Stratus Detecting Ownship ADS-B without ADS-B Out

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
I noticed today while using the Stratus S2 that it is detecting ADS-B out. I first noticed after I saw the ghost traffic icon following us -200 low.

I checked the Ownship under settings and noticed that all the fields were populated. I did notice that the source kept flipping between 978 and 1090 TIS-B. During these flips the ghost icon would drop off and not reappear for several minutes. The aircraft doesn't have a ADS-B transponder just a GTX 327.

Is the Stratus picking up the mode C or our own position being rebroadcast by the TIS-B service?

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Google is your friend. LOL

ForeFlight will use the TIS-B data of your aircraft as if it's your ADS-B Out. So it will populate the Ownship fields because it confuses "your" ATC TIS-B target as being from you. This happens after the program notices a TIS-B target floating within your immediate area.

Basically there was a ADS-B Out plane nearby and the Stratus is picking up on the TIS-B broadcast.

Once I put in ADSB out,stopped getting the ghost shadow,on the stratus.

I had a UAT and still saw ghosting. It's an FAA known issue.

I only see ghosting in my UAT out equipped aircraft if I turn my transponder off then back on.. it will go away in about 2 seconds..

I get the shadow with "Statux" and even get it with my Zaon once in a while.

Is the Stratus picking up the mode C or our own position being rebroadcast by the TIS-B service?

With an aircraft not equipped with ADS-B Out, it is a TISB for a client who is lighting you up. During the initial 30 seconds +/- you are shown as a target. Eventually, when ownship status is detected from the TISB data, the target display is suppressed. Each time you initially fly into someone's puck, this is likely to happen. During the encounter with the client's hockey puck, as long as your TISB remains detected as own ship, its value for the pressure altitude is used to provide an apples to apples altitude comparison with other aircraft. Once the TISB goes away as you separate vertically or laterally from the client, the ownship status will also disappear. The next time you encounter a client, the system goes thru the same process. You can think of the ghost as an indication you are being lit up and as long as own ship is still detected tells you if you are still lit up. In most flight situations, you won't see own ship very much. With ADS-B Out, you will see ownship within about 6 seconds of the ADS-B Out being active, typically on the ground. Since ADS-B Out continuously updates once per second, you should remain in the state of ownship being continuously detected.

Back