Stratus 3 running on ForeFlight and garmin pilot simultaneously

Lowe Approach

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Lowe Approach
Can the stratus 3 run on both apps at the same time. I have an iPad running ForeFlight but think I may add a garmin area 760 to the setup for a second view.

Do I run into any issues running both on a single stratus 3? Should I consider getting a garmin gdl 50 to send data to the garmin equipment? Am I making any compromises by not having a gdl 50?

Also how are folks yoke mounting a garmin gps like a 760 but still getting synthetic vision? Doesn’t the yoke movement mess with the gps in the unit and show banks as unusual on the display?

thanks in advance.

The Stratus will run on multiple tablets at one time. The synthetic vision is derived from the position of the Stratus, not the tablet.

All the stratus does is output data. So whether to 1 or 2 or 5 really isn't a problem. As a matter of fact the manual for a Stratus 3i just says "Multiple devices in the cockpit may be connected to the receiver at the same time." So no real limits on devices it can stream data to.

What is done w/ the data is up to your app. Even synthetic vision is not from the stratus itself, but implemented by ForeFlight or Garmin or etc, based on the data received.

Can the stratus 3 run on both apps at the same time. I have an iPad running ForeFlight but think I may add a garmin area 760 to the setup for a second view.

Do I run into any issues running both on a single stratus 3? Should I consider getting a garmin gdl 50 to send data to the garmin equipment? Am I making any compromises by not having a gdl 50?

Also how are folks yoke mounting a garmin gps like a 760 but still getting synthetic vision? Doesn’t the yoke movement mess with the gps in the unit and show banks as unusual on the display?

thanks in advance.

You may run into one issue. Foreflight will attempt to switch the Stratus3 to its proprietary data format. Once it is switched to the proprietary format, Garmin won't be able to receive the data. You need the Stratus Horizon app to switch it back. This is a big pain in the rear and I have no idea why Stratus and Foreflight decided this was a great idea. If you are running Android, I wrote an app that will switch the Stratus3 back to the open-GDL format.

If you’re using a Garmin Aera GPS unit then best to have a Garmin GDL50 or GDL52 if you want XM weather and music. Negatives with the Garmin GDL is it’s footprint is kind of weird, it only allows up to two connections at the same time, and it does not have a carbon monoxide detector. Surprised they didn’t try to copy Sentry and add one as that’s actually useful. I find that the Sentry is a bit funky with the attitude indications however. So there is no perfect solution.

Also sad that Garmin aera wont support Sentry as adsb-in.

Back