Stratux vs

Slackyhacky

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
I need to get an external GPS/ADS-B IN.

Stratux website says that AHRS is in development.

If you look at TheSquawkShoppe's build, it does seem to indicate it has AHRS. I'm not sure what chipset they add to give solid-state gyroscope.

Questions:

1. Has anyone used Stratux with an additional chipset that includes AHRS? How does it work?
2. The iLevel with the solor panel looks really really cool. However, for $750 dollars (difference in prices), I could buy a really cool external battery and external solar battery pack. What advantage does a more expensive GPS/ADS-B IN system have over the stratux based on the Rasberry PI computer? Is compatiblity and issue with EFBs?

The AHRS is not working yet. I would not count on it working reliably for a while. Hard to say no to $120 adsb box though. I built one and use it. It works. I have tested on foreflight and with avair on android. With avair use port 4000.
For vfr, I'd say you don't need the AHRS. If you have a vac failure you can look out the window. IFR... hmmm, even cheapo me would splurge for the read deal at this point in time. Fast forward a year and all things might change.

The stratux is quite cool and has the advantage that it connects to all EFBs and also it runs on a standard cell phone battery pack booster or charger.

I have dual band Stratux, don't need ahrs. Works great!

The AHRS is not working yet. I would not count on it working reliably for a while. Hard to say no to $120 adsb box though. I built one and use it. It works. I have tested on foreflight and with avair on android. With avair use port 4000.
For vfr, I'd say you don't need the AHRS. If you have a vac failure you can look out the window. IFR... hmmm, even cheapo me would splurge for the read deal at this point in time. Fast forward a year and all things might change.

The stratux is quite cool and has the advantage that it connects to all EFBs and also it runs on a standard cell phone battery pack booster or charger.
How does the stratux gps perform compared to the stock android gps(mine is terrible)? For example if I record my flight path with my android tablet or cell phone(in Avare) I get 100ft sawtooth patterns in my altitude profile, and lots of dropouts.(a 360 becomes a D shape).

I have the AHRS but only use it as a fun demo to people who ask about it - would not bet my life on it - accelerated turns is it's biggest issue that the developers dont seem to be able to overcome.

The GPS side of the same chip, its been rock solid for me on iOS, picks up multiple sats quickly and has WAAS which the ipad built in doesn't

Back