Storm Pics

Michael

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
CapeCodMichael
The Arizona Monsoons are in full swing. I took some pictures Saturday that turned out pretty good. Thought Id share with you all.
On an aviation related note: Angelina Jolie and Brad pitt, flew into Havasu in Jolies Cirrus Monday. Rumers are that she just bought a house here. wooohooo, maybe she will let me use a corner of her hanger once she gets settled in :)

Nice pics!

Tell Angie that I lost her phone number that she gave me a few years ago and I need her current number. I know she's missing me. She's just seeing Brad 'cause he looks so much like me and she's wondering why I haven't called. :D

Wow! Awesome pictures Michael. Post some Angelina shots when you get them...uhm, I mean of the Cirrus of course ;)

Michael said:
The Arizona Monsoons are in full swing. I took some pictures Saturday that turned out pretty good. Thought Id share with you all.
Wow!!! Beautiful Michael. Didn't know you Arizona folks had mamma clouds, too.

Diana said:
Wow!!! Beautiful Michael. Didn't know you Arizona folks had mamma clouds, too.
Silly woman.

We got three inches of rain in about 90 minutes last night. Roads flooded at about 8-10 inches in the bad spots. I passed six or seven stranded idiots...er...drivers in low cars going through flooded roads. If it hadn't been 10pm and raining, I'd have considered stopping but my F250 kept plowing through it all, wanting to get home.

This is NORMAL during this time of year. More expected this weekend.

Brian Austin said:
Silly woman.

We got three inches of rain in about 90 minutes last night. Roads flooded at about 8-10 inches in the bad spots. I passed six or seven stranded idiots...er...drivers in low cars going through flooded roads. If it hadn't been 10pm and raining, I'd have considered stopping but my F250 kept plowing through it all, wanting to get home.

This is NORMAL during this time of year. More expected this weekend.
OH, so it's not always a DRY heat? ;)

its weird, we usually get Monsoon about the same time as y'all. We're getting T-Storms, and a bit of rain, but nothing crazy....yet.

I hope it stays that way. We need the rain really badly, but I'll pass on it if it means good flying weather.

Diana said:
OH, so it's not always a DRY heat? ;)
Tonight it feels like Southern Missouri out there. Blah.

Humidity has been pretty high lately. And no, it's not always a dry heat after monsoons start.

Great pictures! There is a lot of color and depth to those pictures...did you use any kind of filters/photoshop hue layers?

Iceman said:
Great pictures! There is a lot of color and depth to those pictures...did you use any kind of filters/photoshop hue layers?

Negative. just a digital camera. you should have seen it in person. the pics dont do the live view justice.

Michael

And now for the obvious, drum roll please. [Said in a Ben Stiller voice] AZ has lighthouses?

Yeah, first the 'Zonians get baked, then steamed. What's next, sauteed?

Really nice pics, Michael.

Richard said:
And now for the obvious, drum roll please. [Said in a Ben Stiller voice] AZ has lighthouses?

LOL, yea, on Lake Havasu they have a few lighthouses. I guess its because all the californians that come here dont know how to drive a boat.

Richard. I wanted to ask you about that first lighthouse pic. There are some clouds that look like they are rounded (egg shaped) at the base. Do you know what those are called and what kind weather they are associated with?

Michael said:
LOL, yea, on Lake Havasu they have a few lighthouses. I guess its because all the californians that come here dont know how to drive a boat.

Richard. I wanted to ask you about that first lighthouse pic. There are some clouds that look like they are rounded (egg shaped) at the base. Do you know what those are called and what kind weather they are associated with?

Cumulus mammatus. Mammatus of Death. Or mamma, as Diana said. I would suggest not flying under them as they are always associated with Cb buildup(what goes up must come down). Mammatus are visible indicators of the usually invisible prior updrafts and moist, unstable air.

So there is convection in the area but the thing is, that convection is downward and that is very hazardous. It is downward because the moist air of the Cb buildup in the mature stage has spilled over to adjacent drier air. It can and has been done that small planes fly under these but to do so would probably make the FAA's case for enforcement action very easy.

I haven't done this but it would be a good bet to see if the issuance of WST coincides with mammatus clouds.

Richard said:
It can and has been done that small planes fly under these but to do so would probably make the FAA's case for enforcement action very easy.

enforcement action? Is there a FAR related to flying under clouds that i missed? I dont know too many folks that would want to fly anywhere near that cloud. it looks like the devil. But all common sense aside, I was not aware the FAA could take action against you for flying under any type of cloud you wanted to.

Michael

Michael said:
enforcement action? Is there a FAR related to flying under clouds that i missed? I dont know too many folks that would want to fly anywhere near that cloud. it looks like the devil. But all common sense aside, I was not aware the FAA could take action against you for flying under any type of cloud you wanted to.
Michael

No FAR for not flying under a cloud, per se. In the event of an incident or accident, expect the book to hit you in the hed because this type cloud is a very visible sign of, Beware-Here lies dangerous waters.

As far as the appearance of the cloud, I keep waiting to hear about the inquisitive pilot who flew into them because he was so fixated on their oft beautiful shape. Freud would have a field day with that one.

EDIT: I am reminded of a flight over the west TX hills. Transiting west to east the mamma clouds started out small and became progressive larger. This presented the illusion that one was flying ever closer to the clouds. The danger would be being transfixed, eyes outside, w/o cross reference to instruments and inadvertently descending. Carried far enough one could descend into terrain. The clouds are wonderous to observe but like the Sirens should be avoided.

Last edited:
Michael said:

Hey, I resemble that remark. :D Although in 10 years on Lake Havasu I havent run into anything.

greg

P.S. I think there are some commas missing above, could someone fix that for me. :D

Brian Austin said:
Tonight it feels like Southern Missouri out there. Blah.

Humidity has been pretty high lately. And no, it's not always a dry heat after monsoons start.

The good news is it drops from 120 degrees down to 105. :)

greg

river_rat said:
Hey, I resemble that remark. :D Although in 10 years on Lake Havasu I havent run into anything.

greg

P.S. I think there are some commas missing above, could someone fix that for me. :D

They're all there, just in the wrong places. I'll trade you for, a, couple captial letters, though.

Back