STEC S60-2 garmin 650

ALBERT T. REEL

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AL
EVERYONE....GOOD EVENING!
I am new to the forum and after reading some of the posts, thought I would pose a question hoping someone may have some guidance for me. Avionics shop is working on getting the bugs out of a new install (garmin 650 two g5's being coupled to a s-tec s60-2. First problem was found to be the nav wiring was "forgotten" to be run from the 650 to autopilot. Now I am told that the autopilot will only make right turns in nav mode. They are telling me they have to wait until after the new years for stec to get assistance from tech support. Everything worked in heading mode and gpss steering was good. Not being at all well versed in this area, I would venture a guess at maybe an open wire? I guess it could also be in the autopilot roll computer? Any input would be appreciated...THANKS!....AL

Hello Al, I’m also new to the forums. I have worked on multiple A/P systems mostly STec 55X. But regardless there are similarities between that and the 60-2. That autopilot is an analog autopilot and will be receiving a DC voltage to command it’s heading and nav responses. If the heading mode is working fine and the nav mode is not then the course datum wiring could be either not wired or miswired. I would also make sure that the DG and heading jumpers were removed. Do you know if the heading mode is working? From the heading bug on the G5?

Hello Al, I’m also new to the forums. I have worked on multiple A/P systems mostly STec 55X. But regardless there are similarities between that and the 60-2. That autopilot is an analog autopilot and will be receiving a DC voltage to command it’s heading and nav responses. If the heading mode is working fine and the nav mode is not then the course datum wiring could be either not wired or miswired. I would also make sure that the DG and heading jumpers were removed. Do you know if the heading mode is working? From the heading bug on the G5?
Hi Isaac!....Yes, the heading mode was working well from the G5. The heading mode and the gpss steering both worked great when I brought it in to the shop. No Nav functions were working at all. (ILS, LOC ETC). I was told when I inquired some one forgot to run the feed from the GTN 650 TO S60-2. I am told now that the wiring has been run and they only have the S60-2 turning left....no right turn. The say they are waiting for STEC to return from the holidays for tech service and guidance. I ask if they were sure that all wiring was good and they claimed the rang all the wires out. I am sure they are looking at the Nav computer as being defective.... it could be, but.... I am not an avionics tech by any stretch of the word so I guess I am at a loss here. I was told multiple times that the Garmin equipment "played well" with the Stec equipment when I had the upgrade started. If the tech measured the proper wire back at the autopilot Nav computer wouldn't they see a voltage commanding the turn? I am not sure if they removed the jumpers or not.I have ask some questions and I sensed that I was treading on hallow ground. I am not questioning their abilities I just want to be kept up to date as to what is going on.....any input would be more than welcome...THANKS!....TIM

Interesting. Autopilots can be very confusing and frustrating at times so I understand your struggle. Do you know if the Garmin GTN650 is displaying its nav indication/HSI on the G5? If so, there are two options when interfacing an STec 60-2. The autopilot could be hooked up to the 650 directly or it could be hooked up to it indirectly through an analog/digital converter box called the GAD 29. Since your G5 is already supplying heading information to your autopilot(the heading bug), then your autopilot is already hooked up to a GAD29 at least for heading information. The GAD29 can get it’s navigation information from the 650 and supply it to the autopilot via two wires—DC voltage. Otherwise the autopilot would receive its navigation information from the 650. I’m not sure which way your autopilot has been wired for navigation information.

It needs both sets of connections to function properly. Both the connections (Heading and course error) from GAD29 to the roll computer, and the connections (+L/+R, +/- nav flag for roll +U/+D, +/- GS flag for pitch) from the 650 to the roll computer and the pitch computer.

If they are only getting roll one direction, assuming they’ve reverified pins, continuity and signal, then it would likely be an issue with the roll computer... but I’d more bet it’s off a pin.

Back