Strange email oddity

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
So, I just got an email from a store chain I get emails from and the time stamp on it is 8:25AM today and now it is 12:57pm. I realize it is a bulk email most likely, but why am I just now getting it. I have seen this happen before with other emails from different places or people. Is it because I am on gmail? Strange. Usually email is fairly quick.

David

Delayed sending on their server, or delays between servers, or the time on their server is off. When my server and my desktop aren't time synched, I often get emails that arrive 'before' they were sent.

Last edited:
Most likely a delay in their e-mail infrastructure somewhere or a delay in your e-mail infrastructure. Happens all the time.

Mail queues start piling up somewhere, an IT guy gets a page, then he gets to figure out how the hell to deliver all the mail when his servers are already overloaded and behind.

I once fixed the email stuff that was intended to send automated alerts for system outages at a company and forgot to check the queue. We got 1000+ alerts that were over a year old over the course of the next few minutes. Should'a seen how many people completely panicked who couldn't read date/time stamps. Was also a pretty funny meeting topic later pointing out that the alerts hasn't worked for over a year.

There's a lot of moving parts to various systems. Tuesday morning we went to balance the ATMs and found one down and 3 others that had an opening balance in excess of $5 mil!

After everyone calmed down the vendor admitted it had pushed a new load the night before (unannounced) and things obviously didn't go as planned.

There's a lot of moving parts to various systems. Tuesday morning we went to balance the ATMs and found one down and 3 others that had an opening balance in excess of $5 mil!

After everyone calmed down the vendor admitted it had pushed a new load the night before (unannounced) and things obviously didn't go as planned.

Did you get to keep the $5mil? :yesnod:

David

Some times I'll get an 'unread mail' notification that I have to scan back a couple of days for.

Back