Stuck in Richmond

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
On my way to North Carolina. It has been a great trip so far but the WX has thwarted the last leg. I am stuck in Richmond waiting for the T-Storms to clear out of my route of flight. Nice WX at the arrival airport but not in between. Hopefully be back in the air in an hour or so from now. Then BEACH TIME!! YEAH vacation

smigaldi said:
On my way to North Carolina. It has been a great trip so far but the WX has thwarted the last leg. I am stuck in Richmond waiting for the T-Storms to clear out of my route of flight. Nice WX at the arrival airport but not in between. Hopefully be back in the air in an hour or so from now. Then BEACH TIME!! YEAH vacation

Fun. Unfortunately, there's not much around the Richmond airport. If you end up overnight, there are a few fun places in town.

Scott...I was in little Washington NC today and it rained the entire day!!!!! Hope you make it here safely.

Whew, Made it!!

There was a smalle enough break to give it a try. I departed KRIC and headed direct to ECG then Direct KMQI. The weather was for band of rain with ceilings at 1100 SCT 3500 BKN 6000BKN. I chose 4000 and we had MVFR to IMC for about half the flight. I shot the GPS23 approach into KMQI and landed at 6:55pm, the FBO closes at 7pm and they had my car waiting. Tied down, loaded the car and just as I was finishing putting the cover on the plane it started to pour. Good timing!!

Glad I made it. YOu can see the tracks at flightaware.com for my tail number N8116B. Unforetunetly for the last leg they lost radar as I got closer to coast so you cannot see my flight out to sea and then the nice tracking back in.

Now for a week of rest and relaxation!!!

BTW as for KRIC, I went over to Million Air and they were really nice, et me hang out, watch TV, eat in the lunch room, and did not charge me any fees. I only took on 10 gal of fuel but they treated me like one of the corporate jets that they cater to.

After a night's sleep I feel like writing a bit more about the flight. Total time was 6.8hrs with 2 hours in IMC and 1 approach.

Departure was fine and the Chicago TRACON gave me the service I expected. This is not a cut down of them it is just that I have gotten used the routing and knew they would keep me low and away from my on course until pretty well south of their airspace. As soon as I got handed off to Chi-Center they asked if I wanted to go direct to Appleton VOR. That VOR is 250NM from where I was at and saved me a few miles so 'yeah'. After Appleton I am to land at Zannesville for fuel.

As I approached KZZV the WX is building and I can see what will soon be thunderstorm not too far to the north. It is getting bumpy and I am in and out of the tops of build up. Upon landing I check WX and sure enough T-stroms all around except in my direction of flight. I also still see the big stuff over NC so I decide to go to Richmond and recheck WX. I head out climbing up and through a lot of rough build up and the storm scope is showing stuff all to my left and behind within 50NM. Glad I got out of there!!

As I reach my cruise of 9000MSL I am a bit disapointed that my route over the mountains will not be as spectacular as it could be. All I see are clouds just below me, no beautiful ridges of green. The flight was pretty smooth and after a while I finally see the huge stuff by NC and am glad I am stopping. I was hoping to get an apporach into KRIC but the WX improved such that long before the IAF I got below the clouds.

You have already read the last leg report and I do not have anyting to add to that. This is the longest trip I have taken with my plane. My last long trip to Vicksburg, MS was in a rental and was the deciding factor to buy. The Warrior preformed great and while not as fast as it could be it certainly was fast enough. With the IFR GPS, storm scope, and autopilot the flight was not too much work.

The house my nieces picked out is really cool. It is like something out of MTV's the real worls. We are on the beach in Avon. The house has three levels, the bottom level is the game room. There is pacman, galaga, a pool table, darts, card table, etc. Plus a wet bar and big screen TV. The middle floor is all bedrooms and I have a jacuzzi just outside of my bedroom out on a deck. The third floor is the kitchen biig living room, TV, foreplace and has ocean views. Outside we have our own pool too!! This is going to be a great week!!

woodstock said:
have fun!!

Gonna try. At least I am just going to lay about. I have not done that on a vacation for decades. I am usually doing what you are doing, on the go all through out vacation seeing stuff.

Back