STOP and goes?

I did call the FSDO, because I did not think that he was operating in a safe manner.
Thanks for doing this. Next time make sure you are talking to a member of the FAAST team at the FSDO, as they are trained to deal with people with an attitude, and counsel them on things relating to safety.

-Skip

I've been thinking about this scenario and it seems to me that the guy sitting on the runway is also creating a hazard if you elect to go around. Suppose while you are climbing past, nose high, he suddenly decides to finally take off and impacts from below. You certainly would need to be sure to side-step quite some distance if you do execute a go-around.

...But again the Instuctor said he does this all the time so it was not the lack of me not using my radio. I think his a jerk plain and simple like most of you saying.

It's a lightly used field where he works for the resident FBO and he's giving flight instruction and dammit he owns the whole frickking airport for as long as he wants and don't you make any noise because I'M INSTRUCTING MY STUDENT AND HOW DARE YOU INTERRUPT?!

Dat about it?

I've been thinking about this scenario and it seems to me that the guy sitting on the runway is also creating a hazard if you elect to go around. Suppose while you are climbing past, nose high, he suddenly decides to finally take off and impacts from below. You certainly would need to be sure to side-step quite some distance if you do execute a go-around.
That's why the FAA wants you to start the go-around early enough that such a thing can't happen, and side-stepping that much isn't a good option low and slow. Don't press the approach when someone is still on the runway, even though you have right of way! Once you see the situation developing, start the go-around and let the jerk do what he does.

When I confronted the instructor after the incident I cited FAR 91.113 and also AIM 4-3-20 that says

The following procedures should be followed after landing and reaching taxi speed.
a. Exit the runway without delay at the first available taxiway or on a taxiway as instructed by ATC.
b.taxi clear of the runway unless otherwise directed by ATC. In the absence of ATC instructions the pilot is expected to taxi clear of the landing runway by clearing the hold position marking associated with the landing runway even if that requires the aircraft to protrude into or cross another taxiway or ramp area.

The instructor smugly replied that this only applies to controlled airports. What total nonsense. There was no reasoning with this guy and I was very tempted to explain to him in more physical terms just how much I disliked the unsafe manner of his operations.
I also agreed with AuntPeggy that he was a hazard to a pilot doing a go around if he than decided to take off. Again he found no reason to think that he should conduct himself in a safer and more considerate manner. A most unplesent person.

I think gingledon handled it well. He attempted to reason with the person over an unsafe practice, and when that failed, turned the matter over to someone who can make that person listen.

When I confronted the instructor after the incident I cited FAR 91.113 and also AIM 4-3-20 that says

The following procedures should be followed after landing and reaching taxi speed.
a. Exit the runway without delay at the first available taxiway or on a taxiway as instructed by ATC.
b.taxi clear of the runway unless otherwise directed by ATC. In the absence of ATC instructions the pilot is expected to taxi clear of the landing runway by clearing the hold position marking associated with the landing runway even if that requires the aircraft to protrude into or cross another taxiway or ramp area.

The instructor smugly replied that this only applies to controlled airports. What total nonsense. There was no reasoning with this guy and I was very tempted to explain to him in more physical terms just how much I disliked the unsafe manner of his operations.
I also agreed with AuntPeggy that he was a hazard to a pilot doing a go around if he than decided to take off. Again he found no reason to think that he should conduct himself in a safer and more considerate manner. A most unplesent person.

I think gingledon handled it well. He attempted to reason with the person over an unsafe practice, and when that failed, turned the matter over to someone who can make that person listen.
+1
Sadly, it is as dangerous for the perpetrator as the OP.

;)Thanks for all your input. I think at this point we gave this Instructor a public lashing. I think a lot of you would be surprised that he is also a check ride examiner. So when Greg talked with this guy at FSDO he was very interested in talking to him about this practice. I am sure now he got the message what he is doing is a hazard and very inconsiderate to other pilots flying in the pattern with him.

Last edited:
;)Thanks for all for you input. I think at this point we gave this Instructor a public lashing. I think a lot of you would be surprised that he is also a check ride examiner. So when Greg talked with this guy at FSDO he was very interested in talking to him about this practice. I am sure now he got the message what he is doing is a hazard and very inconsiderate to other pilots flying in the pattern with him.
"Shocked" and "dismayed' would convey my feeling a little more accurately than "surprised."
I'm tempted to ask you to name him so it would truly be a public lashing, but won't give in to that temptation.

After a discussion on the Red Board (I think?? I don't have access to it anymore), I went out and got night current by logging 3 landings at KABQ in .3 hours.

3 Stop and Goes, without a single pattern. Good stuff.

Man, I coulda sworn... Didn't that reg used to say "each involving a flight in the traffic pattern" for the landings? :dunno:

Man, I coulda sworn... Didn't that reg used to say "each involving a flight in the traffic pattern" for the landings? :dunno:

Without looking it up, I want to say that is for taildragger currency and experience requirements for certificates.

But its certainly not a requirement for night flight.

Without looking it up, I want to say that is for taildragger currency and experience requirements for certificates.

But its certainly not a requirement for night flight.

No, I went and looked after I saw your post. I could have SWORN that it was impossible to get current by "bouncing" down a long runway before. :dunno:

That's what I thought, but I looked for it and couldn't find it in the regs. Certainly should be, though.

The only restriction in a G-V is ground spoilers cannot be auto-activated.
Back many years ago we use to take an empty B727 out to Dade Collier in the everglades to do aircraft training. Most of the patterns were land and taxi back but half of them we did touch and goes, which can be exciting in a 727 to say the least.

Has anyone heard of the practice of Stop and Goes?

I was flying in the pattern in my Gyro along side a Instructor and his student in a Gobosh and he was doing what he said on the radio " Stop and goes" He would land and stop for a prolonged period of time like 2-3 minutes then set up for what ever or he was just talking with his student right in the middle of the runway then take off again.

Stop-and-goes have been around for ages, but two to three minutes between "stop" and "go" is excessive.

I did stop and goes when I was learning how to do short field take off and landings. I would land and stop by the first taxiway, clean up the A/C and then do a short field take off...really just adding full power with the brakes being held and then climb out...haven't done one since private pilot training.

Back