Stealth experiments in the office

Pi1otguy

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Fox McCloud
Today I am only one of 2 people on my floor at work today. Unfortunately the lights are motion controlled. Normally this isn't an issue except for the fact that the motion sensor is located a few cubes over on the cieling and doesn't detect movement in near my cube. So far I have jumped up and down waving my arms (really!) to no effect. I have to walk under what I'm assume is a 30-45* cone under the sensor to turn the lights on every 15 minutes or so.

Although I like the exercise, I want to be more creative and started throwing stuff under the sensor. This is not an IR sensor so it is mostly likely ultra sonic judging by its design. I started by throwing pens under it, but I suppose the Acoustic Cross Section (ACS) is too small. Moved up to highlighters with no results. I am now up to throwing an origami boulder (8.5 x 14 paper). The small origami boulder thrown passing directly under the sensor about 2-3 ft below doesn't have a high enough ACS. The large, loose packed boulder however does the job even with drag stopping it 3-5 feet short and 3-4 ft from the ceiling.

Being a pilot I want throw a paper aeroplane next.

Do any of you have suggestions (links or photo please) for a high ACS paper plane? A low ACS ("stealth") paper plane?

Here is a novel idea....Get a lamp!! :rofl:

Of course making paper airplanes is a lot more fun. :yes:

Here is a novel idea....Get a lamp!! :rofl:

Of course making paper airplanes is a lot more fun. :yes:

A lamp? You know how many forms and approvals I'd need?:rofl:

Besides, the paper airplanes are fun. Although the constant CFITs aren't encouraging.

BTW, I suppose the flat wing of the paper airplane gives it a low ACS then the origami boulder. It had to get somewhat closer to trigger the lights. :goofy:

is there a ventilation duct near the sensor? Hang a sheet of paper on a string and let the vent move the paper, triggering the motion sensor ... or

get a dog or

put the printer under the sensor ... every 10 minutes, print a page or

turn the monitor face up so it points at the sensor; install remote desktop, logmein, etc ... every 10 minutes, make the screen flash ... which wakes up the dog, which triggers the a/c which blows the paper which activates the lights ...

or

just go home!!!!

Although I like the exercise, I want to be more creative and started throwing stuff under the sensor. This is not an IR sensor so it is mostly likely ultra sonic judging by its design. ...?

I'll bet it is indeed an IR sensor. The diff: IR will have a translucent plastic cover. Ultrasonic will have a grill with holes in it. Sounds need holes. Light doesn't. It could be microwave, which can have a solid or foam cover.

In any case you need something moving in its view. An oscillating fan. IR would need for it to be warm. Microwave or sonic will see anything moving. Microwave will go nuts with moving metal.

Call one of the Presidential candidates and ask them to solve the problem; they've offered to fix everything else <g>. "Course, since they are big picture folks, you might hear a lot about how they will fix it while you sit in the dark.

Best,

Dave

Get a boom box and pump it up. Get those air molecules bumpin!

Or just put on your own clapper.

I'll bet it is indeed an IR sensor. The diff: IR will have a translucent plastic cover. Ultrasonic will have a grill with holes in it. Sounds need holes.

It has a grill so thats why I think its ultrasonic. In any case, I'm home now and the guys that normally sit under it will be in tomorrow. Turns out that the cubicle walls (~5ft in some places) mask large portions of the area. The only movements that it "sees" are within a few feet except for a narrow pathway that can be defeated by crawling below the walls and a extra slow squirm past a few pathways.

Also, a paper plane in level flight has to get close to trigger it (deflecting sound waves?) but a poorly trimmed rapidly rolling paper plane triggers it farther away then the origami boulder. Also, the loose packed boulder is better then the compact boulder, but I've already said that.

Oh well, the office sure is fun when your alone. And for the record I did accomplish quite a bit of work related work.:yes:

Back