Stress

U

Unregistered

I'm currently in a job that has a high stress environment. It has come to a point that I can no longer handle it. I'm finding that I'm losing a lot of sleep, its affecting my personal life and my overall well-being.

Before anyone suggests to suck it up or find another job, let me tell you these are not really options here. Many good people in my company have fallen due to this as well. I'm also in an area where unemployment is extremely high and even minimum wage jobs are scarce.

My question is if I take a leave of absence due to stress and collect disability benefits even for a short time, will this have an affect for when applying to the airlines? My dream and passion is in aviation. I don't want to mess this up. I only have about a year to go before I can leave my current employer.

Like many of us here, I've been working since an early age. I'm not lazy and I have an excellent tolerance to pressure and stress. The expectations I face are not realistic and my job is threatened daily.

Anyways, I'm just looking for advice if anyone has been in this situation and if there is any recommendations.

Definitely not enough information, but generic advice to go with a generic problem (stress).

It's pseudo-religious hokus-pokus but there's a tiny little book called "The Four Agreements" that helped me get some balance and focus back after some problems with workaholic-ism and other goofy thoughts... they're all platitudes, but they're simple and short and get your attention.

#2 is the one most folks need to think about more, IMHO. It applies to your problem with "threats"... so someone is threatening you... so what? It's really their problem. You choose whether to react to it or not. Stress is truly self-induced. Once you realize that, and that it's not external coming from someone (a boss), or something (a job), and take responsibility for your REACTION to their manipulation tactics, things get a WHOLE lot better.

-----

1. Be Impeccable with your Word: Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don’t Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don’t Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

To collect disablity, I'm assuming some doctor or psychiatrist has to diagnose you with a stress condition? I'm going to guess that how you are diagnosed could make a difference on a future FAA medical.

That is some seriously good advice Nate gives.

I'd add, as a practical measure, that I have found significant physical exercise is a really good way to, if not do away with stress, at least make it considerably more tolerable. It also, of course, delivers other benefits.

-0-0-0-

Advice *I* should avail myself of!

I'd add, as a practical measure, that I have found significant physical exercise is a really good way to, if not do away with stress, at least make it considerably more tolerable. It also, of course, delivers other benefits.

-0-0-0-

+1 on exercise. It really helps a lot, especially cardio (I run regurlarly).

I drink heavily and womanize. I find that relieves a lot of stress too.

Thank you all for the supportive advice. Fortunately, I have a great significant other which helps tremendously. I've used a lot of the techniques Nate mentions and they are excellent.

Ive been established with my company for about 8ish years now and its just time for change. My company has been great to work for a number of years however, changes over the last couple years led to a negative impact on morale.

At this point in time, I don't want to go through the whole process of getting checked out by a phsycian, getting an actual "written in pen" diagnosis and then following through with a stress claim. I'd rather just do my time and move on at the right time. I know a lot can happen in a year and I'm trying to get my homework done should it escalate to that point. The last thing I could want is something detrimental to my medical or the hiring process for the airlines.

Thanks again guys...much appreciated

Thank you all for the supportive advice. Fortunately, I have a great significant other which helps tremendously. I've used a lot of the techniques Nate mentions and they are excellent.

Ive been established with my company for about 8ish years now and its just time for change. My company has been great to work for a number of years however, changes over the last couple years led to a negative impact on morale.

At this point in time, I don't want to go through the whole process of getting checked out by a phsycian, getting an actual "written in pen" diagnosis and then following through with a stress claim. I'd rather just do my time and move on at the right time. I know a lot can happen in a year and I'm trying to get my homework done should it escalate to that point. The last thing I could want is something detrimental to my medical or the hiring process for the airlines.

Is this a flying job creating this stress?

When I instructed in the Army we were quite familiar with stress and it's definition-the body's nonspecific response to a demand placed upon it. Nonspecific is right. What might cause someone to excel might very well cause someone else to crumble and give up.

If you feel you have no choice in the matter then you must find ways to cope. Yes, working out would be a good one. Definitely spend more time with family. Don't try and change what you have no control over just fight the battle from your little "fox hole." Do your best and if it's not good enough for your employer's expectations then screw them. Relax, easier said than done but try and find outlets after work that you enjoy (I fly RC planes). Bring up to your employer that you are experiencing stress and certain measures should be taken by them to reduce it.

There are a few flying jobs that even with rules and regulations some people still experience stress and quit. Early on in my job (helicopter EMS) I experienced some stress due to the challenge of single pilot flying and landing in small off airport LZs. Eventually I overcame this and look forward to the challenge. If it became incapacitating though I would've quit as some do in this line of work. If your are in a flying job you never want the level of stress to become so great it affects your safety.

