Stick shift or auto?

Stick Shift or Auto?

• Total voters
Motorcycles + twisties + mountains + automatic gear change = I'm not going there, no way, no how. There are too many things to run into..or off of when some nitwit designers idea of correct timing to change gears makes you go wide or slides the rear tire.
The only automatic motorcycle I've ever road was a CB750A (HondaMatic). If I remember correctly, you still had to manually select one of two gears, LOW or HIGH. There was no clutch though. I don't think it really shifted at all. Not the most powerful setup but was functional and kind of fun around town.

I miss my Miata. It was just impractical in the land of sleet and ice. Taught my youngest to manage a stick in it- lots of crowhopping.....

You can't have mine, either!

The only automatics I drive is when I have to rent.
My kids also drive sticks -- or manuals (I used to have a Corona with 3-on-the-column -- close enough)

And I learned of the Miata's aversion to ice and snow during last year's blizzard in Denver -- just 1/4 mile from the hotel, and ....

Last edited:
The only automatic motorcycle I've ever road was a CB750A (HondaMatic).

Honda was able to put a DCT on this year's VFR 1200 (motorcycle). They have both automatic and manual shifting modes.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4LmL_QzpSU

I've done manual transmission cars for quite some time now (and motorcycles too). My current is a Honda S2000, a 2 seat convertible roadster. A proper roadster should be manual.

I've never had problems with manual transmissions in LA Stop-And-Go traffic. But then all my cars have had light clutches and torque appropriate to the weight of the vehicle. I also know how to slip the clutch without killing it. I've yet to have to replace a clutch.

I can see how it would be a problem with heavy clutches, or wimpy motors, though.

--Carlos V.

My kids also drive sticks -- or manuals (I used to have a Corona with 3-on-the-column -- close enough)

And I learned of the Miata's aversion to ice and snow during last year's blizzard in Denver -- just 1/4 mile from the hotel, and ....

Hmm, I put Blizzaks on my Miata and it was fine on the snow. Now it sucks when there's deep unpacked snow because there's so little clearance, but on a packed snow/ice road it did as well as any other RWD car I've ever had.

I personnally think EVERONE should know how to drive Stick. I am going to teach all the kids how to drive a stick .
When asked why they need to learn i always tell them " what if you are with a friend and they become ill and need to go to the hospital and their car is stick, You need to know how to drive it."

I used to drive a stick Miata too. Most fun car I ever owned. I lived in Alabama in those days and ice really wasn't an issue.

We have:

A full automatic (Sienna 5sp auto)
A faux manual (BMW530i 5sp steptronic)
A manual (Jeep Wrangler 6 (!)sp manual)

We cover all the options (well, except a CVT I suppose)

My car in high school was a VW Super Beetle semi-automatic. 3 speed manual shifter but no clutch. Just lift off the accelerator and shift. It must have made sense to the Germans ("Ja, ve hear dat Amerikans enchoy der aowtomatic transimissions. Ve shud make someting like dat, but as ve all know, ze only vay to shift is to do so mit der hand, so ve should get rid of das clutch but keep ze shifter. Zat is guaranteet to appeal to Amerikan drivers.)

I used to drive a stick Miata too. Most fun car I ever owned. I lived in Alabama in those days and ice really wasn't an issue.
I agree. I had a 2003 6 speed. Just not practical in ice covered Illinois. Sigh.

Well, Dawn and/or Bruce, if you're ever in DC I'll let you drive my '91. Preferably on a warm day with the top down and the UHP's on it. We can go on US 211 through the Shenandoahs for some fun.

I agree. I had a 2003 6 speed. Just not practical in ice covered Illinois. Sigh.

What's ice got to do with having a manual transmission? Or was that in reference to a Miata?

What's ice got to do with having a manual transmission? Or was that in reference to a Miata?

That was a Miata reference. Later Miatas with more horses could be squirelly on ice.

I do have to say tires make a HUGE difference. I towed my subaru with M&S tires up nearby icy hill in neutral.... with my Miata with Blizzak studless snow tires on it.

I do like manuals but I have found them to be incredibly unsafe while reading poa on an iPhone during rush hour.

Sent from my iPhone while driving at 76 mph somewhere in Kansas.

We have one stick (my '98 Maxima) and one automatic (my wife's 06 Oddessey) however, my wife would prefer a stick and would have one if you could get a modern minivan with one.

John

I do like manuals but I have found them to be incredibly unsafe while reading poa on an iPhone during rush hour.

Sent from my iPhone while driving at 76 mph somewhere in Kansas.

You are the reason insurance costs are so high.

No accidents and I've never made an insurance claim.

Sent from my iPhone while flying the ILS somewhere in Kansas.

Sheesh. Driving and websurfing wasn't enough, now you're flying IFR and texting so much you can't figure out which ILS you're on!:D:D:D

Back