Straight Tail Cessna

The_Only_BigBird

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cole
So I got my hand on a 1957 172 Cessna. What is everybody's opinion on the old straight tails? A lot of people have told me it makes for a good tail dragger.

172s never had jackscrew trim. Straight tail 182s did, and they convert nicely to taildragging. I wouldn’t convert a 172 myself. They’re great planes, but not great taildraggers. I sold a Hawk XP to buy a 180 for that reason, so I do have some perspective.

So I got my hand on a 1957 172 Cessna. What is everybody's opinion on the old straight tails? A lot of people have told me it makes for a good tail dragger.
Those are the best, nosewheel or taildragger. If you do the conversion, just make sure they do it right. A bad conversion that doesn't track straight isn't doing anyone a favor. Wish I'd never sold my '57...

Personally, I'd leave it alone.

Last edited:
Straight tail 172s are great airplanes. I don't know if I'd spend the money converting it to a tailwheel, just to drive up the insurance and pilot requirements. If you want a taildragger, I'd just buy a taildragger.

I like them, while they look great as taildraggers it doesn't really make sense to do so. Better off buying one already converted or just buying a 170. That said I do like the looks of a straight tail 172 TD better than the 170. They aren't very good performers but Airworx is working on a 180hp STC for the O300 that would be a game changer if approved. I've seen a few TD converted ones lately in the 55-65k range which is a bargain compared to what B model 170's tend to bring. You can get straight 170's or 170A's for around the same or less money but they aren't as good as a 172.

I owned a 57 C-172 for several years. Wonderful first airplane. It had a STOL kit, and the low-speed performance was incredible.

Back