which I could do) then me piloting in the US would also be legal.

I respect our aviation regulatory system and obviously the FAA needs to be allowed to form its own opinion. But given the situation I sometimes feel I'm only waiting for red tape. Hence the question, what would happen if I simply apply for a US license on the basis of my foreign license.
If you end up trying to validate your easa license/medical please let us know how it goes. It sounds like it should work since you have a valid medical and easa license so I personally don’t see what the problem would be. If I was in your situation I would try the same thing.

Back