Strange (to me) IFR day...

TomRV4

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tom
I'm a fairly new Instrument rated pilot. Two things happened to me today that I haven't experienced before, and I'm looking for input from the group...

I flew a round trip from 5C1 (San Antonio area) to KUTS (Huntsville TX). The outbound flight was pretty normal until landing. IFR for all but 20 min or so (at cruise altitude). Shot the GPS 18 approach and broke out about 1000 AGL. The Unicom guy warned of workers and equipment near the runway, but said they'd be clear.

No problema normally, but on short final a significant crosswind and big time wind shear at 200agl had me using lots of control input, throttle jockeying, and slewing around all over the place. I was comfortable with that, but i think i saw those workers which (of course) were right at the approach end of the runway on the west side, dropping to their knees either praying or shooting the birdie at me...I couldn't tell which...

My questions come from the return trip. I filed direct as usual, and fully expected something other than that when the computer generated routing got spit out. Sure enough, when I got the text message from FlightAware, here was the routing...

KUTS CWK101023 CWK V17 SAT 5C1

Well that was a first for me. The CWK10123 threw me. I never received that type of clearance during my training or since, nor did my CFII ever mention anything like it.

I punched it in to Foreflight and sure enough..101 radial at 23 miles off the Centex VOR...

I now know what the numbers in the routing meant, but still don't understand the reasoning for it...

Questions;

1) Why would that route be assigned? (No MOA's, restricted or TFR's that I know of two deviate around)
2) More importantly, how the heck would I program that into the flight plan on my GNS430?!

I was going to ask (question 1 only!) when I called for my clearance, but guess what...I was cleared "as filed"! That's the first time I've ever been given direct on my originally filed plan, and the first time FlightAware has been 'wrong'. I was so dumbfounded I forgot to ask my question! (But of course I had two amendments in flight..."advise when you're ready to copy")

Then...about halfway into the flight at my cruise altitude of 8,000', Houston Center, who I had checked in with 10 minutes earlier (with no change in my originally assigned squawk) called and asked me to ident. I did, and a few seconds later he asked me to "squawk ident every 45 seconds until I hand you off to Austin approach". I did that twice; he thanked me and said something like "that worked great" and handed me off. He was fairly busy, so I didn't have a chance to ask WTF?

Question;

1) WTF?

Landed at 5C1 after the GPS 17 approach in actual. I just LOVE my instrument rating!! But obviously LOTS to learn still!

Thanks,
Tom

Re the identing, IANATC but my guess is you were a "point-out" from him to Austin approach - i.e. you were in TRACON airspace but still talking to ARTCC, and for some reason he was having trouble with the automation that usually assists with that. Or something vaguely along those lines.

My questions come from the return trip. I filed direct as usual, and fully expected something other than that when the computer generated routing got spit out. Sure enough, when I got the text message from FlightAware, here was the routing...

KUTS CWK101023 CWK V17 SAT 5C1

2) More importantly, how the heck would I program that into the flight plan on my GNS430?!

I was going to ask (question 1 only!) when I called for my clearance, but guess what...I was cleared "as filed"! That's the first time I've ever been given direct on my originally filed plan, and the first time FlightAware has been 'wrong'. I was so dumbfounded I forgot to ask my question! (But of course I had two amendments in flight..."advise when you're ready to copy")
I had difficulty with a recent clearance that I posted here. I got a lot of good help on how to handle a clearance to a radial intersection that didn't have a name. You may find some detailed help in this thread:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58148

A question for you. I use Flightaware to document flights after the fact but I didn't know that clearances could be viewed there. How do use it to do that?

A question for you. I use Flightaware to document flights after the fact but I didn't know that clearances could be viewed there. How do use it to do that?

Get an account and sign up for alerts for your tail number. You'll get the route emailed or texted to you. You'll also know if someone is filing IFR flight plans under your tail number, too.

Otherwise, before calling ATC to pick up your clearance, go on to Flightaware and you should see e Flightplan you filed. Just look at the routing listed there.

Sometimes, as in the case of the OP, you'll get something totally different, but usually what's listed in FA is what the controller will give me.

Depends where in the country you are. I guarantee if I file something other than the route I KNOW will be the issued route in the NE, DUATS will take it, fltplan.com will parrot it back but when I call CD I'll get the "That's not going to work, got your pencil ready?" response.

Get an account and sign up for alerts for your tail number. You'll get the route emailed or texted to you. You'll also know if someone is filing IFR flight plans under your tail number, too.

Otherwise, before calling ATC to pick up your clearance, go on to Flightaware and you should see e Flightplan you filed. Just look at the routing listed there.

Sometimes, as in the case of the OP, you'll get something totally different, but usually what's listed in FA is what the controller will give me.
I've had an account for some time but didn't know an alert on my tail would include my clearance. Done. Thanks.

Back