Stay Home Dads

ScottPA

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
ScottPA
I'm just curious if there are any here.

I stopped pursuing a career in aviation seven years ago, electing to stay close to home instead. Our son is three now, starting preschool and we are expecting our second. I firmly believe I made the right decision and would not trade a minute I have had with my son or any of the time I will have with our next child. I am looking forward to getting back into flying now and to be in a position to work in aviation in three to five years, once our second is in school. I have already started taking my son to some local airports and can't wait to share this passion that has consumed much of my life with my children.

I'm one, although I didn't do it until my daughters started elementary school. With one left in high school (senior) at a boarding school we're already "empty nesting" it.

I'm too old to start another career (with all due respect to Col. Sanders) so I'm basically just a kept man these days.

Last edited:
Well, I'm a dad, and I stay at home mostly, so technically I qualify. My office is next to my bedroom. I do work there, but have plenty of time to spend with the kids. Mine are in HS now, so it's not as important as the first 10 years.

I'm also a work-at-home dad, and have been since before my youngest, who's now 9, was born. I still maintain a full time career; I simply trade the time I must take for kid stuff for working in the evenings and sometimes weekends.

Another work-at-home dad here. Daughter's in 1st grade. It's good.

I was fortunate enough to stop working and stay home with my 3 children for 4 years until they were all in school. I just want to say this to all the young fathers or fathers to be. I am a physician, and when I gave notice to my partners that I was quitting to stay at home with my kids, nobody could understand it. Almost everyone, from my mother to friends and collegueas thought I was crazy. However, one day my dad, who had been a 14 hr a day workaholic his whole life, surprised me and told me that if he had one regret, it was that he worked so much that he missed our whole childhood. It was difficult financially, and caused a few problems when I was ready to go back to work, but it was the best decision I ever made. If there's any way you can make it work, you'll never regret it.

Bingo! No one ever lay on their death bed groaning, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office!"

I take every chance I get to stay and work from home with my daughter (4). My wife stays at home, and I'm convinced that having an at-home parent is the best thing one can do in a child's early years. In five years I plan to switch to aviation for a career, which will require a relocation (can't afford to keep living here on an aviation salary), and probably significant time away from home. But I think that a 9 year old will be better equipped to deal with that (wife will still be home when the child is) so I won't feel too guilty.

'Scuse me, this inspired me to go find and tickle my daughter.

Thanks for the replies, all. I had a home office prior to our son being born. I can honestly say I am very impressed with the level of focus and ability to multi task for those of you who raise your kids while working out of the home.

Not a stay at home dad, but am a divorced dad raising kids with out the one who gave birth to them, lol. I do work full time. The kids are now in school which helps out a LOT! I live in my home town where there are no jobs in aviation. I do plan on getting back into flying again soon, though.

Back