My first flight instructor went on to fly Caravans for FedEX. He did that for about 6 months before he quit from the stress of long hours and single pilot IFR. Sometimes the only way to get around the stress is to remove the stressor and go on to something else. Try and use coping techniques but never let it get to the point of being so negative that your well being and those around is sacrificed. It's just not worth it. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
To collect disablity, I'm assuming some doctor or psychiatrist has to diagnose you with a stress condition? I'm going to guess that how you are diagnosed could make a difference on a future FAA medical.
That's the facts. In addition, if you collect a disability benefit, there's another box you'll have to check "yes" on the FAA medical application. So, this will all be in your record, and you will have to disclose it to any air carrier to which you apply for pilot employment. Whether it makes any difference or not there, I have no facts.

Your best bet is to wait for Bruce Chien to show up, probably later this evening. He works problem medical certification cases and has several airline pilot clients.

A lot of times stress is brought on by a feeling of not being in control. Just the act of taking the initiative to change your situation can put you back in control and have a very real effect.

Actually, I don't need to comment. With the exception of a wise-a__ comment from SacArrow, lots of good advice here.....

I remember when someone I worked with took a medical leave of absence due to stress. I was fairly angry, but kept it to myself. My opinion was that we're ALL under stress, just suck it up like the rest of us.

Fast forward a decade and I understood completely. Seriously high stress levels for long periods = something has to give. The people that don't understand just haven't been stressed to that point yet.

FWIW, the psychiatrists will tell you it is depression, not stress. Not that it makes any difference to your symptoms.

Light daily exercise, healthy food, quality sleep, and quality daylight were what worked for me. I got religious about when I went to bed at night and when I got out of bed in the morning. Made myself get outside for at least an hour/day (more if/when possible) for quality sunlight, fresh air, and to let my eyes focus on distance instead of the computer screen in my face all day. Remind yourself that everything in life is temporary - including the stress you are currently under.

Some skills that I picked up from that time of my life include the ability to shed stress like a duck. I can realize that my stress levels are building and within minutes dump it all and get back to work. And I'm a lot less tolerant now of people that feel obligated to dump their load of crap on my give a ****.

Cliffs Notes: Life gets better. :wink2:

I'm currently in a job that has a high stress environment. It has come to a point that I can no longer handle it. I'm finding that I'm losing a lot of sleep, its affecting my personal life and my overall well-being.

Before anyone suggests to suck it up or find another job, let me tell you these are not really options here. Many good people in my company have fallen due to this as well. I'm also in an area where unemployment is extremely high and even minimum wage jobs are scarce.

My question is if I take a leave of absence due to stress and collect disability benefits even for a short time, will this have an affect for when applying to the airlines? My dream and passion is in aviation. I don't want to mess this up. I only have about a year to go before I can leave my current employer.

Like many of us here, I've been working since an early age. I'm not lazy and I have an excellent tolerance to pressure and stress. The expectations I face are not realistic and my job is threatened daily.

Anyways, I'm just looking for advice if anyone has been in this situation and if there is any recommendations.

At this point in time, I don't want to go through the whole process of getting checked out by a physician, getting an actual "written in pen" diagnosis and then following through with a stress claim. I'd rather just do my time and move on at the right time. I know a lot can happen in a year and I'm trying to get my homework done should it escalate to that point. The last thing I could want is something detrimental to my medical or the hiring process for the airlines.

Sounds like you're in a situation similar to mine, except in my case it was "sevenish" years. First four years was great, then a new manager was hired and he was like a cancer on the company. Things continued to get worse. I finally quit last year and don't regret it at all.

I know this isn't the advice you're looking for, but I highly suggest you look for another job, even if it's out of your area. If you get the right company, you won't regret it.

Look... I AM going to say, start figuring out your exit strategy.

If you have marketable skills, they can always be translated into self-employment.

I'm not saying quit tomorrow, but I am suggesting you look at something other than just "local full-time job". There are SO many options out there!

Even in a poor job market, it's an awful lot easier to find another good quality job if you're not in a hurry. I did it some years ago in a very challenging job market by simply polishing my resume and giving it to a couple head-hunters, and told them it was time for a change. I then proceeded to ignore the problem and a couple months later got a call for an interview, resulting in my new career.

Good companies are always looking for good people - and looking out for bad people. If you're a quality employee and can show it on paper in some fashion, the market will eventually find you.

I am dieting religiously and have totally stopped eating in church.

-0-0-0-

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back