Stinson L-5

j1b3h0

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Doug
Last week, I got a chance to fly a friend's Stinson L-5. I had flown it before, but only from the back seat. From the front seat it's much different. Good different.

For those unfamiliar, the L-5 is Stinson/Vultee's answer to the (WWII) military request for a utility/liason airplane with STOL and rough field capability. It's very Champ-like in appearance but bigger. It looks like so many ponderous old tail draggers - one might naturally assume that it flies like a Champ...and, from the back seat, it's true. Its design is a triumph of utility over, well, everthing else...aesthetics, comfort, exit/entry ease, noise, speed, etc. It sports a Lycoming 0-435 (predecessor to the 0-540) with 190hp and a wooden prop. Climb aboard, and when I say climb, I mean that quite literally - there are no steps, handholds or any obvious contrivences to help you get in it, you just have to find some appropriate tube, chair or whatever to hoist your carcass in there. Once seated you can feast your eyes on an impressive array of olive drab chromolly fuselage tubing, hoses, control cables, seat belts, a flare gun, a vintage E-6B, a first-aid kit, a battery or starter relay and a very practical intrument panel. Did I mention that there is a fair amount of plexiglass? Note also the litter in the back, to carry the wounded out of harm's way. Doors with windows that open cub-like, for those especially warm days. Utility everywhere you look.

But, flying from the front seat, it's as though it's a completely different airplane. The stick is about 6 inches longer and you quickly learn all the flight controls are silky ball bearing smooth. The trim, beneath the throttle quadrant, is a little winder affair, like a window regulator, but smaller. There is another crank on the overhead, used to droop the ailerons up to 15 degrees, for short fields. The flap lever you'll find beside the Captain's seat, moves up and down like you'd expect, but positions in a notch athwartships for the 4 position flaps.

After doing some pattern work at KHWD, and lunch in Princeton, ostensibly to give my friend some wheel landing pointers, I got to fly the airplane from Half Moon Bay to Hayward from the front seat. Takeoff is usually done (I'm told) with 1 notch of flaps. I got rolling a bit before lifted the tail, and first thing you know, we were airborne. The controls were really light and sweet. I mean thumb-and-fingers light. Big pitch change with flap retraction. From the back seat, it seems like every lumbering old airplane, (like a Cessna 170) not bad just sort of ordinary. But from the front seat, though, with its much longer stick, it flies like a, well, it's lighter and much more responsive than a Stearman, particularly the ailerons, which feel sort of like a Bellanca Cruiseairs'. Feels like a little fighter and completely belies its Champ-like looks. It slips well, though I can't imagine ever needing to, what with a power-off sink rate like that of a Pitts (but much slower airspeed). With full flaps and ailerons drooped, and the power back to idle, someone skilled could probably approach at 1000ft until 3/4 mile final...and land on the numbers! And with its low wing loading and flaps/ailrerons extended, dragging it in, one could easily three point it, and with moderate braking, stop in I dunno, 300ft. It wheel lands very sweetly - much easier than a Citabria. Can't remember when I flew an airplane that was so different from back to front seat. I really liked it. If you ever get a chance to fly one of these old military birds, don't turn it down. And Thanks to my friend, Ken for letting my drive!

Lucky SOB!! I would love to fly an L-5. Any pictures?

Dad owned 1/4 of an L-16 years ago. Wish he still had it.

Sounds nice! Never flew one, but it's on my list (only the L-3, L-4 and L-19 so far).

Only others I've flown are the L-16 and L-20. L-5 is the nicest flying of the bunch, followed by the Beaver (L-20).

To the OP, was this the L-5 based at Scheuville?

I owned a 1/2 share in a OY-2 (USMC designation of the Consolidated Vultee L-5). It is basically the same as an L-5E.

It's an honest airplane, no surprises. It does exactly what you tell it and with full authority. Dam thing marches around the ramp like a wayward pitbull. The only problem was the wrong springs on the Scott 3200 tailwheel...wait, that was a symptom of an idiot partner. One other thing, a 6' tall person has their knees in their chest when sitting in the back seat.

10 and 100 is all you need to know. 10 gph no matter what you do (470R) and 100 for cruise, maneuvering, climb, descent.

Jim Gray started the owner's club. He's prolly one of the most knowledgeable other than the guys who actually worked on them out of the shipping container. (My A&P was charged with putting them together in New Guinea. He was also the youngest SSgt in USMC history but that's another story.)

http://www.sentinelclub.org/

Last edited:
Yeah, if I could just figure out how to post them...

Two ways.

If they are on your computer click on the paper clip thing, browse, find the file, then upload. They show up as a "thumbnail".

If they are somewhere like Picassa or..., the easiest thing to do is post a link to the directory, otherewise you have to dink around a bit to get the URL for the picture itself and then you click on the box with a couple triangles and a circle (I assume it's supposed to be mountians and the sun?) and paste in the URL for the picture.

If you uploaded from your computer, you can get fancy and "preview post" copy the link for the attachment, and click on the box with the triangles. Then you can embed the full size picture in with the text.

Yeah, Stinson L-5's are fun, aren't they! The only real thing is to please, please, please baby that engine as it's becoming harder and harder to get parts for them.

I get to fly our squadron's bird and it is certainly fun. This was on the way to this year's Wings Over Houston event.

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

Ryan

nice! did it have a towhook?
Ours used to, and I think still has some of the plumbing for it, but no longer has the full setup.
One other thing. Flying the L-5 everything in the cockpit is a bit overbuilt - which is nice. The stick, compared to a Taylorcraft or a Champ feels like you have a tractor implement in your hand. It's slightly bigger and feels beefier.

Ryan

Nice! I follow the L-5 group on Yahoo because it's the only Stinson-related group I could find anywhere - I have this fantasy that someday I'll be able to track down my great-grandfather's Stinson 105, NC26256.

web.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great pics! I like the old photos as the pilots are often wearing a jacket and tie. Plus often smoking also!

Question: Do all Stinsons have sweet controls like the L-5?

Okay, I'll try uploading the pics...

Attachments

• Ken's L-5 008.JPG
    Ken's L-5 008.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • Ken's L-5 009.JPG
    Ken's L-5 009.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
IIRC, that's Ken and his partner's aircraft based at Scheuville. IIRC, they completed their restoration circa 2004-5. They are true craftsmen. I have seen that plane. I contacted them for some advice on my desired resto of the OY-2. Because of a recalitrant partner (even though I said I would fund the entire project) and Ken's slow response, I moved on to something else.

Doug, that is a fabulous speciman. Yes, you suck. :)

The airplane is based @ Hayward. And yes, it's immaculate. Ken's a real stickler for detail. Owns the airplane alone I think. He was a student of mine some 35 years ago, and remains a good friend.

Back